Need Your Opinion!

Options
Good Morning Everyone!

How would you feel about a new restaurant opening in your area that mainly focused on healthy eating, serving nothing but the freshest fruits and vegetables and low calorie foods when preparing meals. A restaurant that offered breakfast lunch and possibly also dinner offering meals that fit your new lifestyle. Would you be more inclined into eating out (on-the-go) if you knew exactly the amout of calories and fat in what you were buying? This restaurant would offer meals anywhere from 100 calories to 500 calories depending on what you are looking for for the meal you are purchasing?

I am currently entertaining the thought of opening up a restaurant however I don't want to open a restaurant if it means that I have to offer unhealthy foods that is horrible for our health. In Canada alone it is estimated that 10 to 25% of all teenagers and 20 to 50% of all adults have a weight problem. Wouldn't it make it easier those of us who live a busy lifestyle to have a healthier option when needing to eat out on the go?

What are your thoughs? Good or bad I want to hear what you have to say.

Thanks Everyone. Have a great day!!

:smile:

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I've had the same thought. Good Luck if you decide to move forward.
  • michelletr
    michelletr Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i would eat there....right now if me and the hubby go out for a date night i need to know in advance that we are going out so i can watch my calorie intake for that day so i can eat supper, or whatever we do and still be with-in my calorie intake for the day...so i pretty much starve until supper time....not fun . i think it's a great idea
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    That would be awesome! I just got off the phone with my boyfriend who wants to come up to my work at lunch time and eat with me. He is going to bring us food. When trying to decide on what I wanted I became frustrated, as I could not think of a single place where I could get something healthy. Even the "healthy" stuff on fast food menus are only "healthy" if you get them super plain. I want a full lunch that is healthy. We ultimately decided on Subway. Uuugh another day of Subway. Oh the price I pay to eat out with the boyfriend. I say go for it!!!
  • Luckymam
    Options
    As I don't eat out that often, I wouldn't be bothered about eating healthily and knowing how any calories I'd eaten. I have whatever I fancy when I go to a restaurant regardless of whether it's considered healthy or not.

However, if you also offer breakfasts and lunches, then I may be inclined to go there when I'm at work if I can still track how many calories I'm eating.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    We had one like that in Amarillo. It seemed to do good buisness, but for some reason it went under. Personally I thinnk if you there was one out there and people knew about it, it would do well.

but as in all things, service, quality and dedication is the key.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I would love a place like that! I too have thought about opening a place like that. But I have never cooked in a restaurant setting before. That and I would have to find the $$ backing for it.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    There's a place like that near where I work and they're ALWAYS super busy AND they always run out of food by the time the lunch hour is over! They're only open for breakfast and lunch and if you want lunch there, you better get there early. They only offer 3 choices - meat, fish, or vegetarian with a variety of veggies, salads, and usually a rice or pasta side dish if you want it. The menu changes daily so it's always something new.

I'd love it if more places were like that.
  • Vegebel
    Options
    I think that sounds like a fantastic idea! You may want to offer meals that are higher in calories that 500 though. The guy I'm dating eats 2,500 calories a day so one of his meals should be 800-850 calories (he eats 3 meals). It'd be great to know all the nutritional info though. I am always a repeat customer at places I can find nutritional info for! In Baton Rouge we have a restaurant called Truly Free Bakery that offers health food at reasonable prices and it's thriving. They have great lunch specials like Taco Tuesdays as well as baked goods that cater to people with food allergies. Good Luck!
  • smarie62
    Options
    I think that would be great! Right now I am sitting here trying to figure out where to take Grandma for her birthday lunch and still maintain my healthy eating. It's gonna be tough.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    There's a place like that that just opened up near my work. Its all organic live food. (if you want their website - feel free to email me)
    i haven't been yet, as its rather expensive - which is to be expected when its all fresh food instead of frozen processed food. But also, I haven't gone because even though its healthier choices, I don't know how to calculate it because their nutritional info is not available yet. Until that happens I won't bother. However, if they did have that info, and I liked it, I would probably switch from my usual lunch spot (when I forget to pack lunch) to this place.
  • bmq98
    bmq98 Posts: 78
    Options
    That's a good question. The restaurant sounds great, especially if you were to open it in a weight and health conscious area, like california or south beach miami where it appears people are more conscious about their bodies and weight.

