A Timid Start and Hello

Options
This past year has represented The Perfect Storm for me. And the tale is in my weight. Just as I hit menopause, I researched balancing my hormones, but not in time before the weight crept up on me. Then while dealing with elderly parents issues, my own eldest son died young and quite unexpectedly. It sent me into the mother of all tailspins. In subsequent weeks, I went into insulin resistance, hormone imbalance, adrenal fatigue, rapid weight gain, psoriasis, depression, foggy-thinking, hot flashes, fainting spells...Well you get the picture.

Most of my life, I'd been a size 6-8, depending on the style or time of the month (wink). It's so hard seeing myself barely able to squeeze into a 16. To top it off, my husband has to eat, eat, eat to keep from losing weight. That's probably a common story, but no less a huge source of aggravation for me.

I took some months off (from life) to lick my wounds and basically stare into space with a blank expression. I've been to my doctor and my hormones are balanced, but the insulin resistance and adrenal fatigue is persistent.

I've educated myself on calories, BMI, BMR, deficits, etc. I've been going to the gym twice daily M-F and treamilling at a brisk 3.5 mph. Please don't beat up on me; that's as hard as I feel mentally able to push myself consistently for now.

I'm determined to get back down to "normal" size. I'm tired of wearing unflattering clothes (used to be a well-known clotheshorse, too). My remaining living son designed a workout and nutrition programme for me (he's a certified fitness trainer who lives in another state), that's mostly palatable, if tedious and slow going. I just want some encouragement from people who aren't sick of me being in mourning, and not my "used-to-be" energetic and enthusiastic self. There were the days...

Replies

• Fkika3131
    Fkika3131 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Your doing well so far. You and I have things in common, 1 is our weight 2. my ex husband also can eat and eat and not gain weight. Yes, he still lives in my home that is another whole story lol. It's good that your son can set up a goal for you to follow. I have regained myself and now I have started to write everything I eat. I eat about 40% healthy, and while at work since I am so busy I started to eat only half of my meals and the other half I bring for my doggies to eat their dinner. And I started to do some exercises. If you like to add me we can both motivate each other.
  • LadyAnglesey
    LadyAnglesey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Fkika3131. I tell you I need friends on this one. I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.
  • kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm not only a fair weather friend :) Good on you for making positive changes when circumstances are at there hardest.
  • jody2807
    jody2807 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me also I am only just trying to get back into fitness , better eating ect and need motivation also SO hopefully we can Motivate one another and at least you are on your way to the right track now you are HERE so thats a start .
  • LadyAnglesey
    Options
    kem05 and jody2807. Thank you both for your kind offers of friendship. I've sent the requests. You're all diamonds for making the effort and I appreciate you.
  • tannity
    tannity Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, too. I can relate to so many things you've said. It'd be nice to support, encourage, and motivate each other.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. Im 43 and on here ebery day, not a big talker on here but Ill listen. Feel free to add me and good luck.
  • CookiePussFatty
    Options
    I too lost a son. It has been 13 years and it hasn't gotten much easier, I've just learned to hide the pain better.
    One thing that I think has helped, however, is exercise and dieting. When I feel good and look good, my emotions and brain are in a better place. Keep walking. My mantra is, "Slow walking is faster than sitting on the couch."

You owe it to yourself to take care of yourself. You owe it to your children no matter how old they are. You will have good days and bad days but a happy healthy life is worth fighting for. Your son who is no longer here would want to know his mom is strong and healthy.

You CAN do this. I am inspired by your strength and commitment to not wallow in your grief but instead to achieve your goals.
    You've renewed my commitment to a healthy life. Good luck!
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'd be pleased to be added to your friend's list.

I'm here to lose a lot of weight and make permanent changes for my health. I log every day and enjoy
    encouraging others.
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :0)
  • joymechelle99
    joymechelle99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also have had a rough year gained 45 lbs and am determined to get healthy again. Please add me as a friend. I need all the help I can get :)
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the hormone/female problems. Can only imagine how horrible it is to lose a child. You have my greatest sympathies. I too have a husband that eats what he wants, stopped drinking soda, lost 20 lbs, no exercise. Women just have it tougher. So happy you have a son that can help you. No one should beat you up for walking. My first day I walked 30 min slowly and wanted to call it quits. But, I didn't. You can do this. Takes planning, perseverance and patience, but it can be done. Happy to help you if I can.
  • LadyAnglesey
    Options
    Thank you all. And to all those who sent friendship invites (I accepted them all hungrily). I need all the support I can get. My head is bloodied, but unbowed.
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    Hello Lady Anglesey! I would be delighted to be your friend. I am sorry to hear about your son. I have found lots of encouragement and positive reinforcement here at MFP. I am a survivor, I know what it is like to wake up and think - NOPE!
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I'm on here every day, so feel free to add me if you'd like. All the best to you!