Struggling so bad right now.

Options
I'm going through my roughest rut so far in my health journey. I get some motivation but it's been fizzling out so quickly. For example, I had a great work out last Sunday and had plans to keep up and eat good... Well, Monday was my off day anyways, and it was spent sailing with the hubby's family. While one the boat we snacked on things like mini donuts, chips, and cookies. Afterwards we went out to eat at a pizza restaurant. Tuesday was a 12 hour work day that started at 6am. When I got off we rushed over to my family's house 40 minutes away, stayed long enough to eat dinner and got back home in time for bed. Wednesday I worked another 12 hour day that was followed up by dinner and in bed by 7:30. Thursday was the same as Wednesday. Friday I was finally off and was so happy to sleep in, instead of getting up at 4:30am. Finally rolled out of bed around 12:30 to get ready and go sailing again with the hubby's family. Once again we ate delicious crappy snacks and had pizza for dinner. I had to go to bed again as soon as we got home. Another round of 12 hour days Saturday, today, and tomorrow.

I get soooo exhausted after waking up at 4:30am and working until 6pm that all I have energy to do when I get home is eat dinner and go to bed. I'll be working the night shift again in 2 weeks, which is easier for me since I get home at 6am and will be up by 2pm, which is plenty of time to work out.

Work isn't the only thing causing me to struggle lately. I'm a newlywed of 2 months. My hubby didn't live with me until we got married. He loves when I cook. But we always seem to have plans and aren't home to cook dinner. Not to mention when we are out and about we don't eat the best meals. We've also been working polar opposite shifts with me being on days. If I did cook a meal when he's not home he probably wouldn't end up eating any of it. I've also tried to get the hubby to join the gym with me to e my workout partner, but he's just not that interested.

I'm hoping to figure out a remedy soon so things are a little more successful.

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're a nurse, I feel your pain on the 12's. I find that if I drink a bottle of water and have some fruit or almonds on the way home, I'm not as snacky and hungry when I get home..

I hope you can get it together, the way I see it, you have 2 choices;

1. Keep making excuses and don't hold yourself accountable and undo all of your hard work before you reach your goal.
    2. Stop making excuses and do what you know you need to do.

I was thin when I got married, I gained weight the first year, my mom teased it was contentment. I started having kids, breastfeeding yada yada, When the dust settled I looked around, I had 4 gorgeous, happy children, but I weighed 40 pounds more than I did when I got married. The yoyo diet cycle started until a few months ago, when I quit making excuses and took care of business.

You can do this, I believe in you. You may have to resort your priorities, but it's something only you can do.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Do you want to be healthy? Or do you want to want to be healthy?

You need to plan and to stick to the plan if that is really what you want to do.

I wish you the best
  • crystalrp
    crystalrp Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Some pre-planning and cooking for the week on your days off might help you. Also, what if you took some healthy snacks on the boat? It sounds like you are undoing all your work every time you go out on the boat. Plan for success! You can do it, it just takes a little time and planning! :) Good luck!
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult when you have long days. I feel your pain. What has helped me is to have snacks on hand like fresh fruits and veggies. You might also think about quick meals you could fix easily without much prep work like a tortilla filled with veggies , salsa and grilled chicken strips, or prewashed salads with some protein like beans , chicken or cheese. I also have some microwave meals on hand. They may not be the best with their high sodium content but they are sure better than overeating and then feeling bad afterwards. I usually take a microwave meal to work, grab an organic prewashed salad and some tomatoes and fruits for lunch and snacks at work. At home, I try to do something quick because I know that if I am hungry and exhausted, my defenses are down. It works well for me, as long as I have healthy snacks available.
    I usually work ten hour shifts , so my day is a little shorter than yours, but my commute is quite long (about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs a day). What I try to do is to walk in my breaks. I try to get two twenty minute walks in if at all possible. I feel it is better than nothing.
    You can do it. We all struggle and some days go smoother than others. It is a learning process and you will find a way that works for you. We are all a little different. Good luck.