Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread yesterday but it's just as pertinent here...

.......I would look into what I know about my family history BEFORE I asked if getting too much carbs from fruit & veggies would be a problem.

I wasn't over on my sugar from fruits & veggies when I was diagnosed with T2D 4 months ago. The doctors rolled their eyes at me when I explained that I only consumed 24 g of sugar per day for the 3 months prior & had the MFP diary to prove it huh

When I told them that 5 of my 6 aunties & uncles, both maternal & paternal pairs of grandparents had T2D, they were not the LEAST bit surprised that 17 yrs ago, when I was pregnant with my son, I had been tested for gestational diabetes but because the criteria was lower back then, was told it was nothing to worry about.

Each one of those individual reasons listed above is enough to increase one's risk & put them firmly in the group to watch out for markers as they reach into as early as their 30's, however, with my history, it was absolutely unavoidable.

My kids are 24 and 17 yrs old. Both have been speached about how to watch out for the possible breakdown so that at least THEY won't be blind sided as I was grumble

Shame was what kept all of my aunties & uncles from admitting and talking to each other about their diabetes. Only upon finding out about my diagnosis & questioning everyone, did they start talking about it. embarassed

Your risk should be assessed through family history as whether or not this may be a problem for you is largely genetic.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you are here to lose weight.

You can lose weight eating Twinkies and other snack cakes:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

So sugar is not inherently bad for most people.

The key to weight loss is maintaining a calorie deficit.

For good health, you will want to eat a balanced diet that provides all the nutrition your body needs, including things like protein so that you minimize muscle loss.

I personally don't focus on the macros but on the calorie goal.

Down 27 pounds since 4/19/13. And down 3% body fat since 6/1/13.
  • martineyes26
    martineyes26 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Adding my two cents for what it's worth. Every BODY is different. For me personally, cutting my sugar way down helped me lose weight significantly. That being said, I also had/have a sweet tooth. I still go over my sugar macro everyday, but I try to keep it in check as much as possible. Try lowering your sugar intake for 3-4 weeks and see if it makes a difference in your weight loss. If not, then continue eating fruits and sugary foods (within moderation) and look more closely to the other macros.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'd be willing to be that most of the time when people cut their "sugar" intake they are cutting sugar from calorie-dense foods and as such maintaining a better calorie deficit.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit I would ignore if you are getting your 3 or 5 daily servings. I would look at the other foods.
    Sometimes it can't be helped if it is found in your milk , whole wheat bread /pasta tomato sauce etc.

I would avoid all other forms of sugar.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit I would ignore if you are getting your 3 or 5 daily servings. I would look at the other foods.
    Sometimes it can't be helped if it is found in your milk , whole wheat bread /pasta tomato sauce etc.

So don't eat veggies?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

So the sugar added to your yogurt, salad dressing, ravioli, broccoli slaw, etc are not OK? What about the sugar from your honey and red peppers? Those aren't OK either?

And what about the sugar in your homemade oatmeal raisin cookies?

Geez.
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    Okay let me be more specific , the red bell pepper, in fact in all fresh veggies and fruit I eat for me they all okay. I ignore sugar from these sources provided I am eating my serving size not the entire bag of apples. These sources have fiber in them,

The sugar found in my yogurt and salad dressings, my bread/pasta I can modify. I am taking a look at home made salad dressings where I sub the honey for the sugar.

Now we can argue honey has already been processed by the bees and it is a sugar and if I eat in great abundance my program will be doomed. But I look at it this way, it is enhancing my nutrient rich oatmeal breakfast, It is 2 small tablespoons of salad dressing on my healthy salad. So yes they should be gone , it would be better , however this is where I practice moderation.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Okay let me be more specific , the red bell pepper, in fact in all fresh veggies and fruit I eat for me they all okay. I ignore sugar from these sources provided I am eating my serving size not the entire bag of apples. These sources have fiber in them,

The sugar found in my yogurt and salad dressings, my bread/pasta I can modify. I am taking a look at home made salad dressings where I sub the honey for the sugar.

Now we can argue honey has already been processed by the bees and it is a sugar and if I eat in great abundance my program will be doomed. But I look at it this way, it is enhancing my nutrient rich oatmeal breakfast, It is 2 small tablespoons of salad dressing on my healthy salad. So yes they should be gone , it would be better , however this is where I practice moderation.

Adding honey to your oatmeal so adding sugar to a bowl of sugar?
  • oferb1
    Options

So true... carbs - unless they are fiber, are metabolized to sugar... bread, pasta, cookies, pastries, were the death of me... 5 weeks ago, in my annual checkup, I came as borderline diabetic with triglycerides through the roof... 5 weeks diet, one of them juice cleanse and 4 weeks of low-carb, high-fat diet, and my metrics are shockingly better (not to mention the 18 lbs I lost)...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

So true... carbs - unless they are fiber, are metabolized to sugar... bread, pasta, cookies, pastries, were the death of me... 5 weeks ago, in my annual checkup, I came as borderline diabetic with triglycerides through the roof... 5 weeks diet, one of them juice cleanse and 4 weeks of low-carb, high-fat diet, and my metrics are shockingly better (not to mention the 18 lbs I lost)...

