So many physical limitations

Options
All my life I was active until I was 38 when during a run I stepped on a tree route and tore all of the ligaments in my left ankle. That led to two ankle reconstructions and I have also had one bunion surgery with another ankle reconstruction and bunion surgery scheduled. Every time I even try to just walk or do anything actively I hurt something or aggravate old injuries. I am now 61 and any one who meets me for the first time thinks that I am still in my late 40's but I feel like I am in my 90's physically. Is there any exercise programs for orthopedic surgery patients that are getting older out there?? Still need to lose 40lbs.

Replies

• spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I too have physical limitations, don't let that stop you.
    Water is the best thing! Water jogging, swimming, even a water class. All move your body and all are good for maintaining/regaining health!
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you're not getting physical therapy, have your doctor write a prescription for it. (So your insurance pays for it.) Then, ask your orthopedic surgeon to refer you to a reputable Physical Therapy Company. A licensed, quality physical therapist can show you which exercises will help you and which to avoid. As for the 40 pounds, they're lost in the kitchen. Good luck.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    and if all else fails google chair exercises.
  • LovelyTasha
    Options
    I found this article, maybe it will be helpful to you!! I think it's so awesome that you're not just settling for "okay, looks like I can't workout anymore!" Which sadly seems to be a slump a lot of people fall into after serious injuries!! You're an inspiration to me!!

http://www.divinecaroline.com/self/wellness/cardio-cure-all-exercise-options-bad-knees-and-ankles
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    whoa, i'm just south of the age you were at when you were injured. i've got a bunch of things going on now. diet is the main thing for weight loss -- don't worry about the exercise doing so much of it.

of course it's important to stay active to retain function & mobility.

my plan: PT, pilates, swimming or biking when I can again.