Sodium AGGG

Options
Trying hard to cut down on the sodium, but dangit, I keep going over.
I never realized how much sodium there was in EVERYTHING!!!
What the heck should I be eating? This greatly discourages me :(

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    What is your average on sodium? Eating more fruits and veggies helps with sodium levels, they have non or little.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I completely hear you. When I started tracking calories, fat, carbs and sodium I freaked out! My Sodium intake was through the roof. For cooking I switched to the Mrs. Dash no salt seasonings. They taste absolutely fantastic! And, I never liked cooked veggies except corn and carrots and now love my steamed broccoli and greanbeans with some of the seasonings.

I have also become very label conscious. Pretty much anything that is processed is going to be really high in sodium. I no longer eat deli lunch meat or use canned veggies. When I make chicken or a roast I try to make extra and then just slice it nice and thin to use for sandwiches. Since switching to fresh veggies and steaming or even baking them I have found such a dramatic decrease in my sodium.

And I know we hear it over and over... keep intaking that water! On days when you have extra sodium it really will help to flush out the body. I'm sure someone who has been doing this longer will have some better advice but this is what I found over last month!

Good Luck!!
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I've been struggling with this as well...:grumble:
  • rj0802
    Options
    I too have been blown away. I am new to the program and if one thing has astonished me its the amount of sodium that has been my diet and now that even though I am watching it very closely how hard it is not to go over. Great suggestions below from the person in regard to fresh veggies and staying away from anything processed. It is definitely a battle. Love Mrs Dash!!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    YOU WILL FIND TONS OF SALT/SODIUM IN PROCESSED FOODS.BOX FOODS. CANNED FOODS ECT. EAT FRESH FOODS, LEAN MEATS WHOLE GRAINS. TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM FOOD THAT HAS BEEN PROCESSED.
  • naguilar210
    Options
    I guess Im switching from these awesome microwaveable steamers to some fresh broccoli that I can add my own cheese too, or simple seasoning. WHEW! *Drinks water*
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You have to stay away from processed and fast food.

Canned soup has an astounding amount of sodium in it.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Watch eating out as well -- mexican/ Tex-mex restaurants are really heavy on the sodium as well. I have to watch it for blood pressure reasons so I try to stay below 1800/day with my goal at 1500 per day and boy is it tough!! Best thing I can tell you is to read every label!