5K in 46 Minutes ?

As most C25K apps suggest you will run 5K in 30 minutes but i guess its not 100% right for average users.
I run my 5k in 46 mins Is it bad or good timing ?????

Replies

• My brother can do 5k in 25 mins. I can do it in 32 mins. My husband is at about your time. Don't worry about how long other people take, race against yourself.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    As long as you're getting up from your couch and run -- you're doing awesome job. Your times will improve, don't worry about it, Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    As long as you're getting up from your couch and run -- you're doing awesome job. Your times will improve, don't worry about it, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Listen to the wisdom of Faerie.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    The world record is under 13 minutes! Not sure why I wrote that :-)
    I used to take about 40mins too - now more like 26.

Just run at your own pace and keep practising - it'll get easier and you'll get faster. Perhaps not 13 minutes, though ... :-)
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    I didn't run fast enough for my 5K program either (5K in 35 mins). But for me the goal is to run, and I'll become fast later. And 5K in 30 mins is pretty fast (At least, I don't see myself running that fast for a year or two).
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member

So very true! Don't let it bother you at all:)
  • TeashaLorna
    TeashaLorna Posts: 8 Member
    Running is personal, if you have been over weight for a long time you will walk and run differently than people who have not. I tended to shuffle and didn't even know it until I had been running for about a year, making it difficult to run with any speed. I was watching someone else run this summer and realized they looked different than I do when I run. I downloaded the Chi Running book and it has helped with my body line up and running. I am still not a fast runner but things are getting faster. I am around 40 mins vice 50 mins before for a 5 K. I now don't look at the time so much as how long I am running. Ok that didn't make sense, I now run for one hour once a week and usually get about 7.2 K in that hour, I also run two other times a week for 30 mins and I get around 4 K.
    I guess what I am saying is like everyone else don't focus on your speed but rather on the fact that you are out there doing it.
    I see this old man on my way to work everyday. He is probably 80 and he is out there running, very slowly but wow, I want to be just like him when I am 80.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    It's great. You're RUNNING 5K.

Keep it up. Increase your time very slowly. Don't hurt yourself, and keep running.

I'm pushing 50 years old. My 5k is 30 minutes (regularly) and 28 when I'm in official 5Ks.

It wasn't that "fast" for a long long time.
  • As long as you're getting up from your couch and run -- you're doing awesome job. Your times will improve, don't worry about it, Rome wasn't built in a day.

+1

I used to be 40mins for 5k and now, a while later, I'm 51min for 10k and I WAS the kid who always came last in school at distance running. I only stuck with this because I built up very gradually.

My own personal view is that there are two golden rules for running (which have worked for me):

1) Start every run at what feels like a very lazy pace for you, not anyone else and only speed up when you feel like it

2) Always quit before you really want to. This one sounds odd and the "Gym Monsters" will shout "What?!" but this one is important for normal people. If you finish every walk/jog/run/whatever and you feel wrecked, you will get fed up with the whole thing pretty quickly. If, on the other hand, you stop when you feel like you could keep going and you still feel good then that's what will keep you coming back.

This turned me from someone who got tired climbing stairs into someone who runs 10k just to feel refreshed.
  • TeashaLorna
    TeashaLorna Posts: 8 Member
    Great advice wibblefps.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    The c25k is not to run a 5k in 30 min....it is only preparing you to run for 30 minutes straight. Your faster speed/pace will come with practice. 3 years ago my pace was 15 min miles but on race day your adrenaline pushes you to new limits and completed with a pace just under 13 min mile. So for starters, you are doing GREAT! Best of luck!
  • If you keep running enough the times will improve. My 5k is between 22-23 minutes but it started over 30 minutes
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    As most C25K apps suggest you will run 5K in 30 minutes but i guess its not 100% right for average users.

I'm a fairly new C25K graduate. I've only run 3.1 miles twice, both slightly over 46 minutes. I'd only get to 2 with the 30 min runs on the app. I know it's slow, but I'm doing it without stopping, which would have been inconceivable to me before I started this. I signed up for C25K in two weeks time, it was spur of the moment. I had wanted to wait until I was faster, but my subdivision does this every year and it seemed like a good time. I'm hoping not to be last, but someone has to be.

I think your profile pic says it all :smile:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    That's about my pace!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    as you run for more time (both in a single session, and in days), you will naturally get faster. When I started running in May (around Memorial Day), my 5k time was around 50 minutes (avg pace 13 mins). Just this morning, I ran 5k in under 33 minutes (avg pace 10:30). that in an inprovement of 2:30 minutes per mile in less than 4 months. you WILL get faster if you stick with it. :bigsmile:
  • every one is different , age, size etc and you will have good and bad days . in your mind treat it as fun unless you are training for something ? you are getting out there that's the main thing , time and distance are the bonus .
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    It took me about 50 minutes at first. Now I'm running 5k in under 40 minutes, and I expect that time to continue to improve.

Speed will come with experience - you're doing great!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    When I finished C25k I was not running 5k. But once you hit that milestone of 30 minutes running, you can start increasing your speed. I now run a 5k in 27 minutes.

See C25k as just giving you a baseline fitness level from which to start.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    When I finished C25k, my it time was about 45 to 46 minutes. Your pace will get better over time. Just keep running. :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Like everything, it's only a suggestion. I'm running for 15 months now and still have not yet done a 5k in under 30 minutes.

It doesn't really matter whether you can do a 5k in 15 minutes or in 3 hours, all that matters is that you are doing it.

p.s. my first 5k last year was 43 minutes. So I will say that 46 minutes is a good time for somebody starting running. :laugh: