homemade soup!

Options
rayonrainbows
rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
i'm addicted. it takes forever to eat and always makes you feel full, and warm and cozy inside, without the insane calories and sodium from canned soup!

i'm vegetarian, so i usually just add various beans, a bit of potato, squash, carrot, pepper, onion, etc, and a TON of SPICES! garlic, curry powder, basil, pepper, whatever i have!

if anyone has any awesome soup recipes (preferably vegetarian, but i do have soy-meat-substitutes!) feel free to share them here!

:)

Replies

• SirBuggsALotLovesALot
    Options
    I make a white bean chard soup that you might be able to modify to make vegetarian but thought it might give you something to work with.

1 c. Cooked white beans (crockpot)
    1 bunch of swiss chard
    1/2 medium white onion
    2 large carrots (sliced thin)
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    4 cups chicken bouillion (low sodium)

Saute onion and carrots in olive oil on low heat.
    Add swiss chard and stir fry for about 1 minute.
    Add bouillion , simmer and cover til chard is tender. Drain beans and
    Add to chard. Hope it give you something to work with.
  • susan_barrie
    Options
    I love this recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/butternut_squash_soup_90300 it's so warm and filling, and doesn't take too long. I also have a great tomato and lentil soup which I do in the slow cooker:

2 tbsp sunflower oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    2 celery sticks, chopped
    2 carrots chopped
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    175g red or yellow lentils
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    2 pints veg stock
    400g can tomatoes
    1 bay leaf
    salt and pepper

Heat oil in saucepan. Add onion and garlic to a low heat, stirring occasionally for 5 mins until soft. Add celery and carrots for a further 4 minutes. Stir in cumin and corinander for 1 minute then add the lentils.
    Mix tomato puree with a little of the stock in a small bowl and add to the pan with the remaining stock, tomatoes and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and then transfer to the slow cooker. Stir well, cover and cook for 3.5-4 hours on low. (Remember to take out the bay leaf before blending and serving!)