Is my body in starvation mode?

Options
I am almost 5"2 and I weigh 119lbs. My BMR is around 1400 and I don't do any exercise on the weekends but an hour of walking on weekdays. I would like to reach my goal of 100lbs (I would still be in the healthy weight category) but I don't really mind how long it takes. I am currently eating 1000-1200 calories in a bid to lose weight and my body generally feels fine and I don't get hungry. Despite this, I am getting quite scared about the fact that my body might be going into starvation mode and in turn slowing down my metabolism. Is my body fine on around 1000 calories? Or should I start eating more? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

Replies

• mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    are you losing weight??
    if so, how much per week?
    you should start out by eating 1450-1500. With your walking you should be able to lose if your BMR is truley 1400.
    Your better off starting high because once you stop losing eats easier to cut more cals...hard to cut cals on 1K diet
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you're frightened your body's going into starvation mode, try increasing your daily calorie intake to 1200-1400 for a week or two and see where that puts you; if you still see no progress, try increasing a little bit more.

You didn't say what your age or gender were, so I'm going to assume (based on nothing) that you're a 25 year old female. At 119 lbs, 5'2" and age 25, your BMR is 1346 calories. (I used this site <http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/>) That means that if you are eating less than 1350 calories a day, your body is not getting the energy it needs to function for the day. Your BMR is the amount of calories your body uses if you are doing absolutely nothing all day - like sleeping.

However, if you would like to insist on following the 1200 calories a day rule, I would recommend investing in a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) to wear while you walk for your hour on the weekdays - then eat back your exercise calories. The one I use is a Polar FT4, and I believe it only costed $50 or $60; I believe it was well worth the investment and has helped me keep great track of my fitness.