Metformin, PCOS and Weightloss? HELP?!

Options
I Have PCOS :/ I was diagnosed at age 16, and I lost 36lbs at age 17 and gained them all back :( and Now I started excercising agian, My Doc put me on Metformin 1000mg 2x a day, I usually only take both if I have 2 Heavy meals, I really hate taking pills, So I'm wondering if I can just lose weight without taking the pills. It's been extremly hard this time. Last time I lost those pounds My cycles became regular by themselves. Will Metformin along with Excercise itself help regulate them faster?

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    so u have type 2 diabetes basically & u got it real early. I have had Type 1 for close to 30 years now. Any diabetic usually generally has trouble losing weight. I am lucky to lose a pound per month.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Have you both tried the Glycemic Index Diet? I bought "The Glycemic Index Cookbook for Dummies" a couple of years ago and it really is eye-opening. I credit that with starting my fitness. I initially lost about 10 pounds on it and have jumpstarted that with a personal trainer.

I was classified as prediabetic, so I figured if I could lose weight and drop my blood sugar, why not? Metformin is awful, so the sooner you can get off that, the better. This may drop your blood sugar down to normal(ish) ranges.
  • lazokim94
    Options
    It's similar to diabetes, I'm like Insulin resistant or something like that, I have cysts in my ovaries and my periods are irregular, Basicaly I'm on the edge of developing diabetes, but it's really hard for me to lose weight even with excersising and dieting, the only medications, I have taken Is BC, Provera, and Metformin which I HATE :(
  • candylilacs
    Options
    The Glycemic Index Diet is a way of keeping your blood sugar from spiking, and mediates insulin resistance. I highly recommend it if you have PCOS or any kind of insulin resistance problem. It's not radical rocket science -- mainly it's little or no processed foods, staying away from flour, white bread, flour tortillas, white rice, white pasta, and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. You also have to eat 3-4 oz. of protein with each meal.

It also encourages eating spicy foods, dark chocolate (even milk), sourdough bread, and lots of fiber. Highly advise getting the book.
  • jessicas082409
    jessicas082409 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really compare PCOS to diabetes, it's a lot more complicated than that(We're talking major infertility issues, facial/body hair, periods that would make Satan pray to God for mercy, hormonal imbalances, etc...)...... LazoKim, I would talk to your doctor before going off the metformin and let them know you want to consider alternate care before jumping ship.

My experience in the past, I could drop a ton of weight within a month with out exercising and then gain it ALL back with in a week, and it gets harder on your body the older you get..I'm on Metformin, exercising daily and finally keeping the weight down(instead of yo yo'ing). Diabetic diet is an awesome idea and so is the GID(glycemic index...). It takes a lot of work and will power but it's worth it.....Good luck!
  • MyexwasaBADCARB
    Options
    Hello Guys,

Pco is extremely hard to deal with. i don't know about you guys but i am having a hard time using my upper body. Im almost done 30 lbs and all tthe compliments are going to my legs. Most ppl with pco have apple shaped bodies as a result all of the fat in restored in the belly area. I've been trying to lose my belly for awhile n i feel like im making to progress. I limit my carb in take and replace it with veggies which does have good carbs. No sodas, or juices. just water and tea. i work out hard at the gym as well. Is there any tips one can suggest?
  • candylilacs
    Options
    Unfortunately the belly/gut is the last to go for many people! And even when we lose inches, we're still not happy because it's never enough.

I lost three inches off of my thighs, hips and waist. I noticed my thighs and hips right off (my pants were loose) but I could tell no difference in my waist because I still looked proportionally the same. Unless you have an hour-glass figure genetically, you will never have that tiny waist accentuated by a big booty. That's the truth. I can't have it because it does not run in my family. We're big farm girls with strong backs and shoulders, slimmer hips and unfortunately a gut when we gain weight.

Only after I lost 32 pounds did I notice that my belly did seem smaller. It probably has been for a while, but this week is when I finally noticed because I just didn't have as much flub as I used to. It takes a while, but it happens and you will be happy -- but the waist is one of the last places we lose. I actually lost a ring size before I lost a pants size!

Try to develop muscle as well as doing cardio because it helps get rid of the fat. Also, try to focus a little more on protein and veggies and fruits. It does help! (Occasionally small amounts of dark or milk chocolate!)
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and have been trying to lose weight for a good number of years. The pounds are very slowly staring to shift now I have incorporated an exercise program 6 out of 7 days a week. Including weights. As well as the exercise I am eating 80% clean and rarely eat refined sugars and flour anymore as I noticed that it stalls my weight loss for at least two weeks.

The biggest piece of advice would be consistency. It is something I struggle with but it is the thing that will help us most through out this journey.

OP: You definitely can do it with metformin, but speak to your doctor first. Quite drastic dietary and lifestyle changes have to be made and stuck too. You have to experiment with your calorie intake too, to see which number works best for you.

I am having better success with the limiting processed food, starchy and high carb foods and increasing vegetables, pulses etc. As others have stated the GI diet is quite a good starting point.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The metformin is supposed to help with appetite supression as well.

I would discuss with your doctor though before you quit taking the piss. Yes they are a pain in the *kitten* to remember to take everyday, but you really should talk to the doc first.
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I hated Metformin and all the other meds, hate hate hate hated them. It didn't help that I didn't like my doctor either. I quit the meds and started using LGI eating as well as exercising and it fixed a lot of my problems. I was losing weight very slowly but I FELT BETTER w/o all the meds and sugar crashes & spikes and I was a LOT less tired all the time.

At some point, I quit eating right and have gained all the weight plus some back. Well, that's why I'm here and everywhere and working really hard to lose the weight the right way, eat the way that is good for me, and finish this fight once as for all.

I went off BC for a few years and that caused all kinds of pain and hurty so I'm back on it now to relieve that as well as help with Peri-M. I'm thrilled it's not Yasmin!!! What a horrible drug that was to me.
  • hackmank
    Options
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed with PSOC three years ago. Recently my doctor suggested stop drinking soda and go on a low/no carb diet which has been difficult to stick to. It is very hard to lose weight and whenever I do lose weight it comes right back again within a month. My mom and mother-in-law who are nurses suggested a diabetic diet which I am starting now. *fingers crossed* I sign up for emails from American diabetes association. They offer great tips on what to eat and offer recipes. My dad is diabetic so sometimes i watch what he eats to get ideas. Keep up the exercises and maybe try looking into a diabetic diet :smile: