help to understand

Options
Scoobie calculations gives me a BMR 1452, I used Desk job etc.., I do about 30 minutes of bike everyday that burns about 200 calories

my question is should I eat BMR 1452 plus my exercise minutes , will I be ok

5'1 ...189 pounds ..66 years old I want to lose 30 pounds....:flowerforyou:

Replies

• gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Two hundred calories isn't much in either direction.
    My own preference is if I'm hungry I eat them back.
    If not I give it a miss.
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    my question is really am I ok in eating BMR and maybe exercise...but I really question the eating BMR part is that ok...the one calculated by Scoobie and not MFP
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure if this will work is to try it for 4 weeks and see. Online calculators are just estimations.
    Edit to add: at the end of 4 weeks you can make adjustments as needed.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you're going to use the TDEE method, you should calculate the numbers based on your normal daily activity. If you bike regularly, you should include that in your activity level. You may want to try calculating your TDEE again as "lightly active" and subtract 15% or 20% from that number. If you want to eat close to your BMR, you should definitely eat your exercise calories back.
    Or just let MFP set your calorie goal for you (aim to lose 1 lb a week) and eat back most of your exercise calories.

Just make sure your calorie burns are accurate.
  • sun_fish
    Options
    my question is really am I ok in eating BMR and maybe exercise...but I really question the eating BMR part is that ok...the one calculated by Scoobie and not MFP

This is a really good read, hopefully it will answer your question: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058378-oh-noes-i-am-eating-below-my-bmr
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    thank you for your replies I really do appreciate....I get loss with all these BMR...TDEE...:drinker:
  • sun_fish
    Options
    thank you for your replies I really do appreciate....I get loss with all these BMR...TDEE...:drinker:

I understand - it is all confusing and then you get lots of different opinions from different people. I am a big believer in finding what works for you. There is no magic number that is good for everyone. There is a group on MFP called Eat, Train, Progress that you can join. The people that run it are amazing resources for information. Here's a link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Good luck! :flowerforyou: