Technology Question

Options
I'm looking into purchasing one of the gizmos to track heart rate, calories, distance, time etc etc... But I am finding that there are a LOT of these things out there!!
I have noticed the most popular tend to be Fitbit Flex, Jawbone, and Polar FT7 ---
So, what's the general feedback on these from those who use them, or other similar devices. Pros/Cons??
Thanks in advance guys!!

Replies

• lmo0183
    lmo0183 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you do a search from past threads, you will find a lot of stuff! The Fitbit and Jawbone aren't HRM from what I can tell, just fancy pedometers. If you are looking for HRM and a little better idea at calories burned, you want to go the Polar FT7. That's my opinion and I'm sure there will be lots of replies. If not, just do a search of old post!
    I personally have a Polar FT4 coming in the mail thanks to my wonderful husband. I looked at the other things but didn't think they would help me long term. Yes the sleeping info would be nice, but still not real accurate. I am getting the FT4 because we are on a tight budget right now, other HRM will do a lot more. I'm interested in calories burned at this point.
  • backtp
    Options
    correct fitbit is a fancy pedometer
    i have a flex thats all it does on paper

but if you are one that needs someone to push u work out then it helps in a way as well
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that any of these track all heart rate, calories, distance etc.

What exactly do you want? What do you plan to use it for?
    A heart rate monitor like Polar FT7 isn meant to be worn all day. I believe the GPS distance tracker would be separate.

The other may be meant to worn all day but don't track heart rate and may not track distance.
  • backtp
    Options
    It will be good its more accurate than fitbit/nike ; i tried it but chest strap was a hassle for the HRM
    i returned it in 2 days and got fitbit flex later
    I personally have a Polar FT4 coming in the mail
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am mostly interested in knowing my heart rate, seeing a close number of calories burned and seeing how my body is working. I don't mind wearing it all day long at all. That is why I am leaning more towards the wrist style. One with a chest strap is out the question for me.
    I think I read that the Polar tracks a constant heart rate.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I am mostly interested in knowing my heart rate, seeing a close number of calories burned and seeing how my body is working. I don't mind wearing it all day long at all. That is why I am leaning more towards the wrist style. One with a chest strap is out the question for me.

You can't wear a HRM all day long. Well, you can but the info will be useless.
    HRMs estimate calories based on a known relationship between heart rate and vO2 max during moderate intensity steady state cardio. There is little to know relationship at low level intensity.

A great blog on buying HRM
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

ETA - if you do buy one for exercise, the chest strap is really important for better accuracy. The wrist style ones will be far less accurate.
  • JDMarlowe
    Options

HRMs estimate calories based on a known relationship between heart rate and vO2 max during moderate intensity steady state cardio. There is little to know relationship at low level intensity.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

ETA - if you do buy one for exercise, the chest strap is really important for better accuracy. The wrist style ones will be far less accurate.

Not wanting to check my heart rate all day... I misworded that, LOL. More of wearing the device all day, which is why I don't want one with a chest strap. I will def check out the blog, that will help a lot, thanks!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Not wanting to check my heart rate all day... I misworded that, LOL. More of wearing the device all day, which is why I don't want one with a chest strap. I will def check out the blog, that will help a lot, thanks!!!

I don't understand why you would wear it all day.

I don't mean check heart rate all day, I mean the information on calories burned that it would give would would be wrong and inflated.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you want a device that will track heart rate, calories, distance and time all in one device you're going to have to shell out some dough. Talking close to $300.

More than a year ago, I was only really interested in the heart rate/calorie burn aspect of it. I went with a Polar FT60 ($180) because of the built in training program and fitness test it had. It also had the ability to work with a footpod (additional $125) that would track distance. I figured I could always add it in my mix when I got to that point.

Speed up to a couple months ago when I began full on training for a half marathon and distance tracking became crucial. I started looking more into gps trackers. The reviews I read on the polar footpod made me decide against it. I went with a Garmin Frontrunner 10 ($116). I love this device. It tells the distance I've run, my average pace, time spent exercise and current time. And the Garmin connect website is amazing when all the data is transferred in from the watch. This watch does not work with treadmill work however, for that you would need an additional footpod. GPS only tracks actual forward movement.

I didn't go with a higher end garmin because I already had a hrm and was loathe to spend more money for a feature I already had. I'm that weird girl who wears two watches. haha. Oh well. If I had known how much I would love running from the beginning or if I had considered where I might be fitness-wise in the future, I would have gone with a more advanced garmin that has gps + hrm like the Garmin 610. That would be my dream device.

