How to "diet" without feeling so tired all the time?

Options
5'4" 130 lbs. Trying to maintain 1400 net calories per day. I exercise everyday for around 40 minutes. But I feel so tired all day. I even have difficulty breathing.

How do I lose a few pounds of fat but without feeling that tired & unhealthy?

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Visit doctor and get bloodwork.
  • enchanted777
    Options

Actually I used to have iron deficiency anemia a few years ago. Could that be it??? I think I eat enough iron in my food though.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you are tired all the time, it may be that you are sick. You should check with your doctor. You may be eating too few calories for your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and activity level but it could also mean you are not getting enough nutrients from WHAT you eat. Since your diary isn't open I couldn't take a peek at your diet. If you want me to look and lead you to some information, give me a holler. I'm a retired librarian. Getting folks to the information they need is the sunshine of my life.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

Actually I used to have iron deficiency anemia a few years ago. Could that be it??? I think I eat enough iron in my food though.

Visit doctor and get blood work. For all you know it could be a thyroid issue. We are not medical professionals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Blood work will show that.
    Are you eating nutritious foods?
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options

YES! Iron deficiency anemia would make you feel exactly like this. I have it and when i need iron i feel like complete crappola and am zapped of any energy.

Edit: so in other words... GO TO THE DOCTOR
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor. Also low vitamin d can make you tired and thyroid problems.
    Are you getting enough sleep? Do you get good sleep - do you snore and maybe have sleep apnea?
    Lots of things to consider.
    As far as diet is concerned try to eat slow release carbs rather than sugary foods. And lots of lean protein.
  • enchanted777
    Options
    If you are tired all the time, it may be that you are sick. You should check with your doctor. You may be eating too few calories for your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and activity level but it could also mean you are not getting enough nutrients from WHAT you eat. Since your diary isn't open I couldn't take a peek at your diet. If you want me to look and lead you to some information, give me a holler. I'm a retired librarian. Getting folks to the information they need is the sunshine of my life.

Thank you! But actually my diary consist of "quick added calories" so what I eat isn't written there.

But here's what I usually eat.

Breakfast: cereals with skimmed milk or cheese sandwich

Lunch: Chicken breast + 1 or 2 cups of rice + Veggies or salad + juice

Snack: fruit + cake or candy

Dinner: chicken nuggets and bread

Later: maybe yogurt.
  • enchanted777
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor. Also low vitamin d can make you tired and thyroid problems.
    Are you getting enough sleep? Do you get good sleep - do you snore and maybe have sleep apnea?
    Lots of things to consider.
    As far as diet is concerned try to eat slow release carbs rather than sugary foods. And lots of lean protein.

I doubt it's low vit D. I eat a lot of milk & dairy. Actually, I sleep too much. Close to 10 hours!
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    Please eat more protein
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too few calories for your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and activity level but it could also mean you are not getting enough nutrients from WHAT you eat.

Agree. :-)
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    1. see a doctor

2. see a doctor

3..... yes, see a doctor!

You get vit D from the sun, not much from dairy. I am deficient so take a supplement :) You are having a pretty bad processed dinner though, try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1400, I eat what I call super foods. Ex. Oatmeal, eggs, whole grain bakery, yogurt, fruits, veggies, grilled chicken, rice, pasta. I find 1400 such a low number that I have to eat these filling foods to feel energy. There is some more room with the extra exercise calories..
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Thank you! But actually my diary consist of "quick added calories" so what I eat isn't written there.

But here's what I usually eat.

Breakfast: cereals with skimmed milk or cheese sandwich

Lunch: Chicken breast + 1 or 2 cups of rice + Veggies or salad + juice

Snack: fruit + cake or candy

Dinner: chicken nuggets and bread

Later: maybe yogurt.

I mean yeah....on 1400 calories you can do better than this....which is most certainly contributing to how you're feeling. Seems that there is a lot of room for improvement here.....which does not have to mean forever, but give yourself a fighting chance. Quality of calories does play a role in how we feel. Also start weighing, measuring, and logging properly. Hit your macros and I bet you will see a difference. Get more protein.

With that being said, if you had problems in the past, do go see your doctor to rule out any medical issues.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the "Healthy Eating Plate" to help you design a diet that is better for you. Still in all. see your doctor and get a blood workup.

Healthy Eating Plate: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/.
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Definitely go see a doctor. You may be getting enough iron and vitamin D in your foods, but your body might not be absorbing them correctly. It could also be vitamin B. A deficiency in vitamin B causes a person to be tired as well. I work in family practice and that is usually the main culprit of lack of energy. You will never know unless you get the blood tests to find out. Since I started eating right and exercising I have a ton of energy - before I was lacking energy, so that should be the case for most of us... :)

If for some reason you can't get to the doctor to get the blood test, try getting sub-lingual vitamin B12 supplements - your body absorbs them more efficiently. Hope this helps a little. :smile:
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    In your sample day, I don't see any good sources of iron (chicken is not a good source). Given your history, a lack of iron seems as likely as anything but a blood workup seems in order.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If that's your daily food intake you could do way better on your choices. Also have you figured out your BMR? 1400 may not be enough especially if you are eating things like rice, cake, and chicken nuggets.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1400, I eat what I call super foods. Ex. Oatmeal, eggs, whole grain bakery, yogurt, fruits, veggies, grilled chicken, rice, pasta. I find 1400 such a low number that I have to eat these filling foods to feel energy. There is some more room with the extra exercise calories..

This.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    to check for iron on here just go under settings and add iron that will tell you if your eating enough iron.