I can't control cravings?!

Options
So I've dieted before but this is my first time being serious with it! I'm a week into my weight loss journey and I'm struggling already. I eat the average servings/meal . But for some reason afterwards I'm ALWAYS hungry afterwards and wanting junk food.mi never seem to feel full and it's driving me insane! I'm trying to change but my stomach just isn't agreeing with me! Help!!! I need any advice you can give about fighting cravings or reasons why I never seem to feel full. I'm so lost and frustrated. Thanks!

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Open your diary?
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    I wonder if talking to a professional dietician would help you find the combination of foods that make you feel full. The cravings for junk food can also be a kind of withdrawal, I encourage you to stay away from junk foods.

I do know for me stopping with eating bread changed how I felt and I wasn't so hungry all the time anymore. I also had a conversation with a dietician recently who told me that diets high in carbohydrates can make me feel more hungry because they give me a peak for a while but then I need more. Other foods will sustain me further. I'm not giving professional advice here just to be clear about that.

Hope you get some great advice here and find awesome solutions.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting. Change WHAT you eat. Stop listening to the "its only calories in and calories out" bs. WHAT one eats does matter. (hint: you are eating far too much sugar and probably far too little fat).
  • Startergirl101
    Options
    @misskittyninja
    Welcome! Your body is probably craving high Cal foods as that's what you use to eat. I would eat more protein to help stop the cravings. Also How many Cals are you eating, what's your height and weight and what kinds of food are you currently eating? With this info people should be able to find what is causing you to be soo hungry.

Hopefully we can help you as I know this is annoying >.< i came across the same thing when I started but after talking to my GP I had a better diet plan and a better understanding of how to reprogram myself =D. Also If you're looking for friends I have about the same to lose =D so feel free to add me.

I'm on a 1400 calorie a day diet. I'm 5'8 and 185 pounds. I've been eating lots of salads, fruits, and veggies. I've been including grilled chicken slices in my salads for a boost of protein! But thanks for your help and ill definitely send you a request :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I went through that too, just keep trying to do the right things, get enough protein and fats.

Try to keep your food balanced and hit your Protein, Fat goals. Let the Carbs fall in behind. Look at Protein and Fat as Minimum Goals to achieve every day.

Stay busy.

Sit down at your computer and start a blog/journal (something personal, just for you, Privately) to get out your emotions.
  • KimberlyLenz
    KimberlyLenz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to crave foods all the time. Now I don't. One of the keys was drinking a lot of water, especially if I started to get hungry. I drink eight to twelve glasses a day. Another thing God helped me with is retraining my tastebuds. Fresh fruits and veggies are great. They make you feel full and satisfied. Nuts help too.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ok, my usual cravings consist of going mad if I don't get chocolate or ice cream so I work them into my daily goal caloric intake, I hate depriving myself.

From what you say, seems you don't feel full. For me, making sure I have enough protein helps a lot. Also, I accompany my meals with lots of veggies who fill me up very much too.

Courage and good luck!
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Protein and good fats. That will help stop the nasty cravings.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Phase one of the South Beach plan got rid of my cravings.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    I once read somewhere that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise ;)
    I recommend some exercise every week! Yes, that means at least 30 minutes once a week.
    You're going to have to find your daily calorie intake based on your judgement and the advice you may find here.
    You will have to log in your calories as close to accurate as possible. Avoid underlogging as that will encourage you to overeat.
    You will need to train yourself to not reach for food every time you crave for it :'( This is probably the hardest part of weight loss because we tend to eat (not snack but actually eat) even when we're not hungry and that's a really bad habit.
    Good luck!
  • Comonemo
    Options
    Totally normal! I have spent the last ten years gaining 50, losing 60, gaining 70, losing 40... The times that I buckle down and grab my love handles by the horns, the first week or so is always the roughest~ especially if you are used to eating a lot of carbs and empty calories. Its all about retraining your body/cravings and it doesn't come over night.

One of the things I do when the cravings hit a) I realized its usually because I am bored/doing nothing, so I will drink (chug) a glass of water and give myself a 10-15 minute activity (i.e. dust the living room, organize my desk, vacuum, pull weeds, clean out my car, internet research)... sometimes I find that being "hungry" is just my body needing water or my mind being bored and most times the craving goes away....and the productivity is a plus!! Giving in can be a slippery slope, especially at the beginning, so stay strong and those uncontrollable cravings will soon just be resistible temptations ;)
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Try splitting your calories into 5 or 6 meals daily. I find when I get cravings for carby snack foods, it is because I am hungry! Frequent meals helped me a lot!!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If you've drastically cut your calories it's natural for your body to crave more. I'd recommend easing down by a couple of hundred calories a day each day or every few days until you reach the deficit you want to be on to lose. That way your body doesn't get the shock all in one go and you can cut portion size gradually.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Protein and good fats. That will help stop the nasty cravings.

That. Over and over again.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating nutritiously rich foods such as lean meats, fish, green veggies, sweet potatoes, nuts and legumes, beans, greek yogurt, low fat dairy. Avocados, kale, spinach, etc. Also cooking with olive oil or coconut oil is really good for your health. High protein breakfasts help to keep you full longer. If you aren't exercising at all I would add in at least 30 minutes of cardio 5x per week to start out and then generally increase it. You can add me and view my dairy its open to the public. If I can take a look at your diary I could give you more advice.
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    I used to be the same!

I was on 1200 originally but man it was rough, especially when I burn 700+ cals each time I go to the gym, and cycle to and from work each day.

I changed to 1400 for non- exercise days, 1600-1700 for exercise days, and allow myself a treat everyday (ie. I have a cookie or 2 each day at work, but I fit this into my macros).

I also have started focusing more on the protein. I feel much fuller if I have scrambled eggs with rice cakes for breakfast than a bowl of cereal. And almost the same calories! Porridge weirdly makes me feel hungry quite quickly (I have no idea why!!).

I will always try to get chicken for lunch. As much as possible. Whether that is with bread, couscous, salad etc. mainly depends on where I am going for lunch. If its a salad bar, I will pack in an egg there too.

Then for dinner I will have any type of meat, with chips or potatoes or rice etc.

Throughout the day, I constantly drink water too. It actually stemmed from working in a bike shop over the summer before my grad job. It was soooooooooo hot! I drank so much water. I guess now I am used to it aswell. I probably drink 3 litres or more a day, especially on exercise days.

I only changed my eating habits this summer. But by being full on other things ie water and protein, and allowing a cookie as a morning snack, I rarely get the munchies at night time anymore. Before it would be around 9/10 oclock and I am off to the shops to get chocolate! AND I ALWAYS had desert after every dinner. Not anymore :)

But protein seems to work for me.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein. And lots of water.
  • amusecruise
    Options
    It's super hard! I'm reading a book called the Beck Diet Solution. It teaches you how to train your brain to think better. One of the things it suggests is making cue cards that have on them all the reasons you want to lose weight, and other cue cards that give yourself positive encouragement. I know it sounds dumb, but I have a cue card with all 14 reasons I want to lose weight at home, in my backpack and in my purse. I also have little encouraging notes to myself. No matter where I am, if I crave something, I can pull them out and read it.
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    are you sure its your stomach that is hungry or your taste buds?
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    its not a diet but a lifestyle change, try drinking a whole glass of water with each meal and have planned snacks like apples or bananas or some peaches with cool whip free .. make sure you are getting enough water. The first few weeks are going to be adjustments periods and you have to keep trying new ways to make it work for you. Don't fight the cravings totally just have enough snacks planned ahead of time so you can have choices and feed that to whoever you cook for too.