Eating healthy is a challenge when eating out, especially when better restaurants serving healthier foods are not nearby. I think one of the issues for many restaurant goers is convenience.

I would love a healthier fast food chain than McDs, BKing, etc., etc.

Best wishes to you!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There's a place like that that just opened up near my work. Its all organic live food. (if you want their website - feel free to email me)
    i haven't been yet, as its rather expensive - which is to be expected when its all fresh food instead of frozen processed food. But also, I haven't gone because even though its healthier choices, I don't know how to calculate it because their nutritional info is not available yet. Until that happens I won't bother. However, if they did have that info, and I liked it, I would probably switch from my usual lunch spot (when I forget to pack lunch) to this place.

My first thought after Cool Beans was the price point. For only the "healthiest and freshest" ingredients, you are going to pay a pretty for them and of course have to pass that on to your customer. This is a tough economy to introduce a place that is on the higher end of the price point. A lot of restaurants over portion their meals. You could have some more standard options, pastas, meats, etc just more healthy portions with filling sides of veggies and salads.

You would have to market it well with gyms, doctors offices and medical facilities, your chamber of commerce and maybe even some local media. If you could get a location near a gym or some health facility, that would be great!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    We have a chain down here in South Florida (I think there are 3-4 restaurants) called Nature's Way Cafe and I have eaten there quite a few times for lunch, it is only open for breakfast and lunch. I don't think it (or something like it) would do well for dinner. Too "light" and when people go out to eat for dinner, they want a place that has alcohol, atmosphere, etc..

My opinion --- I think it is good but it is never very busy, despite the fact I live in a busy and health conscious area with gyms on every corner. I doubt they make much money. The lunches are something like $10-12, and it is stuff I can make at my house, so I tend to make it here instead of going there. But on occasion, I like it.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There's a place like that near my house and there is always a line out the door. Really great food and all the calories on the board with the food. I love it. But I live in Los Angeles so location may be a factor.
  • mrsyatesy
    Options
    I would be there in a shot!
    If you combined the restaurant with a take out service where I could buy a breakfast which was healthy and I am not standing behind the guy having triple sausage bacon & egg sandwich for his breakfast that would be a bonus. I am really limited to where I can grab lunch and you know what, I hate hate hate bready rolls / subs (although I have a real weakness for FRESH homemade wholemeal bread still warm ............ anyway!!) so not even subway can make me happy with its new "we're healthy" offerings.
    I love eating healthily, but I also like to not have to make every meal myself and I hate buying stuff in plastic so really I am too fussy - but I dont think I am alone!! If you found a good location with good footfall day and evening and you get your target market right, you'll have us all there for the new MFP Christmas party 2011 :laugh:
    Good luck with your idea! :flowerforyou:
  • tater8589
    Options
    OH OH... open one in Colorado Springs Please :)
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    On one hand, I would say I object -- for fear that it could put me out of business since I work as a personal chef -- and I prepare meals for people that are healthy and diet specific to their needs. All they have to do is reheat them.

In all seriousness, it is a great idea. Good luck.
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My husband and I say we need something like this weekly!! There is NOTHING to get on the go besides Subway.
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Hmmm... driving from San Diego to Canada for lunch is probably not cost effective :frown: but would you deliver?!

Look up "Good on ya"- it's a small San Diego chain. Their price point isn't too bad-but obviously more expensive than McD's being Organic and all. The place was always packed when I went there even though it was set back off a side road in a corporate area. Food was okay-good, but lacked pizazz- lots of wraps and soups. Breakfast and lunch only. They didn't list calories and that would've been nice to know. They had two locations plus they did some lunch carts in other corporate areas- which would be a great market to tap into- being as no one has time anymore to leave for lunch.

I think this would overall a great idea but you would have to pick your city very well and market like no other. I know there are restaurants like this here in SD but I'm not driving 30 minutes to go to them... I'd want it to be down the street. :-)