need advice please!

Options
I'm new to working out.. as in its been like 6 years since I've ran or lifted weights, or anything really.. I just started walking on the treadmill but I always seem to get light headed.. I also have tendonitis where my Achilles tendon is and I haven't figured out how to do cardio (or strength training for my legs) without pain. And I don't mean the kind of "pain" from a wall I've put up, but real pain that's unbearable. any suggestions would really be appreciated! thanks!

Replies

• egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    see a dr
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not necessary to lose weight, only a reasonable caloric deficit. See a doctor and reevaluate your goals.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    see a dr
    ^ this
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    When you are first going from doing nothing to doing any cardio, then you have to pace yourself. Make sure you are focusing on breathing and correct form when walking. Don't worry about upping the pace until it starts to be easy. Get your self some resistance bands. I love mine. if you can get some dumbells these are good too. I watched a video on strengthening your ankles for walking on youtube but of course you got to ask you dr if you have one. Just take it slow for now. Try out yoga. It burns calories. CHeck out Chris Freytag or any beginners yoga on youtube. Make everything you do into an exercise. Mopping or whatever. Dance to music and clean away. If the sweat falls, then calories are getting burned.
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    See a doctor and ask about getting physical therapy. Don't give up and start slowly. Good luck!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this!
  • airfern
    airfern Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to get tendinitis in my foot/ankle. I had to do some PT to strengthen the area and find the right shoes to resolve the issue. I was able to do that with help from my doctor and a good running store. I agree with the suggestions to start slowly but you may be ale to find a permanent solution to the tendinitis if you work with your doctor and/ or a PT. Good luck!
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well I did see my doctor but could never go back for a follow up because I lost my health insurance. So any other advice?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    As far as the lightheadedness, check that you're eating a 200-300 calorie meal containing some carbs (20+ grams)1-2 hours before.

See if you get lightheaded on the elliptical too.

Check your heart rate whenever you get lightheaded. Post it here.

For the Achilles tendonitis (assuming that's what it is), this exercise (eccentric calf training) has been shown in studies to help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYl8pOkw-aE

Also stretch your calves for 30 seconds every hour:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgkmbXz8Mo

Even better, wear a night splint, to stretch your Achilles while you sleep:
    http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Plantar-Fasciitis-Splint-Medium/dp/B006L8N71Y/ref=sr_1_12

How long are you walking for?
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do get more lightheaded on the elliptical then on a treadmill. but I usually will just eat some grapes or banana and some water before working out.. I thought too much would make my stomach more upset.. as far as the tendonitis goes, I can walk for a max of 25 minutes before it becomes too painful
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Well I did see my doctor but could never go back for a follow up because I lost my health insurance. So any other advice?

public health department
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    lightheadedness is a symptom of overdoing it, or something medically.....yeah public health dept if you can afford a Dr., u need to get this sorted out safely PLEASE
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had a similar pain in my foot for months. My podiatrist had me doing an ice slurry for 12 minutes every 3-4 hours. It was MISERABLE. The pain from the ice bath was sometimes too much and I had to stop at 5 minutes. But like clockwork, every 3-4 hours, I stuck my foot in a 5 gallon bucket filled half way to my knee with ice water. Sure enough, after about two weeks the pain began to subside. I also committed to not going bare foot and wearing high quality, arch supporting shoes. I have lived in my Chaco sandals all summer and will cry when it is too cold to wear them. My biggest advice for foot problems is to NEVER go bare foot and wear good shoes. It is worth the investment. Try to the ice bath. You may feel relief from it almost instantly. As the inflammation in my foot subsided, I let more and more time pass between soaking it. I still do it once a day after I work out.