What about the carbs?!?!

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do the bad carbs stand in the corner or do you just give them a time-out?
    Yes, and the good carbs get to play video games after supper. Not sure what the slow ones get. Maybe a private tutor. :laugh:
    And now we're back to last weekend's thread. Mocking folks.
    Next up a dozen or so donut gifs.
    SSDD on myfitness pal.
    And we'll spend pages pretending we don't understand what the other person is trying to convey.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Yes, and the good carbs get to play video games after supper. Not sure what the slow ones get. Maybe a private tutor. :laugh:
    SSDD on myfitness pal.
    And we'll spend pages pretending we don't understand what the other person is trying to convey.

I'm just trying to understand the differences between good and bad carbs because I don't label my macros that way.
    donuts_zpsdd9dfaf8.gif
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    white rice is a 'bad' carb? I think you may be off the mark there. If anything is a 'bad' carb it's the gluten based stuff IMO.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    SSDD on myfitness pal.

I'm just trying to understand the differences between good and bad carbs because I don't label my macros that way.
    donuts_zpsdd9dfaf8.gif
    Was that a full dozen?
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever carbs I want to eat, when I want.

It's never hindered my weight loss.

In general though, I would opt for carbs obtained from fruits and veg, as opposed to read and pasta. I love both white and brown rice. Doesn't really taste any different when it's covered in Spanish sauce.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I eat whatever carbs I want to eat, when I want.

It's never hindered my weight loss.

In general though, I would opt for carbs obtained from fruits and veg, as opposed to read and pasta. I love both white and brown rice. Doesn't really taste any different when it's covered in Spanish sauce.
    Have you found that one or the other made it easier to KEEP the weight off? This is where I saw a big difference. But again, that's me, so I'll keep doing it.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not work for me. I limit them.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't come in a range. They come in starches, sugars, and fiber.

And dividing them into "good, bad, slow, and fast" is just...well...no.

Incorrect.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    What about happy and sad carbs?

All my carbs are happy because I chose them just for meeee.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    She's selling stuff. Just wait for your "invitation" in an email from her... :noway:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    She's selling stuff. Just wait for your "invitation" in an email from her... :noway:
    She's been here since april. What would she be selling? Kale?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Beachbody stuff.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    You have inspired me to write a childrens story. Thank You.

I do not like carbs,
    Sam-I-am.
    I do not like
    white bread with my ham.

Would you like carbs
    Here or there?

I would not like carbs
    here or there.
    I would not like carbs
    anywhere.
    I do not like
    white bread with my ham.
    I do not like carbs,
    Sam-I-am

Would you like carbs
    in my house?
    Would you like carbs
    with a mouse?

I do not like carbs
    in my house.
    I do not like carbs
    with a mouse.
    I do not like carbs
    here or there.
    I do not like carbs
    anywhere.
    I do not like white bread with my ham.
    I do not like carbs, Sam-I-am.

Would you eat pop tarts
    out of a box?
    Would you eat pop tarts
    with a fox?

Not in a box.
    Not with a fox.
    Not in a house.
    Not with a mouse.
    I would not eat carbs here or there.
    I would not eat carbs anywhere.
    I would not eat potato salad with my ham.

Would you? Could you?
    in a car?
    Eat carbs! Eat carbs!
    Here they are.

I would not ,
    could not,
    in a car

You may like carbs.
    You will see.
    You may like carbs
    in a tree?
    d not in a tree.
    I would not, could not in a tree.
    Not in a car! You let me be.

I do not like carbs in a box.
    I do not like carbs with a fox
    I do not like carbs in my house
    I do ont like carbs with a mouse
    I do not like carbs here or there.
    I do not like carbs anywhere.
    I do not like mashed potatoes with my ham.

A train! A train!
    A train! A train!
    Could you, would you
    on a train?

Not on a train! Not in a tree!
    Not in a car! Sam! Let me be!
    I would not, could not, out of a box.
    I could not, would not, with a fox.
    I will not eat carbs with a mouse
    I will not eat carbs in a house.
    I will not eat carbs here or there.
    I will not eat carbs anywhere.

Say!
    In the dark?
    Here in the dark!
    Would you, could you, in the dark?

I would not, could not,
    in the dark.

Would you, could you,
    in the rain?

I would not, could not, in the rain.
    Not in the dark. Not on a train,
    Not in a car, Not in a tree.
    I do not like carbs, Sam, you see.
    Not in a house. Not in a box.
    Not with a mouse. Not with a fox.
    I will not eat carbs here or there.
    I do not like carbs anywhere!

You do not like
    white bread with my ham?

I do not
    like the carbzzzz,
    Sam-I-am.

Could you, would you,
    with a goat?

I would not,
    could not.
    with a goat!

Would you, could you,
    on a boat?

I could not, would not, on a boat.
    I will not, will not, with a goat.
    I will not eat carbs in the rain.
    I will not eat carbs on a train.
    Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
    Not in a car! You let me be!
    I do not like carbs in a box.
    I do not like carbs with a fox.
    I will not eat carbs in a house.
    I do not like carbs with a mouse.
    I do not like carbs here or there.
    I do not like carbs ANYWHERE!

I do not like
    white bread with my ham!

I do not like carbs,
    Sam-I-am.

You do not like carbs.
    SO you say.
    Try carbs! Try carbs!
    And you may.
    Try carbs and you may I say.

Sam!
    If you will let me be,
    I will try carbs.
    You will see.

Say!
    I like white bread with my ham!
    I do!! I like carbs, Sam-I-am!
    And I would eat carbs in a boat!
    And I would eat carbs with a goat...
    And I will eat carbs in the rain.
    And in the dark. And on a train.
    And in a car. And in a tree.
    They are so good so good you see!

