Burning all the calories I eat

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    3lbs a week for a 157lb person? Safe weight loss would be 1% of your total body weight

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So does that mean, at 320 pounds, that my safe weight loss is actually 3 pounds a week, not 1.5? If that's true I might adjust my goals.
    Yep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

The only thing I would add is that if you are a fit 320 lbs, near the normal weight range for your height then that may be too aggressive. If you have a lot of body fat then I agree with the 1% rule, but not for those that have a lower BF% or are in the "normal" BF% range.

I don't think it would be healthy for me to lose 1% of my BW/week, as a good portion of that would be lean muscle.
  • roycelynberry
    roycelynberry Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    SO I AM ONLY 4'11 I AM A 190LBS NOW I WANT TO GET 125 130 WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST MFP HAS ME AT 1200 CALORIES I EXERCISE ANYWHERE FROM 5 TO 6 DAYS BURNING 500-700 CALORIES SOMETIMES MORE HOW MANY CALORIES DO YOU SUGGEST I EAT
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Good god....where do these people come up with these ideas!!!! Yes that is unhealthy. So you can make the decision whether you want to be healthy and fit.....or get skinny, lose weight and develop all kinds of health problems.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hey hunn

I'm 5'8" as well and started at about 150. My goal is also 127 (well, 128 but yeah). I just wanted to let you know that with diet and exercise the right way (as in eating at least 1200 cals plus whatever you burn off working out), you will lose weight. It will be easier at first and then get harder. I've been between 137 and 131 for the past 8 weeks, slowly losing about 1lb a week. The last few lbs will take a lot of work because 127 is low for our height, as under 121 is considered underweight.

Honestly, even going from 157 to 140, you will notice a HUGE difference. Why don't you aim to get to 140-145 by 9-10 weeks from now and try to do it the healthy way? Then you can keep working at it and lose the rest during the 9-10 weeks after that!

Feel free to add me if you want advice / support daily from someone who is the same height and who has similar Start weight and goal weights :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    SO I AM ONLY 4'11 I AM A 190LBS NOW I WANT TO GET 125 130 WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST MFP HAS ME AT 1200 CALORIES I EXERCISE ANYWHERE FROM 5 TO 6 DAYS BURNING 500-700 CALORIES SOMETIMES MORE HOW MANY CALORIES DO YOU SUGGEST I EAT

A minimum of 1200 plus what you burn back, preferably your BMR plus what you burn from exercise.
  • kaylajoey
    kaylajoey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    & also I realize that you need the carbs for energy, which is why I saved my cardio for the night time. Guess that doesnt make a difference though -_-
  • kaylajoey
    Options
    Good question, I'm not sure because I met her there and she was already on the treadmill
  • kaylajoey
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you want to be healthy, see a doctor for a physical at least once a year, eat all healthy food and exercise. I think a doctor would probably suggest less exercise or more food. But you should ask them.

I don't know if you can lose that much in that short a time or not. If you're trying to fit into a wedding dress, you might want to check on alterations, just in case.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Back when I was active duty enlisted I put on weight while on limited duty due to a shoulder injury. I'm 6'4 and according to the Marine Corps if I'm 221 lbs I'm a fatass (over weight). Because of my own laziness and being allowed to skate out of PT while rehabbing my shoulder I put on 40-ish pounds and was up to the 260s. I made the cutting score to pick up Corporal but my SNCOIC non-rec'd me (non recommendation for promotion) because he knew I was being lazy and out of regs on my weight.

This pissed me off to no end, so I became very motivated to lose the weight. I'd get up in the mornings before any Company or Battalion PT and lift weights at the gym for about an hour. During lunch I'd go to the pool on base and swim laps for an hour. After work I'd go run... and back then for me 6 miles was a light/easy run. During this time I followed the eating regime from the Abs Diet and I cut the weight down in about six weeks and picked up my promotion.

You can lose the weight if you want to and are willing to put in the hours, and it sounds like you are. My recommendation would be that you don't restrict your calories so much as you restrict what KIND of calories you're getting. During that time I didn't really pay attention to the calories I ate, I just followed the eating plan and always had energy. I don't recommend you just jump your activity level up that high unless you're already pretty fit. Ease into it and if you do multiple workouts in a day, rotate the kind of exercises you're doing through the day (i.e., I never ran twice in the same day).
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! With hard work and LOTS of cardio you can make it happen.

Who are you talking to? This thread is 2 1/2 years old.