For the oldies and the newbies!

Options
For the oldies - Did you have that moment when you realized that this is it, i'm in this forever? I have been struggling with my weight for most of my life. I have done diets off and on. They usually lasted 3 to 4 months - longest was 9 months. But this time it is different, i'm definitely not on a diet. I have just made this my life. I started in August of 2009 and i'm just as motivated, if not more, than I was when I started. This has become my life. I don't go out of my way to starve myself. I crave exercise. I am doing it the right way. It hasn't become my entire life, it's just a part of my life and I think that is the difference. I have been stalled for 3 months. THREE FRIGGIN' MONTHS and instead of wanting to give up and pig out, I am more motivated than ever to just keep going. In fact, I feel like even if I never lose another pound again, I can live like this forever because I feel good. It isn't all about the appearance to me anymore (i'd be lying through my teeth if I said it wasn't about it at all). The past few days I have had a pretty crappy sinus infection. I still made good choices and I still managed to go out for a walk just to move my body. It made me realize, this is it...I am living my life this way forever. I knew I wanted to, but i'm actually doing it. It makes me happy. Did you have that moment?

For the Newbies - Stick with it. When you get to this point ^ right there, it is the best feeling ever. You can do it. If I can, anyone can.

Replies

• emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I feel!!
    I know I'm a newbie and until tomorrow I don't know how much I've lost but I was saying exactly the same earlier. This is not a diet for me! It is not like any other diet I've done before, where I am constantly thinking about the weight I'm gonna lose. This is my new healthy life and the weight loss is just a bonus!

Congrats on how much you've lost, can't wait till that's me!!!

xx
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I feel!!
    I know I'm a newbie and until tomorrow I don't know how much I've lost but I was saying exactly the same earlier. This is not a diet for me! It is not like any other diet I've done before, where I am constantly thinking about the weight I'm gonna lose. This is my new healthy life and the weight loss is just a bonus!

Congrats on how much you've lost, can't wait till that's me!!!

xx

Stick with it, and you will get there before you know. And you will stall and want to break a few scales. And you will have bumps along the road. But, you will get there if you stick with it. I am still not THERE, but i'm going to get there goshdarnit.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm an oldie, and hte feeling you're describing is REAL and intense and SO WORTH IT! When I hit the 20lbs lost mark, and I realized that this was actually working, I entered into the bliss zone. The realization that I don't have to be fat forever. And it is awesome!
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have definately had my ahh moment.

I'm not really an oldie but after a month I don't really feel like a newbie either. Definately still in the infant phase. This is the longest I've EVER stuck with a weight loss program.

But my ahhh moment came two weeks ago. Three weeks ago, I was one week into this journey and decided to fast for guidance and assistance (because I was going way over every day). It was the first time I was able to make it through a fast in about 10 years. And the fast day wasn't even unbearable and actually quite enjoyable.

But the benefits were felt throughout the following week. I had such a great week. In fact, I had a hard time even getting to 1200 calories a day. The following Sunday, I sat in church and just cried. I knew that I had finally broken the bonds of my addiction to food and my life would NEVER be the same.

In the two weeks since, I won't say that I haven't had my hard times but they were momentary lapses and not complete failures.

I am so thankful to God, my friends, my church family, and my MFP family for the encouragement and support that has been shown to me.

Thank you all.

Eva
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Lina, this happened to me a long time ago (in MFP time), probably 3 years ago now I'd say. But yeah, my lifestyle is so ingrained now I don't even think about it any more. I'll still eat crappy once in a (great) while, and I'll have stretches where I exercise little, but the difference is, now those times feel like the exceptions. And I am maintaining without struggling now, it's weird when I stop and think about it, but it's nice to know this is permanent, it's a big relief.
  • Arianna86
    Options
    Hello,

I am a newbie to this site but have been working on myself since June. Sof far 33lbs lost and I'm excited to keep losing more. It definitely took me to realize that it isn't a diet, but a healthy lifestyle and I think that has helped me with changing other aspects of my life for the better as well. A co-worker sent me the link for this website and it is so encouraging to know there's other people out there who feel the same way I do. I really never thought it was possible for me to lose weight and that I would always be fat, but when you finally make the decision to change and stay commited it truly pays off. I wish everyone the best of luck with attaining there goals and living a healthy lifestyle and look forward to sharing positive ideas and exciting news with you all. :)
  • shannie_134
    Options
    Hi
    I have been on here for nearly a month but started my journey in February and have lost 17lbs,I have only counted calories since joining MFP so still have days I go over but that is just me not planning ahead with my meals I know I am eating a more balanced diet than I was at the start of the year so am not worried about the odd over day.This week was better because I planned my meals for the week before going shopping.I have dropped a dress size,I want to lose a few more pounds before Christmas but if it does not happen I am in a very happy place:wink:
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I realized recently that this (weight loss) journey has been going on for nearly 1/3 of my life. I was 21 and 206 pounds and I managed to lose 50 -- and put 25 back on. I'm 30 now, and I think I have a better perspective and better understanding now and this is the last time I will be on a weight loss adventure. I have promised myself that and I am going to fulfill it.