Looking for friends to support (and a little kick!)

Options
Back post ankle surgery in April, I'm back up to 188lbs, looking to get down to 140lbs. I'm still working with physio to get a pain free walk but not there yet. Doing a bit of swimming and starting to get back into strength training. I had managed to lose about 8lbs by eating very clean during my post surgery recovery but then let it all go :( so time to take my health back into my hands and get exercising.

Just a little bit about where I am in life, post grad, on the final stretch of my write up. Hoping to get back kayaking soon. Helping my sister with her 3 kids, working p/t waitress to cover my costs. Looking at travelling and taking on the world in 2014 :D

Replies

• moneymom2
    moneymom2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It may not always be easy but it will be so worth it and it is great to see you taking action and making changes; you are never alone in your challenge we all have had good and bad days and the best thing you can do is get support and a team you can get praised from as well as encouragement and a listening ear when that is needed as well. Best of luck on a healthier you
  • ozzydigital
    Options
    The weight gain started about 10 years ago when I went through a very stressful time with my career. I was an executive and was laid off. I found a new position locally but that was not the right fit either for me. I also had some personal issues with my Mother and Sister and a very close Aunt died during that time. My hormones have been out of wack and with peri-menopause did help matters. I then worked from home for the last 3 years and that is when I have bounced to my highest weight ever of 188 lbs. The have been living a sedentary lifestyle. I also was diagnosed with hypothyroid disease. As a result, I am emotional eater and I put on the weight. I do not feel like myself and want to get back to being me.

The new me, I started a great job as an IT consultant at a Cancer Hospital in August and my Husband and I will be married for 25 years in February. Our two Sons will be graduating college and they will start their new careers, one as a Geologist and the other one in IT. I am very excited for them.

So I am motivated to get back in shape and get to a healthy weight. I am looking forward to my journey and my goal is to get to a size 10 weighing around 145-150 lbs by our anniversary since we will be going to Europe on an Anniversary trip. I welcome the encouragement and I am glad to be here.

Yesterday was a good start, but I went over 300 calories on my diet. Tracking what you eat is great because it holds you accountable. I noticed that I am taking in too much salt and fat. Today is a new day and I am going to the gym.

Wish me luck and thanks for the support.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I also am looking for friends and support. I am dealing with pain too. I have back issues related to Degenerative Disc Disease and I'm finding that water exercise is really the best bet for me. I joined the YWCA. I feel good about this on a personal level too because I know they support women in the area and there is a women's shelter on location. The water classes are fun and a good workout, even if the demographic is a bit geriatric.

But I'm hoping to get more into swimming once I get stronger. I also walk on the treadmill sometimes.

Diet is the hard part. I love food...especially the "wrong" foods. But we're starting a Biggest Loser competition at work, so I think that will help me get back on track.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I guess my point is that I know from experience that dealing with pain can really mess with one's motivation for staying on track. Sometimes when I can't work out because of pain, I feel like "why bother". But I'm learning that exercise is only part of the battle...and I'm not going to throw in the towel yet.

Let's be friends?