Top or Bottom?

Options
Hey everyone,

I was curious to see what everyone does when they hit their goal weight? Maintain, keep losing or go back up?

According to mpf my healthy weight is 148 to 200 pounds. I'm 6` 3" BTW. I think at 148 (bottom) I would be a pencil, so I set my goal weight to 200 (top)

I'm 13 pounds away from that. Should I go past 200? Once you reach your goal wight, do you adject your ticker and continue on or leave ur ticker as it?

Thanks.

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I went up a little, I met my goal march of 2012 and have gained back 5 since , pretty much maintaining but it ranges in between about 5 pounds , but when i know I'm getting higher, i step up the exercise and diet of course .....this week i have noticed a weight increase, so diet revamp and more cardio for me :) definitely maintaining!!! I think once you reach 200 see how you feel, 148 would be way too low !!
  • jchadden42
    Options
    I'm more or less at the "maintaining" level, but I'm high for a normal BMI. I am 5'5" and weigh roughly 140 lbs. On the other hand, I wear a size 4 pants. I'd like to stay somewhere in the middle, but I think we need to consider muscle mass into the equation too. I'd see how I look/feel at 200 and go from there. I might, however, try to go 10-15 pounds below just to have some leeway.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Oh :laugh:
  • dmanson2
    Options
    Anyone else care to share? Those that hit their initial goal. Or those that haven't yet but will soon?
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just gonna say what everyone else is thinking - totally misjudged what this thread was going to be about based on the title. :laugh:

I'm at the very tippy top of my healthy range with a BMI of 25, I currently weigh 145. I used to be considered nearly obese according to BMI calculators when I was almost 180 lbs (I'm 5'3.5). My healthy range is 118 - 145, so I set my goal to a middle point of 125 to have a nice buffer if my weight does fluctuate, which I'm ok with. So I guess I'm not a top or a bottom lol, I'm more of a middle type of gal...
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Power bottom?
  • dmanson2
    Options
    I like that. So i think i'll change my goal also. I'm 6'3" & according to MFP my healthy range is 148 lbs - 200 lbs. So i set my goal to 200. So @ 200 i may change it to the 175-180 range.
    My healthy range is 118 - 145, so I set my goal to a middle point of 125 to have a nice buffer if my weight does fluctuate, which I'm ok with. So I guess I'm not a top or a bottom lol, I'm more of a middle type of gal...
  • dmanson2
    Options
    PS. I'm going to be sad to see my lil' orange star go back to the left tho'. :(
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Oh....I get it now! Nevermind. LOL
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I hit my initial goal weight of 136. Upped my calories to what I thought was maintenance, and lost another 10 lbs.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Honestly i believe you should just stop when you like what you see in the mirror, numbers can't tell you that.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My healthy weight range is between 93-123.8 lbs. I am currently at 126.6 lbs as of my last weigh in. I am 4'11". I set my ultimate goal weight at 110-115 lbs because that is where I last felt the most comfortable. My doctor agrees with me that is a good range for me at my height and body frame. I set my ticker at 115 lbs, once I reach that weight I will see how I feel and if I think I need to lose the additional 5 lbs. I probably will just to have the wiggle room while I am maintaining.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You should not top from the bottom
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My initial goal weight was 175. I reached that weight, but I looked way to thin and honestly looked sick! Several people told me I looked like a chemo patient, and after looking at some pics, I agreed with them. So now I stay between 185-195. I put more muscle back on that fat, so what I gained wasn't bad. Honestly, I lost a lot of muscle when I lost so much weight, so that may have been what made 175 look so wrong on me. But in my opinion, it's all based on the person. Some weights look and feel better to certain people. Base it off how you feel about yourself when you reach that goal. If you think you could loose a few more pounds, go for it. But also make sure to evaluate yourself to see if you have lost to much. After loosing a lot of weight, a person becomes fixed on not finding those lost pounds again. I still struggle with this part.
    Best of luck and WTG on your success this far!!
  • dmanson2
    Options
    Thanks for the story & will def think about that. I really need to start a weight lifting/streght training program but wanted to get this fat off first.
    My initial goal weight was 175. I reached that weight, but I looked way to thin and honestly looked sick! Several people told me I looked like a chemo patient, and after looking at some pics, I agreed with them. So now I stay between 185-195. I put more muscle back on that fat, so what I gained wasn't bad. Honestly, I lost a lot of muscle when I lost so much weight, so that may have been what made 175 look so wrong on me. But in my opinion, it's all based on the person. Some weights look and feel better to certain people. Base it off how you feel about yourself when you reach that goal. If you think you could loose a few more pounds, go for it. But also make sure to evaluate yourself to see if you have lost to much. After loosing a lot of weight, a person becomes fixed on not finding those lost pounds again. I still struggle with this part.
    Best of luck and WTG on your success this far!!
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My son is 6'3 a total athlete like 8% bf and he is 210....so I think its how you see yourself and what you feel comfortable with.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have about 12 pounds to my goal, which is where I felt most comfortable in my clothes I have not worn in a bit.

About ten years ago, I'd lost about 60 lbs, but within the last three years lost sight of healthy eating habits and gained some back. Now, I've lost 21 lbs of that weight.

If I paid attention to the weight charts, I should weigh between approximately 120-145 pounds with my large frame. Yeah, I'm thin enough at 150 lbs, which is where I will be when I reach my goal.

Do not pay attention to those numbers in weight charts or to the numbers on the scales. Everybody is built differently.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Honestly i believe you should just stop when you like what you see in the mirror, numbers can't tell you that.

I agree with this. When I got to what I thought my goal was supposed to be, I still wanted to lose more because the mirror didn't show what I wanted it to show yet :-)