how did you stick with it ...

Options
Ive had so many weight loss journeys but ive failed all of them .ive been at this so long And ive failed so many times thatI feel that I will never see reults . How did you stick with it .... How did you conquer and stay consistent without giving up hope on your jouney .. How long did it take you to succeed

Replies

• MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    this journey is a lifelong road...there is no true success or failure. Just learning along the way. Setting goals is great but truthfully, just take your time analyzing what you truly one. Do not focus on a number but on how you feel. That's when you succeed. Love yourself and it will be easier. Time will truly make it easier to stick with it as you say. It also takes dedication
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    One good choice after another and logged everything to hold myself accountable :)
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm still on my "journey" -- but I've come to realize this isn't just a journey...this is a forever thing. I changed the way I look at food and exercise and I deleted the word "diet" from my memory. I wanna be healthy for the long haul, so even when I reach my goal weight, I'm not going to go back to what got me fat and out of shape in the first place (over eating and being lazy).
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I accepted that it is a lifestyle change and will take years to get to where I want to be. There will absolutely be bumps, setbacks, etc. along the way, but as long as I come back to focusing on getting rid of bad habits and fostering good ones, I will reach my goal.
  • sjanejack
    Options
    well, telling myself it takes time to lose weight, even as much as you want
    that a little bit of progress is still progress
    and there's the fact that I realized I did not ever in my life want to get diabetes
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This is the simplest of quotes but holds so much meaning:

When your Sick and tired of starting over, stop giving up

:drinker:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

536953_506009826154445_1186925705_n.jpg

YUP
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I accepted that it is a lifestyle change and will take years to get to where I want to be. There will absolutely be bumps, setbacks, etc. along the way, but as long as I come back to focusing on getting rid of bad habits and fostering good ones, I will reach my goal.

Exactly this.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    This is a copy/pasta from my profile "about me", but it is the answer to this question:

I believe in effort. In trying when I don't think I can try any more. In figuring out what I want to do and then just freaking doing it. You don't think you have time to work out? Make time. You don't think you can count calories? Stop lying to yourself. Everyone here is busy. Everyone here has lives. We manage just fine. Just do it.

I believe in tough love. Someone wrapping the truth in glittery rainbows doesn't make me any stronger. Life is short; I'm not going to worry about putting someone's favorite color wrapping paper on every gift of helpful advice I have to offer. The quality of information does not depend on the way that it sounds. I won't pamper anyone and I hope others will be straightforward with me in return.

I believe in fighting. I've gotten past enough to not be afraid of anything anymore. Fear of failure is the worst kind of weakness. It keeps a person from even trying, and what is more valiantly human than trying the unknown? Starting to run isn't building a flying machine. The gym isn't that scary. Entering the weight room isn't landing on Mars. They're not all staring. So I did something stupid. I won't do it next time. Somebody was rude. Hey, welcome to the world.

I don't believe in motivation. So what if the bed is soft and my sleep is sweet and the pillow feels like a cotton dream beneath my lazy head. I don't care. The iron isn't gonna lift itself. Eating right doesn't require cheerleaders. Working out isn't an emotional statement. It is an action, like brushing your teeth or going to work. Just do it.

I don't believe in "feeling like it" or being excited about all the workouts or printing out pretty motivational quotes that use someone else's dreams to substitute for my own. My sweat is not my fat crying. I'm not trying to lap all the people on the couch. I'm working out because there's something refining in straining at the weights and besting them. There's something pure in the rhythm of my footsteps on the road. There's something exhilarating and empowering and magical about commanding the barbell to rise and then watching it obey. There's something that I'm reaching for.

I don't believe in excuses. In this day, in this moment, do the thing that must be done. "There are plateaus, but you cannot stay there. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level." --Bruce Lee.

Nike has it right.

Just freaking do it.
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    You haven't failed if you keep on trying. ;)
    One step at a time. Get hungry and passionate about your goals, so your excuses and the obstacles are nothing in comparison. You CAN do this! Think positive and remember, mind over matter. :wink:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    "If you're paralyzed by a voice in your head, it's the standing still that should be scaring you instead. Do it anyway."

