Retiring Running Shoes, Lots of Questions...

Options
Currently running in Saucony Triumph 10's, love them, but getting a little wear in the mesh on the outer side of the toebox and have logged about 325 miles in them, typically running 25+ miles a week.

I have another 80ish miles of training runs before my next race in 5 weeks and I'm not sure when I should be switching shoes. THey are ok now, but I'm feeling after another 80 miles and crossing the 400 mark they are not going to be my best option for raceday.

Just started taking up running seriously this year, so its a first time I'm encountering needing to get new shoes so quickly and fitting that into my training/race schedule.

Looking for advice from some seasoned runners...specifically...

1) At this point, I'm just planning to get another pair of Triumph 10's, don't want to change foot gear, though not sure its a good expenditure if the mesh on the toebox wears at 300miles.

2) What is your typical break-in mileage for a new pair of shoes?

3) Any recommendations on mixing up footwear for different types of runs to get more mileage out of shoes? I've seen some people recommend using a different shoe for weekend long-run training and for short, race-pace runs during the week. Anyone do this?

Thanks!

Replies

• AisforAmazing19
    Options
    I am not sure what you'd classify as "seasoned" but this is my third season of running, now steadily at 20-25mpw, training for a half so maxing out at 30mpw. I also run in Sauconys, though I wear the Omni 10s and Ride 5s.

1) That is personal. I think shoes last different amounts of time for different people. If you think 325 miles is a good amount of mileage and you like the shoes and they don't cause you any problems, I'd stick with them.

2) I have not noticed a significant break in time on my Sauconys, either the Omnis or the Rides, but I would not wear a new pair to a race or on a very long run for the first time, just in case.

3) I just started doing this over the last month or so, because the Omnis are a full support shoe and the Rides are a little lighter and more flexible so I wear them Omnis for longer stuff and the Rides for shorter stuff. It seems to help my feet and legs recover better and running in the Rides feels SUPER fast (full disclosure: I am not super fast)

All in all, if you don't think your shoes will last another 80 miles, I'd get new ones soon and start wearing them, maybe alternating with your old shoes for a few runs if you are concerned about the breaking-in period. That's usually what I do and it has seemed to work well. I'm sure you'll get all kinds of different advice about what has worked for other people; this is the time to get all the advice you can and sort out what works best for you!

PS runningwarehouse.com usually has pretty cheap shoes and if you use to code runblog10 you can almost always get 10% off, plus free two-day shipping!

Good luck!
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Thanks!
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Any exercise shoes should be changed after about 400 miles. I changed my aerobic boots after that, my training shoes, runners and now my walkers. All get binned at about 400 miles.

OK, some of them are so very nice still that I wear them as ordinary shoes. But not for training. I know the manufacturers set the mileage low so they can sell you new ones but you have to think... how much support are they really giving you now, or is it just that they feel so comfy?

Try on a new pair, you'll be surprised / horrified. I think you'll be fine with 80 miles of wear in, about 25% of the shoes expected life. You are right the old ones probably won't last a race, well they might but you may not!

And even if your wallet hates you your joints will love you!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    With 80 miles until your next race I would say now would be the time to get the new shoes. Do some shorter runs first, and maybe wear them around the house for a couple of days before you try them on a long run though. Now is not the time you want a foot injury!

Its looking like I will be in the same position in about a month, as I'm in the middle of marathon training and dreading the 2nd pair of shoes I'm going to have to buy this year! :)
  • elfpearl
    Options
    Before running my marathon in July, I read the ideal mileage on a pair of shoes for race day is 35-40 miles...I can't remember if that was specifically for a full marathon or any race. Anyway, my experience has been that my shoes start needing to be replaced at about 350, sometimes 400 miles. For me personally Nike Pegasus are the shoe of choice...I ran a half marathon in a pair that was almost brand new and they felt great. My friend had the same issue with her Saucony's and the mesh...it breathes well, I know, but doesn't last as long. If I were you I would keep using the shoes you're in as long as they feel good, but I would definitely get a new pair and alternate so you can wear the newer ones for your race. And if the Saucony feel good on your feet, stick with them! 300 miles is actually quite a bit on one pair of shoes, especially if they're working for you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    1. Personally, I would stick with the shoe I liked. 325 is pretty good mileage and the difficulty I have in finding a new shoe outweighs getting a few extra miles out of them. I have a hard time finding shoes though so that colors my opinion.

2. I haven't ever really broken in a pair. The extent of my break in would be running my shorts runs during the week before taking them out on a longer run.

3. I know a lot of people alternate shoes or have different shoes for workouts. I don't. I'd like to, I just don't.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If you found a shoe that works for you stick with it. I'm on my 6th and 7th pair of addidas supernova glides. I'm not good at tracking mileage on my shoes, so I don't know how many miles I get out of them. Typically I replace when I start to get shin splints (so a little later than I should). I have 2 pairs in rotation at a time. My new model is generally released in January so I generally search for discounts in november or december and buy 3 pairs for under $200 total. I generally use 3 pairs a year. So for me that's over 400 miles but under 500 per pair, and I do wear them until they are worn out.

I do think you should work on entering a new pair into your workouts. Remember if you do rotate 2 pairs of shoes regularly (every other run) that will allow them to dry out completely between runs extending the life of the shoe by a little bit.

To break in my new shoes, I wear them around town for a day, do 1 or two short workouts, then try for a long run. Generrally I'll wear a pair for 3 long runs before using for a half marathon.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Just ordered a new pair, same ones.

Afterschool.com has 25% off one item with code schoolrocks

Took the $120 pair of shoes to $95, even the $120 was $15 cheaper than I paid when they were first released.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    A guy I worked with would buy two pairs of the same shoe and alternate them each run. Stretches their life out a little.
  • pattie521
    Options
    Many say 300-400 miles on a pair of shoes. I rotate in a new pair about 150 miles and can a little more out of them since you're giving one pair more time to rebound. I once ran a half marathon in a brand new pair of the same brand/model and had no problem, I actually did better.

I am now switching to a new brand and will rotate these in with my current ones and will continue to rotate between 2 different brands.