Lexapro 20 mg & weight gain??

Options
I am curious to know has anyone else taken Lexapro and noticed a weight stall or weight gain while taking this medicine? I was on Celexa and my Dr recommened we switch to Lexapro as she felt it was needed for progression with my Anxiety etc..then she upped the dose from 10 mg to 20 mg in a few months and I feel it is causing me not to loose weight as good as I was in the past..Could this be the case. Please ONLY reply with helpful comments or if you have experienced weight gain or stall with it personally. Thanks :)

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I was taking noratripalyin which is an ssri that is often used for chronic headaches and I did gain 10lbs in a short amount of time on it. Talk to your doctor about other options that do not cause weight gain. I have a friend who recently got meds switched around and she is now losing weight on topamax. Not sure if that treats what you are dealing with.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've been on 10mgs for 3 months now. I've actually lost 10 pounds, but it's been WAY slow the last 6 weeks.
  • zoebosco
    zoebosco Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on Lexapro for 1 year for OCD and anxiety. I had lost 20 lbs from my anxiety, which I needed to do. However, after a few months on Lexapro I quickly regained the weight and have an additional 5 lbs. I feel my stomach bloats when I eat and i cannot seem to lose any weight. In 3 months of increasing my exercising and restricting calories to 800-1,000 each day, I cannot lose anything. If I increase my calories above this, I gain. Frustrated!
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    REDI4CHANGE60 Posts: 170
    Options
    I gained on Lexapro. I take seven meds daily, six of which have weight gain as a known, normal side effect. But, for most of us, we can still lose if we adjust our diet and exercise accordingly. It's harder, true, but it can be done. I have struggled for years and put on lots of additional weight due to meds ... but thru effort, it is coming off now.
  • Elitytha
    Elitytha Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight since I was put on Lexapro and quickly put on 30 lbs in the last year. Before that I was the type that could eat what I liked when I liked with no problems. I didn't think the Lexapro was at fault since it is not a listed side effect, but after months of trying to lose weight on my own I talked to my Dr about it. He said that it could be an effect from the Serotonin. I have been weaning off of the Lexapro for the past month and I am currently down 6lbs. My diet is still relatively the same. I have lost 1.5 lbs since the 4th O.o