TDEE-%20 questions for 5ft 5in women

Options
13»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    Just keep in mind (based on your ticker) that you don't have much to lose, so the loss will still be pretty slow, but it should still happen. Been there myself.

I figured it'd be slow, but as long as I see some movement downward I'll be happy.. it's alot better than staying the same! Did you lose the last 10 using the 20% TDEE method?

Not to mention that you will be happier if you just Eat The Food, avoid hangriness. :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I started off losing about 2 pounds a week on 1700-1800 calories. Once I got below 200 pounds (a major milestone for me), I increased my calories to eat closer to my goal weight maintenance. By doing so, I hope to have an easier time maintaining my metabolic function, lean body mass, skin/hair, etc. I just Eat The Food and log the losses as they come.
  • Sparkie134
    Sparkie134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I apologize, I read through all the posts and I see that you eat the same amount of calories even when you don't work out. I'm going to try toe 20%TDEE method and hopefully it works because this year long plateau is soooo frustrating! Thanks for the thread, it was really helpful information..

Good luck Amanda!

I am finding that by eating around 1800-2000 calories, I am pretty ecstatic ha ha, and it makes me have the energy to WANT to work out more. Plus, a better mood always helps too :-)
  • amanda07425
    amanda07425 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I apologize, I read through all the posts and I see that you eat the same amount of calories even when you don't work out. I'm going to try toe 20%TDEE method and hopefully it works because this year long plateau is soooo frustrating! Thanks for the thread, it was really helpful information..

Good luck Amanda!

I am finding that by eating around 1800-2000 calories, I am pretty ecstatic ha ha, and it makes me have the energy to WANT to work out more. Plus, a better mood always helps too :-)

Thanks good luck to you as well! :)
  • Sparkie134
    Sparkie134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just a quick update. I have been eating close to 2000 calories a day and I plan to drop it back to 1800 next week. But today I was sitting here. FEELING GOOD. FEELING ENERGETIC. HAPPY. It has been a long time since those things were a normal part of my day. I am excited to get a gym membership next week, and I will get my body fat percentage checked, and my specific metabolism levels checked, as well as my measurements. I am feeling like the TDEE-%20 could be the best eating plan I have done in YEARS. I will monthly post my weight updates.
  • amandaleigh_
    Options
    5ft 5 ladies! Just ramped my cals back up yesterday. I dropped 20 pounds in a little over 6 months doing TDEE-20%. Since early June I've been in a rut again. I attempted to cut to 1550 for a month to no avail so I did my calculations again (which I guess was a smart thing to do!) and I'm looking at 1740 now. Hoping to get over this new plateau just like I got over my last one with this method. I've got only about 10 more lbs to go so it's a slow slow slooow game!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Really interesting thread. Thanks for having posted this! Here's some more food for thought ;-)

I'm 5'5", SW=231; CW=177; GW 141 (I think - it's a moving target). I've done low carb since Sept 2012 - target macros are 70% fat, 5% carbs, 25% protein. I do crossfit 3-5 x per week.

I use TDEE-20%, but I enter data for sedentary; and then I eat back calories on days that I exercise. Currently, this means I target 1500 calories a day, and on days I exercise, I get an additional 300-400 calories to eat.

I just used this TDEE calculator: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ (note - I used to use the Fit to Fat Calculator, but it bugs me that it does the calcs based on GOAL, instead of current weight --- I like this one better).

Comparing the two approaches.
    Using pure TDEE-20% method, and exercising 4 per week, I'd target 1662 -1751 calories (depending on the method used). I'd probably go middle of the road, and use 1700 calories. So, per week, I'd be targeting 11900 calories.

Using the other approach, where I use "sedentary" for my TDEE and eat back calories, I should be targeting 1435 calories per day. Unfortunately, that's below my BMR. So keeping my BMR as my base, I'd use 1500 calories per day. I typically exercise 4 x per week, and about 350 calories per session. This means, I'd basically be targeting 1400 more calories per week, for a total of 11900 calories per week.

So for me, they both come out to be the EXACT same calories per week. It's therefore more of a preference thing. Do I want to spread the extra calories over all days? Or eat more on days that I exercise, and eat less on days that I don't? I think I like using the sedentary approach, so that if my exercise varies, my eating adjusts accordingly.
  • gevaisa
    gevaisa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bless this post, seriously. i've been feeling lightheaded and grumpy lately with the mindset i'm overeating, while all along my tdee -20% is 1722! i've been eating 1400 and been pretty miserable about it.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    *Bumping to use for future reference :-) Thank you!