Any ideas aboul calf muscle pain - getting desperate!

Options
For years I have suffered with my calf muscles - even before I became very overweight. When I walk even slightly up hill, even for a very short distance I get pain and tightness in my lower calf all the way down to the ankle. Now I am trying to up my exercise but this is putting me off...I feel so stressed about encountering a hill - walking is bad enough never mind jogging!

Today I walked about 40 mins and on the way home up a hill I was in so much pain I had to sit in the grass verge and was nearly in tears. I have tried stretching but seems to have no effect.!!!

What could be the problem - surely this cannot be normal.... it starts hurting within a minute of walking up any kind of incline (and I live half way up a mountain in North Wales so avoiding hills is hardly realistic)

Replies

• Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a Dr? Specifically a Podiatrist? I would start there as I did when I recently had an achilles strain that started at the bottom of my calf down to my ankle. Took a few weeks to heal and is back to normal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    my idea is to see a doctor
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Try stretching

Swimming

Moderately paced walking

Physiotherapy
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    No, I would say that is not normal, and yes you do need to see a doctor. In the mean time I would say it does seem like something is pulling too much in there. Couple thing you can try to see if they help:

Have someone massage the calf muscles or self massage with a foam roller. I know I carry a lot of knots, especially in that area and if they start to tighten up too much they can start pulling on things in my feet and cause a lot of pain.

It could also be a bit of the opposite, and you don't have enough calf strength so that anything you do which focuses on those muscles over a long period of time is causing extreme fatigue in that area. If this is the case you may want to think about working in some calf raises to build up that area, but you'll have to deal with the soreness for a while as you build up strength.

Ok, bit of an odd one, but I started developing very painful tender spots in my calves when I was in college. Turns out I was depositing TOO MUCH calcium and it had acutally started basically crystalizing in my calf muscles. A couple sessions using ultrasound with my trainer to break it up and backing off on the milk put a stop to that one.

Hope some of that helps, but I would still definitely recommend a trip to the doctor/podiotrist especially if it continues.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try a good soak in epsom salts, a magnesium supplement or a calcium/magnesium combo, some heat or ice as feels most comfortable, and some lower leg strengthening exercises. If none of that works, visit a physical therapist and have him or her evaluate your gait.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    +1 for the epsom salt soak, forgot about that one!

Also, making sure you are getting enough potassium in can be helpful.
  • pegbl
    pegbl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had something very similar happen several years ago.
    After complaining to a doctor, it was diagnosed as a posture problem.
    It seems that since I carried a lot of weight in the front of my body that my center of gravity was causing me to walk slightly bent over.
    But instead of pains in my lower back and hips where I would have guessed I'd feel it - my calfs would turn rock hard and hurt when I walked.

I was sent to physical therapy who gave me several targeted exercises to do over a couple of months that helped with my posture and fixed my calf problem.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    A friend told me she got leg pains if she didn't get enough potassium. Potassium is rarely listed on food labels or in the MFP database, and it's an important nutrient. Check the Internet for how much you need and foods high in potassium. A baked potato is about the best, about two times that of the famous banana.
  • rensife
    rensife Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with JH !

First - Are you dehydrated??? Second - are you low on potassium .... (From Dehydration) Do the pinch test or try a gatorade and see if that helps -

Next - what foot gear are you wearing? If you are in flip flops - problem may be solved - Knee pain can be attributed to no support on the front of the foot, so I am sure calf pain could be associated with the wrong shoes.

I got the new most expensive Dr Scholl's inserts, and when I stepped onto them, by ankles, hips, back, shoulders and jaw all went into proper alignment - it was amazing - like someone had a string on top of my head and pulled me up and into proper posture! (rebate on them too!)
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    1) go to a good running shoe store. They should watch you walk and make recommendations on the right shoes. The right alshoes make a bigger difference than most people think.
    2) No relief. Go to a good sports Dr. I went late after I completely obliterated my Achilles tendon.
    3) keep stretching and walking.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I say stretch them out daily on a foam roller. Also make sure your shoes aren't worn out. And stay hydrated. Not just during excercise but all the time and that means drink lots of plain water, not soda, sports drinks, tea, coffee or juice.
  • salholloway
    salholloway Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone - this is really helpful advice.