Bikini Wax?

Options
rainbowbow
rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
Has anyone ever gotten one? Is it awkward? Does it hurt? Any advantages over shaving?

Share your experience!

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes. Yes... and some.

Advantages: Lasts longer. Grows in softer and sparser.
    Disadvantages: You have to grow it in for 3 weeks or so to make it long enough to do it again... that is awkward.

Going to get waxed should be like going for a vaginal exam. The people doing it are pros so no need to feel any more awkward. They'll guide you through the process.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's not awkward if you do it yourself, and yes it hurts :-)
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Dont know.... but I enjoy the results and encourage it for the ladies
    >:)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It's not awkward if you do it yourself, and yes it hurts :-)

I cant even wax my legs... i don't want to put wax in that area by myself... i would fail for sure.

I see so many waxing places popping up all over the place with decent pricing and i've always been CURIOUS but too afraid to even consider it.

I heard they use a different wax or do some kind of "sugaring".
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't find it that painful, underarms hurt more IMO. I don't really find it that awkward either, it's what they do all day long so it's nothing to blush about! :smile:
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    This thread deserves a chance to live.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I would think once you are pretty enough to worry about waxing you wouldn't have to worry about being naked.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I was considering this.
    My friend warned me that I would probably want to go commando and wear some loose fitted clothes. She assured me that it wasn't that painful though.
    I chickened out, and just decided to shave! Haha!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i support you.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Awkward? Meh. That's what they do. If you tell them it is your first they will be really nice to you and really explain what will happen.

Worth it? Depends on why you want one, IMO. Ain't no man worth that, but you totally are.

If bald is your cup of tea, I think they are totally worth it over shaving because of razor burn/in growns. I did them when I was young, wild and free -- and it made me feel confident and sexy. I don't now. I got old and either just care less or gained confidence with my junk as I aged - so I didn't feel the need anymore. But have friends that swear by them.

ETA: Hurt? Ha. Yes. Take an Advil before you go. The intense pain though only lasts for a second or two after they pull. But you might have some swelling and tenderness.
  • brittknight828
    Options
    Has anyone ever gotten one? Is it awkward? Does it hurt? Any advantages over shaving?

Share your experience!

Yes-- in summer I get them regularly (every 4 weeks). Awkward-- nope, not for me at all. (But then again, I'm very comfortable in my skin.) I've gone to a few different places, but I've been going to the same place/same esthetician this summer. Like the others have been saying, this is their job, so it's nothing to be embarrassed about. They have seen it all. Most of them will talk to you, so it helps to relax you and make the time go by faster.

Sure, it sort of hurts. But it hurts less and less each time you go; also hurts less if your hair is shorter/thinner. Luckily, the pain itself is pretty quick-- like a bandaid being ripped off. The more experienced esthetician usually does it better, quicker, and with less pain but you'll also pay more for her experience.

I'd say the advantage is that your hair grows in thinner, and you have less irritation. And no razor bumps!

There are several types of waxes you can get for your bikini area. The bikini wax is really just the area outside of your undies (front only), so that would be the least amount of area waxed, or the least painful you could say. If that doesn't bother you, then you can gradually work your way up to French bikini, brazilian, etc.

Oh, and don't get waxed for the first time right before you want to...ahem...show off your area, just in case you have a reaction. I have sensitive skin, and haven't had any major problems with that. Hope this helps! I know I wrote a lot, but I wanted to cover the basics. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck & just relax if/when you do it. :)
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to get a Brazilian, but every time I've waxed anything I've gotten a terrible breakout. I'd rather spare myself breaking out on my crotch but hey, that's just me.
  • emmawoolf84
    emmawoolf84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If its Wax Vs. Shaving - Wax wins, every time.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Worth it? Depends on why you want one, IMO. Ain't no man worth that, but you totally are.
    yup
    If bald is your cup of tea, I think they are totally worth it over shaving because of razor burn/in growns.

ingrowns still possible with waxing. this is the way to go:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDxFdVuUT-BRXjGJyjea-xB22eoOEmZkwDjVy3TUjmucQ_9mqVKQ

(or trim)
  • CheekyBrahette
    CheekyBrahette Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Brazilian wax all the way! The first time was the worst, but after that it's not so bad. It wasn't awkward for me at all and the girl I go to is very professional. It's much better than shaving IMO.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I do it myself. Pretty good at it, too.

I trusted someone to wax my mustache (faint one, lol) at a salon and that ***** hurt me! Had bumps on my upper lip! From now on it's just me waxing myself!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Share your experience!

Yes.

A bit.

Yes.

Once ever 6 weeks vs every 3 days. Silky smooth in the right areas.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Did waxing for awhile, wasnt bad but laser hair removal is way better :)
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yes, a little and leg waxing hurts a helluva lot worse!! Actually not that bad, I agree with the laser comment!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Would never go back to shaving.......