Help with running in college!

I'm a senior (girl) in high school and I really love running, but I've never been able to join the cross country team at my school. If I start training now can I make a college team next year? I'm in shape-- 5'6" and 108 pounds and I can run a mile in 7:30. (Probably faster if I really tried.) And I ran my first 5k last week with a time of 26:30. How much do I need to improve to make the team in college? Are there any specific requirements?

also, if you have any training advice that would be super.

Thanks!

Replies

• Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Each school is different, NCAA division 1 to division 3 will have faster times than schools who are not in those divisions.

look at the schools you want to go to and check out their cross country team page and see what times they are running.

You can search online for a training plan that you like, runnersworld.com usually has good training plans for different speeds.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    It's certainly possible, so keep training and improving your endurance and speed. Keep in mind other athletes at the college level have most likely been running for much longer and will be running sub 20 min 5ks. I'm certain some will be around 15 minutes.