mediterranean diet

Options
My dr recommended that I look into it. Anyone tried it? Looking for your thoughts. Thanks!

Replies

• CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean diet focuses a lot on healthy fats, minimal carbs, and lots and lots of fresh seasonal vegetables and local game / fish. I personally love the Mediterranean diet but there is no conclusive evidence to show weight loss from it. It definitely improves cardiovascular heart health bc of the switch from butter to olive oil, and consuming primarily fresh, well seasoned vegetables.

My only downside with Mediterranean eating is that it can get very, very expensive. I was going to the local fish market daily to plan out my meals, but you don't have to spend money on fish, you can always do chicken, but fish is so amazing with the flavors of Mediterranean cooking.

Add me on here and let me know if you ever need recipes, or help.
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My Doctor just recommended this diet for me as well. (high-ish cholesterol) I went to the library today to try to find a book or something on it but they didn't have anything.
    I already use olive oil instead of butter when possible and we rarely eat red meat but I will need to step up the fish/produce game. A lot. Do you have any website recommendations that have good info on this "diet"?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There isn't a defined "Mediterranean diet". It generally refers to a diet with lots of fish and vegetables, olive oil rather than butter, and little in the way of sauces.
  • mamadragon
    Options
    I also am starting up on the mediterranean diet. Mainly for two reasons (1) for the first time my choloestal (sp?) is elevated and (2) a DNA test showed that the diet would be best for weight loss and better heart health since I also have a high risk for heart problems. I already am a borderline diabetic and suffer from heart palapations every now and then. Trying to look everything up has been a headache. I'll like to know the specifics of what kinds of nuts and pastas I can have. I know that it says not to get honey or highly salted nuts. Pasta is part of the "diet" but I'm not sure what kind to get. It needs to be egg free (severe allergy) and gluten free if possible.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My Doctor just recommended this diet for me as well. (high-ish cholesterol) I went to the library today to try to find a book or something on it but they didn't have anything.
    I already use olive oil instead of butter when possible and we rarely eat red meat but I will need to step up the fish/produce game. A lot. Do you have any website recommendations that have good info on this "diet"?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet/CL00011
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    I also am starting up on the mediterranean diet. Mainly for two reasons (1) for the first time my choloestal (sp?) is elevated and (2) a DNA test showed that the diet would be best for weight loss and better heart health since I also have a high risk for heart problems. I already am a borderline diabetic and suffer from heart palapations every now and then. Trying to look everything up has been a headache. I'll like to know the specifics of what kinds of nuts and pastas I can have. I know that it says not to get honey or highly salted nuts. Pasta is part of the "diet" but I'm not sure what kind to get. It needs to be egg free (severe allergy) and gluten free if possible.

Have you tried asian noodles? Buckwheat noodles can be purchased 100% buckwheat and they are then gluten free and egg free. They taste great with stirfried vegies and siracha sauce or chili garlic sauce if you like spicy.
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Most dried pasta is egg-free (I remember from cooking for my Vegan friends ...)

I borrowed this book from my local library a few years ago - http://www.amazon.com/Mediterranean-Women-Stay-Slim-Too/dp/0060854227

Remember it being good. Lots of wisdom, and really yummy recipes! The women who wrote it is a chef, so it's full of exciting things to do with artichokes and that kind of thing :)
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    my favourite style of food :smile: i would be interested to hear of any recipe suggestions for vegetarian mediterranean cooking if anyone has any please?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    The Med is a large area that includes many Countries and many villages that will and do live and consume foods vastly different from each other..............there's more to the Med diet than fish, olive oil and vegetables. Anyhoo, any diet that contains minimally processed foods with a focus on an active lifestyle will work just as well.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    everything i have heard about this type of "diet" looks great! It also looks very conducive as a life style change or eating change that you could keep up for years to come! Good luck!
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Most dried pasta is egg-free (I remember from cooking for my Vegan friends ...)

I borrowed this book from my local library a few years ago - http://www.amazon.com/Mediterranean-Women-Stay-Slim-Too/dp/0060854227

Remember it being good. Lots of wisdom, and really yummy recipes! The women who wrote it is a chef, so it's full of exciting things to do with artichokes and that kind of thing :)

You had me at artichokes! :wink:
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The Flat Belly Diet is inspired by the Mediterranean diet and designed for weight loss, so I recommend looking into that. I've been trying to eat close to a Mediterranean/FBD diet. You definitely shouldn't be hungry on this diet because it allows you to eat so many healthy fats - oils, nuts (unsalted almonds, cashews, peanuts, etc. - the higher in monounsaturated fats, the better), dark chocolate + avocado. I opt for whole grains, such as brown rice, 100% whole wheat pasta and buckwheat noodles, which are high in protein.
  • mamadragon
    Options

Have you tried asian noodles? Buckwheat noodles can be purchased 100% buckwheat and they are then gluten free and egg free. They taste great with stirfried vegies and siracha sauce or chili garlic sauce if you like spicy.

I have thought of trying them but haven't had them yet. Thanks for the idea! :)
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I was also dr. recommended to do this diet.(high cholesterol) I would like a cookbook on it with nutritional valves in the book.
    Can anyone recommend a cook book? I have searched Amazon but got tired of reading reviews..haha
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My wife is on this diet. 3 weeks in, and lost 16 lbs. I know, new purging. Her cardiologist gave her the Med Diet because her blood sugar was highly elevated. She has not been eating sugar, but had a cortisone shot the day before. Steroids increase blood sugar severely. I cannot take steroids, they give me hiccups, father, grandfather, and one nephew are the same. This diet calls for a lot of fruits and nuts. As we all know both are good for you, but are high in calories.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    -Lean protein especially from fish and seafood
    -Lots of "healthy" fats such as olive oil and nuts
    -Whole grains, vegetables, and fruit are your carbs

That is at least the very base of the "diet". However, the "Mediterranean Diet" also talks about being more active, enjoying and savoring the foods you eat, and how it is a way of life.