Macros?

Options
The IIFYM calculator gave me some numbers for my macros, but after about a week of trying to follow the numbers, it seems a little unrealistic. It gave me 129 carbs, 120 protein and 48 fat. I'm not trying to build a ton of muscle, I'm just trying to tone up and eat healthier. The protein and carbs give me the hardest time not surprisingly as I'm going over on carbs and am way under on protein. I'm certainly trying, but I like fruit too much and haven't figured out the easiest way to get in all my protein. With my meals planned for tomorrow, I'm at 86 grams which is probably the highest I've made it to so far.

So I feel like these macros are unrealistic for my lifestyle and goals. I've looked at others' who I know have set their own outside of MFP (who are similar in stature to me) and their goals look more realistic to me but I have no idea how they came up with that! Can anyone give me any help or advice?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I go a little heavier than some on carbs since I'm a runner, but I still like to get in 1g protein per pound of LBM daily... which is 120g protein for me. I believe the IIFYM calculator gives you 1g per pound of body weight.

You can set fat to anywhere between 20-30%, protein to whatever % brings you close to 1g per pound of lean body mass (you need to know your BF% for this) and leave the rest as carbs.

You can also try with a 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat split, which is fairly generic. Plenty of protein during weight loss with extra room for carbs. If you can weight train too, that would be advantageous.

At first I used to struggle to get 100g protein. Now I can pound out 160g or more easily. I eat eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, cheese strings, tuna, chicken, steak, ham, protein bars and whey powder as needed to supplement.
  • kntxx
    kntxx Posts: 29
    Options
    The macros that the IIFYM website recommends is specific for bodybuilders. However, their recommended calorie consumption per day, for weight loss or for maintenance, seems reasonable since it was calculated using one's basal metabolic rate (BMR) and total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) if I'm not mistaken. I used that website just to figure out what calorie consumption per day should be or should be close to. For my macros, I am doing 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat. I thought that I should split that way since I run a lot and I need the carbohydrates for when I run. It's probably not the optimum macro for a runner, but so far, it's working for me.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    The macros that the IIFYM website recommends is specific for bodybuilders. However, their recommended calorie consumption per day, for weight loss or for maintenance, seems reasonable since it was calculated using one's basal metabolic rate (BMR) and total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) if I'm not mistaken. I used that website just to figure out what calorie consumption per day should be or should be close to. For my macros, I am doing 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat. I thought that I should split that way since I run a lot and I need the carbohydrates for when I run. It's probably not the optimum macro for a runner, but so far, it's working for me.

I actually think 50-25-25 works really well for a runner. :drinker:
  • julianadelbosque
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I set it at 40-30-30, so I'll try it out for a week or so and see how well I can adjust!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
  • julianadelbosque
    Options
    I did read it!
  • julianadelbosque
    Options
    Totals 1,366 151 45 104
    Your Daily Goal 1,380 138 46 104
    Remaining 14 -13 1 0
    Calorie Carbs Fat Protein

Woo! This is the closest I've ever gotten, and my meals planned for tomorrow are close to the numbers as well (except under on carbs). This is a great ratio for me for now. I'm making an effort to up my protein, but it doesn't seem unmanageable, and I'm consequently cutting my carbs at the same time without really noticing!

Edit: I formatted the numbers in my post but I guess that didn't work...sorry!