Of course it's the sugar not the weight loss and calorie control.
  • StephanieMM2013
    Options
    Man... I don't even know what to believe anymore. People say completely different things, and all of them are 100% sure that their way is the right way. Experiment, be patient, listen and watch your bodies signals. And do what you know you can sustain. I, for one, WILL NOT eat 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass, because I feel like total crap eating that much meat. That just me though :)

Welcome to MFP and good luck!
  • StephanieMM2013
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason you really don't need to worry about sugar. Any kind, it's not evil and quite delicious.

+1

+2
    you need to remember that people here arent real doctors...

sugar goes straight to my hips. i lose more when i keep my sugar low. lost the most when i cut it all together. sugar is not the same carbs as potatoes or rice.
    And where did you get your doctorate from? Or is that knowledge you got from Dr. Oz?

Since she's speaking from personal experience and not claiming to be all knowing or that everyone is the same way,
    I really think you should back off.
  • Minnie2361
    Options

That is why it is important to consult a professional . Each diet brings it pluses and minuses.
    For example some people consider grains and wheats not so good.. For me it is not a problem I eat whole wheats and I also eat oatmeal which is by far the better choice.

The human being for the last 3 million years spent his /her time foraging for food.
    A fun video to watch is BBC the truth about food part one. They put a number of people in a zoo for a number of days and they were delivered daily food in Tupperware with lots of vegetables /fruits it was the gorillas diet. All of them had improvement from the diet in terms of cholesterol as well as other improvements in their health,,
    The point here is in terms of human evolution the diet people ate came from foraging. The ability to hunt thus adding more protein to the diet came about 3 million years later.

As of 14000 years ago humans were hunter/gathers. Setting up communities and harvesting grain and raising lifestock thereby creating food surpluses , this has only taken place in the last 7000 years and cane sugar was introduced to Europe 500 years ago. So have our bodies evolved that quickly in the last five hundred years to process this type of sugar as well as the latest cash cow manufactured in the last 40 years the high fructose sugar. I don't think so.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

That is why it is important to consult a professional . Each diet brings it pluses and minuses.
    For example some people consider grains and wheats not so good.. For me it is not a problem I eat whole wheats and I also eat oatmeal which is by far the better choice.

The human being for the last 3 million years spent his /her time foraging for food.
    A fun video to watch is BBC the truth about food part one. They put a number of people in a zoo for a number of days and they were delivered daily food in Tupperware with lots of vegetables /fruits it was the gorillas diet. All of them had improvement from the diet in terms of cholesterol as well as other improvements in their health,,
    The point here is in terms of human evolution the diet people ate came from foraging. The ability to hunt thus adding more protein to the diet came about 3 million years later.

As of 14000 years ago humans were hunter/gathers. Setting up communities and harvesting grain and raising lifestock thereby creating food surpluses , this has only taken place in the last 7000 years and cane sugar was introduced to Europe 500 years ago. So have our bodies evolved that quickly in the last five hundred years to process this type of sugar as well as the latest cash cow manufactured in the last 40 years the high fructose sugar. I don't think so.

You can't really compare us to the paleolithic era. Because in all fairness, we live 3-4 times longer. That alone would suggest we are doing something better.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Man... I don't even know what to believe anymore. People say completely different things, and all of them are 100% sure that their way is the right way. Experiment, be patient, listen and watch your bodies signals. And do what you know you can sustain. I, for one, WILL NOT eat 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass, because I feel like total crap eating that much meat. That just me though :)

Welcome to MFP and good luck!

How about believing Harvard? The issue is, it has been proven thousands of times that weight loss is calories in vs out. The only people that have issue with this are the people selling products or lifestyles. Now, for some, there are variable. Those with insulin resistance need a low carb diet. Those with POTS or IBS should be on a gluten free diet (my wife being one of them having POTS). Heck, some people have trigger foods that will cause binging which requires them to eliminate those foods. But in the end, they still don't defy calories in vs out. Essentially, sugar is a calorie. If your calories are in check, the weight loss will occur because to lose a lb of fat, it takes a person to eat 3500 calories less than they expend. And all reality, it doesn't matter which macronutrient it comes from.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight/
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yes i am speaking from personal experience. that is why i said me and i. :)

i have fructose intolerance and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth caused by the fructose intolerance. i had to take a test in a doctors office. my children also have it. i had to learn exactly how much fructose, sucrose, glucose, fructan, and fructooligosaccharides were in everything we ate so that i could make sure they were only getting so much every 4 hours. both my parents have had diabetes, i have had gestational diabetes and i have had issues with hypoglycemia. i am convinced that not all carbs are the same. for me. lots of people out there are like me. by sharing my personal experience i open up the possibility that they might be like me too. then they can make their own decision.
  • oferb1
    Options

You can't really compare us to the paleolithic era. Because in all fairness, we live 3-4 times longer. That alone would suggest we are doing something better.

That is actually a common mistake... their AVERAGE age was 3-4 times lower, but you forget that their infant mortality was through the roof, so for each child that dies at birth/first year, you need to have a person that lived to 60 to average him out to 30, etc. (this is basic statistics) - in case you are interested here is a study that tackles this question exactly http://www.anth.ucsb.edu/faculty/gurven/papers/GurvenKaplan2007pdr.pdf - to save you time look at figure 4...

Also there are findings of over 1.5M year old tools that were used to carve meat, so to say that man only started to hunt 14000 years doesn't really hold water - if you look at any archaeological site with human remains, you will find that they are littered with hundreds on hundreds of animal skeletons, as well as tools to cut large animals up, and crack the their skulls, etc.