So I will eat carbs in a box.
    And I will eat carbs with a fox.
    And I will eat carbs in a house.
    And I will eat carbs with a mouse.
    And I will eat carbs here and there.
    Say! I will eat carbs ANYWHERE!

I do so like
    white bread with my ham!
    Thank you!
    Thank you,
    Sam-I-am
    Pizza, Pizza in my bell el ie
    If it fits your marcos chow down with glee!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is actually a terrible choice. All the nutrients in brown rice are trapped in the fiber, which your body cannot digest. So your body can't actually use any of the nutrients in brown rice. White rice, on the other hand, is very easily processed by the body, and as the nutrients are transferred out of the fiber and into the rice kernel in the processing of the rice, it's highly bio available and gives you a great nutrient boost.

Sigh ... Where to start?

Brown rice is, for most people, the healthy choice between rices. Brown rice is made white by the REMOVAL of the bran and the germ, which does nothing to transfer the nutrients out of the fiber and into the rice kernal.

Much of the white rice sold in the US is "enriched." Enriched white rice has had some nutrients added to it but still it has LESS of almost all nutrients than brown rice. Information comparing the values for each nutrient in brown and white rice has been made into an easy to peruse chart at http://www.rebeccablood.net/domestic/rice.html. The builder of the chart used USDA data which is the data used for just about all nutritional information on printed packages, in commonly used databases, etc.

Actual data, it's so darn prejudicial.
    Again, that's on paper. Bioavailability of the nutrients is a different thing altogether. There have been studies published that show white is superior to brown rice as to bioavailability of nutrients, as well as the phytonutrients in the brown rice have a tendency to block absorption of other nutrients. I admit brown rice has more nutritional value on paper. However, your body can not make use of them, so it's a waste of calories.

As for th processing of brown rice to white rice, you may want to look up parboiling.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Beachbody stuff.
    I doubt it.
    She is (or was) using it. She posted about it very enthusiastically a while ago.
    Perhaps she will.
    But then, we have lots of folks selling stuff here (some are just more subtle than others).
  • amie709
    Options
    Holy crap!!

I didn't mean to start a war people!! I will honestly admit that I did not add a disclaimer that not everyone thinks about things or does things in the same terms.....I can guarantee you that I won't forget that the next time that I post a thread lol!!!

But I didn't post it to tear down anyone else's idea of thinking either. I posted it because I see people asking about good carbs and bad carbs. And yes, good, bad, slow and fast are exactly how I think of them and I eat them then based on what I need fuel for. For example, I like having fast carbs with my last meal of the day because I don't have a lot to do after dinner and I am going to bed 2-3 hours later so I have fast carbs because they provide me what I need to get through the last few hours without leaving me feeling too full or bloated all night. I like having slow carbs with lunch so that keep me fuller longer.

Of course lots of people do lots of different things but in the end can acheive the same end result-to lose the weight and keep it off. And what works for one won't work for everyone-just like some of the things that some of you are doing wouldn't work for me. But, it's unrealistic to write a thread covering all the different ways that people look at things to cover everyone's opinion. This was simply supossed to be an answer to questions that I had seen on here asking about carbs. For course it's not the only answer!! Nothing in weight loss has only one answer!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Holy crap!!

I didn't mean to start a war people!! I will honestly admit that I did not add a disclaimer that not everyone thinks about things or does things in the same terms.....I can guarantee you that I won't forget that the next time that I post a thread lol!!!

But I didn't post it to tear down anyone else's idea of thinking either. I posted it because I see people asking about good carbs and bad carbs. And yes, good, bad, slow and fast are exactly how I think of them and I eat them then based on what I need fuel for. For example, I like having fast carbs with my last meal of the day because I don't have a lot to do after dinner and I am going to bed 2-3 hours later so I have fast carbs because they provide me what I need to get through the last few hours without leaving me feeling too full or bloated all night. I like having slow carbs with lunch so that keep me fuller longer.

Of course lots of people do lots of different things but in the end can acheive the same end result-to lose the weight and keep it off. And what works for one won't work for everyone-just like some of the things that some of you are doing wouldn't work for me. But, it's unrealistic to write a thread covering all the different ways that people look at things to cover everyone's opinion. This was simply supossed to be an answer to questions that I had seen on here asking about carbs. For course it's not the only answer!! Nothing in weight loss has only one answer!!!
    Don't sweat it. These days every thread devolves into this.
    A few months ago it was cardio versus "lifting heavy".
    Binary arguments are the only ones that seem to get much traction around here.
    No one lives in a binary world, no one's diet is binary. But we sure like arguing as though there are only two choices right (my way) and wrong (your way).
    And we spend a lot of time pretending we don't understand what the other person is trying to convey.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Okay I will say that the standard american diet is all kinds of jacked up and we are constantly taught that carbs are "bad". My diet consists of about 60% carbs and you need them to be able to function. With that being said there is a difference between simple carbs and complex carbs. Complex carbs are things like fruit, oats, quinoa, brown rice, and veggies. These are complex carbs and take longer to digest. What you need to avoid are simple carbs. Simple carbs are things like white bread, white rice, and most processed foods. Another misconception is that having too much fruit is a bad thing. I probably have about 4-5 servings of fruit a day myself and I am probably in the best shape of my life physically and mentally. People who have diabetes do, however, need to watch their sugar intake.

In reality we really overcomplicate things more than we need to. You do have to watch how many calories you are eating because it is still calories and calories out, however the key is eating food that is high in nutrients and staying away from processed food. If you eat food in it's purest form you should be just fine :)
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    I have a much simpler and effective guideline.

Good carbs: the ones that are tasty
    Bad carbs: the ones that are not

^^^ that's my way of thinking also lol.