Shirataki Noodles.

Options
I have heard good things and bad things. Opinions? I bought some, but havent tried them.yet.

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Tried those and the texture bother me.
  • mira2602
    mira2602 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I tried them, they smell a bit and you have to wash them to rinse the fishy smell....I guess the taste is okish, but prefer good old pasta....
  • lahsq
    Options
    I like them with Asian food. Cooking them in a wok with some shoyu makes them pretty good. As pasta in Italian, no good.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I like them. Rinse them well, dry fry them until translucent, put in a paper towel and squeeze to get ride of the extra moisture. They don't really have a taste, but take one the flavors of whatever they are mixed with. If you like pasta and want to have a bowl of spaghetti, I would forgot the shirataki noodles and just have the pasta. I have used the tofu fettuccine shirataki with success. They spaghetti-ish noodles are good for stir-fry type meals and soup.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    They can be very good if you wash them through several changes of water. Otherwise they taste like fish
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    I was super excited when they arrived in the mail. I rinsed them 3 times and they didn't smell so bad. I made them with pasta sauce like spaghetti but could not get around the strange texture,

Waste of money IMHO, and now just do whole wheat pasta in smaller portions...for the most part.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I had one bite and vowed never again. Too fishy, even after rinsing.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I get the NoOodles brand. They require a good rinsing and you can and should cook them (you can stir-fry without oil in a very hot pan, they shouldn't stick) with vegetables or sauce. They have a weird texture but its similar to rice noodles and other Asian noodles you find in various soups and other dishes. I enjoy them in place of vermicelli in soup or just to top with lots of veggies. They don't really fill me up though so I use them as a vessel for other stuff :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the texture :sick:
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Had no problem with the texture but the smell. I would only use them in something like asian cuisines where the fish taste fits well. If I would put fish sauce in it - I would use them. With marinara or alfredo - no. Weird to me.
  • EIEIElenaO
    EIEIElenaO Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yep, like 'em. Reminds me to put them on my grocery list to make tuna noodle casserole!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I love konjac noodles, hardly any cals. I'm not sure what the smell is about that some people mention. Maybe it's from a particular brand? The konjac ones I buy have no smell.
  • katcassar1
    Options
    Love them! They taste pretty good with hot sauce, imo.
  • red_rose_dragon
    Options
    I love them with 2 tbsp light sour cream. 2 wedges of laughing cow light cheese. Salt. Pepper. Voila! Instant alfredo! :) Definitely have to wash them first...twice. Then toss in a pan. It's not as weird a texture as you might think. I was half way through a bowl of them before I stopped and reminded myself I wasn't eating pasta.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I rinse them once & then boil them in the microwave for about 4 mins. Easy done. No fishy smell, no strange taste & they even have a better texture. I prefer the rice one they are great for making sushi with.
  • TMichelleMurphy
    Options
    I haven't quite mastered the texture, but for the taste, instead of just rinsing them, try boiling them for 5 minutes and then rinse them. The taste is gone after boiling. (Then I dry fry for the texture but need to work on that a bit more.)
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I JUST made them for lunch. I opened them and Im with you guys on the "fish smell", but I boiled them, about 5 min -7 min. The texture is a bit chewy. Could be associated with over cooked calamari. But the noodles were very good. Not much flavor, so you need a flavorful sauce. I made my "low calorie " peanut sauce- which is just peanut butter, fresh orange/lemon/ or lime juice, chili flakes and water. They were good! Kids loved them too. The texture is different but doesnt phase me. I reccomend ppl try boiling them and try them for youselves, if you havent. Btw 8oz of noodles are 40 cal! Thanks for all the opinions/ prep advice :D