On another note, do you have a smart phone? There are many apps you could use in conjunction with a chest strap and transmitter that would allow you to track heart rate and gps based distance and for much cheaper.
  • JDMarlowe
    Options

I don't mean check heart rate all day, I mean the information on calories burned that it would give would would be wrong and inflated.

Ah, ok, I get what you are saying now. I know it would not accuratly track calories burned all day long by wearing it all day. It's more of wearing it so I don't forget to wear it. If it's already on, then I don't have to worrry about putting it on. Do they have the options to start the calorie tracking at any point? So that I can start tracking the calories when I begin working out and stop it when the work out it over?
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    From looking at your replys, it looks like your just after a basic activity tracker for day to day life. I would recommend the Fitbit One over the bracelet type trackers like the Flex or Up.

But know that none of these track heart rate and distance tracking would be inaccurate if you were to mix running/walking as distance is calculated based on a personally entered stride length.
  • JDMarlowe
    Options
    If you want a device that will track heart rate, calories, distance and time all in one device you're going to have to shell out some dough. Talking close to $300.

More than a year ago, I was only really interested in the heart rate/calorie burn aspect of it. I went with a Polar FT60 ($180) because of the built in training program and fitness test it had. It also had the ability to work with a footpod (additional $125) that would track distance. I figured I could always add it in my mix when I got to that point.

Speed up to a couple months ago when I began full on training for a half marathon and distance tracking became crucial. I started looking more into gps trackers. The reviews I read on the polar footpod made me decide against it. I went with a Garmin Frontrunner 10 ($116). I love this device. It tells the distance I've run, my average pace, time spent exercise and current time. And the Garmin connect website is amazing when all the data is transferred in from the watch. This watch does not work with treadmill work however, for that you would need an additional footpod. GPS only tracks actual forward movement.

I didn't go with a higher end garmin because I already had a hrm and was loathe to spend more money for a feature I already had. I'm that weird girl who wears two watches. haha. Oh well. If I had known how much I would love running from the beginning or if I had considered where I might be fitness-wise in the future, I would have gone with a more advanced garmin that has gps + hrm like the Garmin 610. That would be my dream device.

On another note, do you have a smart phone? There are many apps you could use in conjunction with a chest strap and transmitter that would allow you to track heart rate and gps based distance and for much cheaper.

Thanks for the info!! I saw those also and they looked very interesting as well. I can't really due running due to a severe hip, leg, knee injury that makes running very painful, so my cardio is done on elliptical, treadclimber, pilates ETC. Would they still be benificial with this type of exercise?
  • Danimal718
    Danimal718 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for data only when you are working out look into Polar. Many machines such as ellipticals and treadmills...etc will sync with a Polar HRM chest strap. If you're only going to use it while on the machine I would just buy the chest strap and not the watch part, as you don't need the watch part to interface with the machines.

I personally use the Hitbit Flex. I chose it over the one because it's waterproof, comfortable and is updated technology. it does not do stairs or elevation changes because Fitbit determined that the One was not accurate in those areas.

As far as HRM and distance tracking I have the Garmin 910XT and wear a chest strap with it when I exercise. I don't foresee buying a new hrm anytime soon because this one does everything and more I need it to do.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Ah, ok, I get what you are saying now. I know it would not accuratly track calories burned all day long by wearing it all day. It's more of wearing it so I don't forget to wear it. If it's already on, then I don't have to worrry about putting it on. Do they have the options to start the calorie tracking at any point? So that I can start tracking the calories when I begin working out and stop it when the work out it over?

Ah, yup. You push the start button on the watch when your workout starts and the end button when it ends. You can also pause the workout without ending it if you have loud mouthed instructors like mine that sometimes talk too much :laugh: just don't forget to turn it back on :| You also have to wet the area between the chest strap and the transmitter (really just a couple drops of water) for good electrical contact so it can read your heart rate. Once your workout is in full swing and you are sweating, the moisture part is handled.

I also wasn't crazy about the chest strap aspect but now I can barely feel it and love the freakin gizmo. I have an ft4
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4...love it! No probs so far and very user friendly!
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love my Bluetooth Zephyr HRM that links to iCardio and automatically updates MFP. The BT HRM is $87 on amazon and the app for android or Apple is about $5.99 for the Pro version.

Tracks everything I need, I have Endomondo too, but find I go back to iCardio. They both show a map of where you have been, and it's pretty cool for under $100.