Pico De Gallo

Options
Good morning,
Need a little help.
Does anyone know what the nutritional value of pico de gallo is?
I make it fresh with white onion, cilantro, tomato, and jalapeno, no added salt or spices.
Having a hard time finding this online.

Replies

• mario284
    Options
    Not sure what a Pico de Gallo is, but can you try to break it down by indredients and then create a new food in the database? Just a thought.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal has a tool in the Food tab for entering your recipes that will give you the nutritional and caloric values. Its very nifty!

good luck and good eating!
    JoJo
  • EmmmyK
    EmmmyK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If your not adding salt, then I think it would be healthy. If it works for you keep doing it. I always add salsa to my eggs or chicken and It's fine for me. I would figure maybe like 20 to 30 calories and 0 fat because of all the veggies. :)
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I would have to say the calorie, carb and fat content would be extremely low in pico de gallo. This may be annoying to do but if you made lets say a whole cup and used a whole tomato, half an onion, cilantro, one whole pepper, etc., and then just look up online the cal content for each item used. So lets say total all your ingredients equals out to like 50 calories to make that whole cup. If you consumed a 1/4 cup that would be 12.5 calories. And then make sure you add your pico de gallo to your recipies list so you can remember it for future reference.
    Yum I love pico de gallo on a salad with some tabasco, shredded cheddar cheese and carne asada.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you make it fresh, just count each item you use in the database, make a meal out of it, decide how much it makes (say, 1 cup), then divide it into servings and when you eat a serving, log say, "0.25" of the meal if you eat 1/4 cup or whatever.
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Pico de gallo is great as a salad dressing. As others have said, use the recipes function here to create your own recipe for future uses. Easy to do.

I am craving pico now!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    fxd2, try putting some pico de gallo on shell pasta, of all things..........its awesome, just put some lime juice in the pasta when you first take it out of the pot, then put your pico de gallo on it, and refrigerate it till its cold

awesome way of using it........Im from Texas, and normally people dont do it like this, but I had it at a Houston fancy resturant, and it was the best................mmmmmmmmm, makes me hungry too, Lloyd
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    fxd2, try putting some pico de gallo on shell pasta, of all things..........its awesome, just put some lime juice in the pasta when you first take it out of the pot, then put your pico de gallo on it, and refrigerate it till its cold

awesome way of using it........Im from Texas, and normally people dont do it like this, but I had it at a Houston fancy resturant, and it was the best................mmmmmmmmm, makes me hungry too, Lloyd

I put pico de gallo (or rotel if that is all I have time for) into almost everything! Love my spice. :devil:
  • naguilar210
    Options

YUM!! I will be doing this for lunch tomorrow! Wonderful idea.
    Im in texas too! MMM Spicy.