the importance of water?

Options
I have notice I have not been loosing any weight... now while thats a bit stressful... I am getting a really good idea around what is actually in the food I eat. So I have been wondering... I reallly don't like water... and will avoid it at all costs... so how critical is water to weight loss... and if I continue not to drink it... will I not loose weight?

Vicki-Lee

Replies

• chrystlana
    Options
    Water is key for a fully functioning, healthy body. It combats water weight, helps your body to digest food more efficiently, and assists your organs in just about every function possible. Why do you avoid it at all costs?

If you up your water intake you'll see weight drop off because 1) Your food is being digested faster, therefore not sitting stagnant and being absorped inefficiently 2) Your body will not hold on to water weight that it currently needs in order to digest food because you are constantly supplying it with replenishment 3) You won't be as hungry if you are properly hydrated 4) Overall your body is functioning at such a higher level that your metabolism will increase.

Water is GOOD!! It's works magic.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't drink as much as they suggest, but more than I did before reading up on it.

In my understanding, water serves two purposes. First, it keeps you hydrated. This keeps your muscles happy and your organs working like they should. In that, I notice that if I do not drink enough water when dieting, I actually need laxatives. Water just keeps it all working. Without proper water, you will use less energy. I notice lack of water more when riding my bike than food. If I go without drinking on the bike, I ride slower.

Second, water makes you feel fuller and you eat less. Often, cravings for food is your body really telling you that you need water. And according to some studies, drinking one glass of ice water burns 100 calories, or something like that.

We slice a little bit of lemon to give it some taste.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, water is soooooooo important. If you are not drinking enough, you most likely will not lose weight. I drink about a gallon a day. Drink enough water so your urine is very light yellow.

Think of it this way: a car needs water (coolant) to keep it running properly. If it doesn't have it, it's going to overheat and quit running. Our bodies are similar. If you are not drinking enough water, your body is going to hold onto as much as it can which actually contributes to water weight. It's not going to work right. If you don't like the taste, try adding a little flavoring like lemon or something. You could try Crystal Light. There's tons of flavors and there is only 5 calories for 8 oz. That would help a great deal. Keep a water bottle with you at all times. If you up your water intake, and continue with healthy eating and exercise, you will lose weight. Good luck!!!
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    hey i hate water also but it helps me so much i found if i have a really big cup with a straw i will tend to drink much more water is very very important u need this to lose weight!!
  • Darkraiven
    Darkraiven Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am a hardcore Coffee and Iced Tea lover... However because of this, I have to make a point of drinking even MORE water since those things are diuretics...

I am not a huge fan of plain, boring water most of the time... However.... I have found that there are certain Crystal Light mixes I like that will help me consume the water...

Lately- I have found that keeping a cold bottle of water handy has become an "addiction' in a way... a new habit... and I will find myself drinking and sipping and even chugging water... just out of habit.

I know that every time I drink the water... I am doing something good for my body, good for ME.. and I am helping my weight loss which helps keep me motivated.

I won't drink tap water... mostly because it tastes horrible. Find a water (Distilled, Mountain Spring, etc ) that you can "tolerate" and start drinkin!!

I wish you the best of luck!
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I agree water is a big part of losing weight. The more water I drink the better lose I get. I was told that herbal tea counts as part of your daily water. Maybe if you are not a water drinker this might be a good alternative for you. There is such a big variety of caffeine free herbal teas. Also like others have said crystal light or adding lemon to your water helps get your water in.
  • kblamo
    Options
    I have heard of people losing several LBS just by switching to water from other drinks... that's one of the things I am doing now. Especially when the first day I got on here I added a Pepsi and saw that it was 1/4 of my daily calories for a large one :noway:

I have also noticed that on here when I complete a day without water and then go back and add it, my block that talks about if everyday were like today goes way lower, so I guess I need to force the water down! Any ideas on how to do that? I really kind of hate water...
  • ginastnly
    Options
    The flavor packets are great to use. I do the crystal light or the hawaiian punch flavor packets. The HP packets are only $1 for a box of 8. They have many flavors and all are very good. My new thing is Vitamin water by Glaceau. It tasts good and my two favorite flavors are the fruit punch and orange. also a little lemon with the water will help. Give it a try it will help with your water intake and water is VERY important to weight loss and for your body in general. Good Luck
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Out of personal experience, water makes the greatest bit of difference for me. If I don't drink enough water, I don't lose weight.. if I drink water, I do lose weight and I feel better and have more energy.

I don't know how I got over the not liking water hurdle but now I love it and try to drink 10 glasses a day. It helps if I drink cold or warm water depending on my mood and I'll drink tea if I need the flavor.

I hope you find a way to get the water down!