Staying where I was sucked. Moving forward was the only option.
  • thenextstep
    Options
    I tried many times as well to lose weight. I've finally stuck with it because I really wanted to lose weight. I just want to I actually wanted to. I had reasons besides wanting other people to accept me, and when I final realized I needed to do it for me that's when it clicked.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I kept looking at random pics of people with nice abs. I imagined and told myself that one day I'll look just like that. That kept me motivated.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You have to be ready for it. For me, I realized I could not keep going on as I was. I was over 300 pounds, trying unsuccessfully to have a baby, I had a fatty liver, my blood sugar was getting uncontrollable and I was almost sedentary. I'm a 5'7" woman, and more than 300 is big. I could convince myself when I was 270 that it was just a phase and I'd get out of it, but then a couple years passed and it didn't, and then five years passed and I was 300. I topped out at 320 last year.

It was this year that several doctors told me they couldn't help me get pregnant because of my weight. Not only was it a weight issue for fertility doctors, but no anesthesiologist wanted to touch me to do IVF because of the high risk (my breathing and respiratory system is fine, but the numbers don't look good to risk assessment teams). So in June, I decided while I was on summer break (I teach college) I would get a personal trainer three times a week and try to drop weight and be as healthy as possible. I made a plan that I would change my life forever.

For me, this isn't a "diet" this is my life. And my life was kinda crappy and I wasn't able to achieve the goals I wanted at my size and in my condition. So, I changed. And 11 weeks later, I'm 280, I've dropped dozens of inches and walk/jog 1.5 miles six times a week (aside from strength conditioning), a very far cry from me sitting on the couch eating pizza and watching TV. I'm only seeing the personal trainer twice a week now, but there's still some accountability. She's the only person besides me that sees my weight loss and knows exactly what I'm doing (even my husband is in the dark about the numbers) and I think that's good for me.

You have to be ready to change your life. You have to be so sick of where you are that you know you have to change or your life or die, or not have a baby, or get a liver transplant, or suffer a heart attack, or be paralyzed by a stroke. That's when it becomes all very crystal clear -- not that the path is an easy one, because it is not at all, not at all -- but it's the only path out.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Motivation gets you started, habit keeps you going.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    good choices after good choices. loving myself enough to want to make it happen. knowing I will make it happen. doing it for myself. it's just how bad I want it. and to be honest I'm sure god has something to do with it, as I have no cravings for anything that I used to eat. just wierd. but I'm focused and determined. I will not give up.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options

I love this, as it is so simple and so profound at the same time!!!
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I still have a ways to go. However, I have had a few weight loss journeys as well. I lost weight in the past due to poor dieting, just to gain it all back. This time is different though. I have learned a new way of eating which is key. I am not starving myself any more. I can eat real foods and still lose weight...everything in moderation. Realizing how unhappy I was at 202 lbs is what keeps me going. I don't want to get that unhealthy again. My kids need me at my best.
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I still have quite a ways to go and I have as well failed many times. However, I think it is important to accept that this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. It will take time to learn what works for you. There will be setbacks and some days will be easier than others.
    I saw a quote that really struck a cord with me. It said something like "if you fall down a step you don't throw yourself down the whole flight of stairs ". So why do we tend to throw up our hands and say " I will never be able to lose" and give up. Yes we will be able to lose weight, we just have to get up and try again right after we slip up. Just forgive yourself and move on.
    I also believe that it is important to know what motivates us to lose the weight. Be very clear about why you are going on this journey.
    Another trap I stepped into all the time (unfortunately) was expecting too much. I wanted to be perfect and lose this weight quickly, This is just very unrealistic and set me up for failure over and over again. As I finally have accepted that it will take time and that there will be setbacks, I have been able to lose. The last thing that I think is very important is that a big part of weight loss happens in the mind ( especially if you have a lot to lose) . For me, there is a reason why I have chosen to calm myself with food for years. If I can't get to the bottom of this problem, then my weight loss efforts will be futile. For me, therapy was is the solution, but everyone is different. I just felt that I needed professional help after my lifelong struggle with food. Hang in there, it is not easy but it will be worth it. You will grow stronger with every step you take and will emerge as a new person down the road, just don't give up.:smile: