Share with me: salad dressing ideas...

Options

Replies

• BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been having ranch, I just use a lot less than 2 tablespoons, that's way too much for me. Usually ends up being like 70 cal per salad in dressing.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    LOVE Girard's Champagne dressing. I only use a little bit about 1Tbsp on my salad, and it's absolutely divine. Also, I sometimes make my own Coconut-Balsamic vinaigrette, in one of those good seasons bottles; I replace olive oil with coconut oil, and use my own mix of seasonings- onion & garlic powder, celery salt, pepper to taste- it's delicious! The only thing with the coconut oil is, it has to be warm in order to be in a liquid state, so I only really use it on a salad that has something hot atop, like chicken, steak or salmon.

Hope you like! :drinker:

ETA- just saw you prefer creamy dressings; I have to say, I've never been a huge fan of vinaigrette dressings because of the acidity, but the Champagne dressing isn't harsh or acidic at all, and the yummy thing about the coconut balsamic is the vinegar and oil compliment one another nicely- the coconut actually brings out the sweetness in the balsamic.
  • jjanay100
    jjanay100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Creamy soutwest dressing - Greek yogurt, lime juice, salsa and cumin. Great with a mexican salad - black beans, cheddar, avocado, peppers, red onion, corn etc
    Low sugar Asian dressing - ginger, garlic, green onion, soya sauce, little honey, tiny bit of sesame oil, chicken stock or water. I love this with a salad topped with toasted almonds, orange segments, and chicken or salmon - YUM!! (I actually had it for lunch today :)
  • angel2783
    angel2783 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Kraft Italian Vinaigrette with Extra Virgin Oil
    30 Calories
    2.0g Total Fat
    150g Sodium
    1.5g Carbs
    1.5g Sugar per 2 tablespoon
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki sauce makes a great salad dressing, as well as a good substitute for mayo. I'd like to second the fork tines trick, the tablespoon of dressing mixed into the salad thoroughly, and the recipe for honey mustard dressing!
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Tagging for later - thanks guys!
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have always used the Walden Farms zero calorie Caesar dressing. I like it...
    their thousand island is also good but stay away from the ranch.
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Tonton Ginger Japanese Dressing and Marinade. It's the same dressing you get in Japanese restaurants, and it's only 20 calories per tablespoon. I got it at Costco. Delicious!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Our store carries dressings made by WALTON that are fat-free and calorie-free. Have tried them all and they are great. If your stores do not carry them, google the info and take it to your favorite store. ALL STORES want to carry weight-loss products, as they tend to be their biggest sales.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Options
    Ugh...everyone says not to eat salad dressings :noway:
    but if it fits into my macros, and calories for the day I will have ranch dressing on my salad. :blushing:

Cottage cheese is actually really good on a salad without dressing as well :)
  • eatyourselffitter
    Options
    I have tried A LOT of different caesar dressings over the years and hands down Bolthouse Farms is my absolute fave. Its only 45 cals for 2 tbsp and have a nice flavor and way better than any bottle brand I've tried. Almost all their dressings are made from yogurt. I also like just mixing seasoned rice vinegar and a dash of sesame oil and seasonings/herbs. Trader Joe's has some good ones (in the cold case section) as well.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    the calorie-free dressing manufacture is WALDEN FARMS. and they have their own web site OR print it out and take it to your favorite store for them to carry.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • WOODWAYONE
    WOODWAYONE Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing made with Greek yogurt.

2 cups Greek yogurt (I use 2 percent Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt)
    1 Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
    1 percent milk

Mix Greek yogurt and Hidden Valley mix together....add milk until it's the right thickness. ( doesn't take much)

It's only 50 cals per 1/4 cup .....plus 6 grams protein!

Oh! This sounds like the answer to my ranch problems. Thank you!!
    I do similar. 2 Cups of Greek yogurt, equal parts dill, onion powder, garlic powder, and chives (I can't use the dressing mix because of the massive amounts of sodium in it), and instead of milk I use buttermilk to thin it to the consistency I want(it thickens a bit in the fridge). My very own healthier buttermilk Ranch! NOM NOM NOM NOM. Or I leave it thicker (less buttermilk) and use it as a dip for veggies.
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Pureed mango.....add seasoning to taste...creamy and rich, zero fat.
  • horses7777
    Options
    For my money, nothing tastes as good as the Bernsteins Light Cheese Fantastico dressing (make sure you get the light). It is cheesy and creamy and delicious and only 25 calories for 2 tablespoons! They don't sell it where I live, so I either order it on Amazon (frightfully expensive but so worth it) or load up when I visit my sister in Hawaii!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    If you love ranch make it based with buttermilk which is around 30 cals for 100 ml. Add a little fat in the form of sour cream or mayonnaise. Flavour with garlic powder, salt, herbs such as dried oregano, marjoram or thyme.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just found this the other day - MUST TRY!

Lightened Up Tahini-Lemon Dressing
    Yield: Just under 1 cup of dressing
    Ingredients:
    1/4 cup Tahini
    2 garlic cloves
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
    1/4 cup Nutritional yeast or a bit more, to taste
    2-4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
    1 tsp kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
    3 tbsp water, or as needed

Directions:
    1. In a food processor, add all ingredients and process until smooth. Makes just under 1 cup.

From: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/12/lightened-up-protein-power-goddess-bowl/#ixzz2eKy2fSrO
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    this week my wife an I stopped at a store that only sold olive oil and vinegars. ( VINEGARS?? what are they nuts? :explode: )

no - they were not nuts. the owner took us in and had us taste several balsamic vinegars and explained a lot about them. Same with the olive oils.

Bottom line, these were a lot more expensive- but also had ten times the flavor. A little goes a long way- and yes I did buy the bourbon flavored vinegar.

by the way, if you ever get a chance to try melon drizzled with bourbon flavored vinegar- don't miss it.

Len