Black olives?

Options
So recently I've noticed I've kind of plateaued, after losing almost 8 pounds. I'm attributing it to the fact that last weekend, I ate WAAAYYY too much pizza hut, and then all this week I haven't been working out, due to a random tooth ache/headache, when I normally workout 5 days a week. My lunches every day have consisted of cucumbers, carrots, a tablespoon of ranch dip, a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, a small slice of cheddar cheese, a 100 calorie pack of Sun Chips, and 8 black olives. I know it sounds like a lot, but I love eating a lunch full of variety, and none of it is too unhealthy. I have been under my calories every day for 7, almost 8 weeks, with the exception of the dreaded Pizza Hut day. I've also only been drinking water all this week. I've mostly cut out soda with the exception of one bottle on the weekends. And I always account for it....Anyways...A friend told me the reason that I'm at a plateau is because of those 8 medium black olives....Am I the only one that thinks that is completely ridiculous, or could she be completely right?

Replies

• BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Where's your protein? What do you eat for breakfast and dinner? How many calories are you netting?

Need more information.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    The olives are most certainly NOT the problem.

Also, a week does not make a plateau. They pizza very likely could have caused some water retention, but it wouldn't totally derail you.

How many calories are you averaging? Opening your diary would make it a lot easier for us to point you in the right direction
  • shelbybaughman0321
    Options
    For breakfast, when I'm going to work out that day, I drink a protein shake with almond milk. And I can't say what I have for dinner every day because it's always something different. This past week, though it's been a "fend for yourself" dinner most nights, and 3 nights I ate blueberry Eggos with low calorie syrup and low calorie butter. And the past two nights I've been eating chicken and dumpling soup with a few crackers. This past week I've been netting anywhere between 1,000 to 1,400 calories. I'm allowed 1,900.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    8 medium black olives = 40 calories, if I recall correctly.

No way that is causing a temporary lull in your loss.

Weight loss isn't linear. There will be weeks where you do everything right (and don't have Pizza Hut) and still don't lose. There will be weeks where you lose extra. There may even be weeks where you gain a pound (it especially happens before TOM, due mostly to water retention). This week I was over more days that I wasn't, and I still lost a pound :ohwell: It's weird like that. It sounds like you can keep doing what you've been doing and should be okay. (Edit: there's no reason to stay under your "allowed" by 500+ calories, but if you feel satisfied and your net is down there because of some exercise, you're probably okay. Just don't freak out if you end up with 2000 calories on some days, too. It balances out :wink:)

I wouldn't call it a plateau until it's been more than a month (and possibly longer) with no loss. I know, just arguing verbage there...
  • gwineveve301
    gwineveve301 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a bigger breakfast in the morning and try to stay only 200-300 below your calorie intake. Any lower than that and you could possibly put your body into starvation mode. Have you thought about more variety in your diet? More protein in the morning could help.
  • karenboy29687
    karenboy29687 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Uh, no. It really doesn't sound like a lot......it sounds more like a snack!