Weight Loss Plateau!! Help!!

Options
I have been at 165 for over 3 months. I have gone from not being able to run 3 miles to running 6 regularly. I'm eating a very healthy and balanced diet, drinking as much water as I can and trying to change up my workouts and my body is at a stand still. I have lost 18 lbs since last christmas when I started working on it. I'm happy that I've kept it off but I need to shock my body to shed more lbs. Any good suggestions?

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Bumping - want to see responses.....
  • starheart24
    Options
    Have you tried zigzaging your calories? Throughout the week you will have "low" and "high" calorie days. I have heard that this helps!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    try some stregnth training to increase you lean muscle mass. The more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest because it will boost your BMR. Also adding in new exercise will give your body something new to respond to.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I have been stalled at 163-165 for the past few months and it's irritating.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I agree add strength training. Also, do you eat you exercise calories? If not you may not be eating enough. You could also change your weight loss goal to a smaller amount. If you are at 2 lbs/week try 1.5 or 1.0.
  • BayleeGirl
    Options
    Strength training it is!! I have tried some different high-intensity cardio interval workouts and I haven't done them in awhile. I'll bring em' out again!
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    don't give up!!!same thing happened to me. Increased daily calorie intake by 100 and bang!!Lost 4lbs in a week good luck!Took about a week to change .Shocked me!
  • lonypony
    lonypony Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Mix it up a bit. I am no where near my goal and plateued. But I re-jigged my exercise, mixed it up a bit and dropped my expected weight loss in my settings. My calories increased and I lost weight last week and am on a high to lose some this week too.
  • BayleeGirl
    Options
    you ate more calories and lost weight?? how does that work??
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck for a week too, but that is my usual MO, don't ask me why, I dunno. I am sure you have gained some muscle and lost some fat.

I was about two weeks once on a no lose plateau, and I checked my measurements, I was really surprised to see how many inches I'd lost, the evil scale is not the only way to mark you progress :bigsmile:
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    try some stregnth training to increase you lean muscle mass. The more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest because it will boost your BMR. Also adding in new exercise will give your body something new to respond to.

I agree. Adding a little bit of lean muscle mass is a great way to burn off fatty tissue.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo!

Sounds like the concensus is for some weight training, and it is something I keep hearing as well (though I keep trying to ignore it...)

Shall we embark upon a new phase of fitness wherein the weights/weight machines become our friends and torture devices? ^_^

Nice work on the running though, you'd kick my butt!

Oh, in regards to your query regarding shifting calories up and seeing more loss - you body eventually adjusts to whatever amount of calories you give it. Sometimes letting your system know that it does not have to hoard away every bit of energy in the food is all it takes for it to free up some of that stored stuff. (In the most non-technical explanation EVER.) I guess you could liken it to being REALLY strapped for cash - when you are, you are far more careful about spending ANY money. When things are less tight in the wallet, you can let things go a bit more without always wondering how you are going to afford x, y or z.

That may make sense, or I might just be crazy.
    Hope it helps (or at least give you something to laugh at if not so useful!)

Cheers.
    ^_^
  • BayleeGirl
    Options
    It definitely makes sense! And you're telling me to eat more.. I can handle that challenge :) Haha