I have reached my first plauteu.

Options
Over the past month, I have lost 16 lbs. and now the weightloss has come to a stop. I have not lost any more weight all week. So now I got to break thru this plauteu. What will it take? Eating even less, exercising more?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    No binge episodes, right?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Sixteen pounds in one month is amazing.

One week, however is not a plateau. About a month of no loss is. I had a plateau of 3 months before I lost again. Sometimes you just have to wait out your body.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    1 week is ***NOT*** a plateau.

Weight loss is not linear. Just have patience and keep doing what you are doing, because by losing 16 pounds, you are doing something right.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A plateau is generally defined as 4-6 weeks without a loss. One week without a loss is well within the usual fluctuations you'll see while losing weight. It could be something as simple as a little extra water weight. Your diary is closed and you don't give any details about what you're doing, so my advice would be to wait and see if the trend continues.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    1 week is ***NOT*** a plateau.

Weight loss is not linear. Just have patience and keep doing what you are doing, because by losing 16 pounds, you are doing something right.

+1
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    as others have said one week is not a plauteu, get a tape measure as not all fat loss = weight loss. Re check your numbers and make sure you are honest with your logging both exercise and food.

Read this and learn how this all works and a little about nutrition some terms on here that you will see a lot of.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    16lb in a month is not a plateau, that is called weight loss.

Congratulations, you are doing very well.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    (Tried to link an img in but it was too big, so . . . I'll just edit in the expectations thing I located:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations )

So, like they said, 16 lbs in one month, wow! Obviously, you're doing it right.

IMO, you're fine, relax. ^_^ Read the expectations post, it's helpful.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm on like week 8 of my plateau. Just keep on keepin on - I'm doing the right things but trying to confuse my body. Can't stop now...
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau last summer, or so I thought. But that was for several weeks. What had actually started happening was simple, I was lifting weights & trading body fat for lean muscle mass. Yes please, give me more of that calorie torching metabolism boosting sexy muscle! One week is normal, it could be anything from water weight from hormonal fluctuations to trading this for that. Stick with it. Many people lose a lot at first because it's water weight, keep tweaking your diet & change up your routine every few weeks. Once the body gets used to the workout it doesn't challenge you as much & you don't burn as many calories :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I think with a lot of people, after that first month or so, the body goes "wait, wut? what the hell are you doing to me?" and kinda thinks about it for a wee bit before continuing to lose, LOL!

I lost 10 lbs my first month. Nothing my second month. Then started losing pretty consistently.

1 week is not a plateau, it's just a blip. Don't give up!
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My weight goes down in bumps - call it water weight, natural fluctuations or what have you. After the first 2 kg loss I "plateaued" for 3 weeks, but then one day I dropped by over 1kg and never went back up. It was therefore not a plateau, since the weight loss was still as expected (half a kilo a week).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Over the past month, I have lost 16 lbs. and now the weightloss has come to a stop. I have not lost any more weight all week. So now I got to break thru this plauteu. What will it take? Eating even less, exercising more?
    So it's been a week? If so, it's not a plateau. That would be 6 weeks or more of consistent deficit and exercise with no change in weight.
    Your body is now catching up and leveling off which is normal since calorie deficit isn't what the body looks to achieve (storage is it's preference). Just continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    +1 for the "it isn't a plateau". It's a breather. A blip. A pause. A rest. It is NOT a plateau.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    Weight comes off at different speeds. The same happened to me a few times. Some weeks I would lose nothing and suddenly drop 3-4 lbs the following week after :) Don't worry about it too much because the same thing happened to me after a month. I was impressed by my weight loss and then suddenly it slowed down. Just keep patience in your heart and keep going because even though the scale isn't dropping, you're still becoming more healthy. Good luck!