Cooking with Whey/Protein Powders

Options
So Yesterday My friend posted a picture on Instagram of 2 ingredient Banana "pancakes" with 2 eggs and one Banana...Here i am thinking I'm being helpful in saying " You should try one egg and add a scoop of protein they come out way more pancakey"

I got grilled one how you shouldn't heat Protein powders and that the a basically void if you do...What the? I have never heard of this and have seen heeeeaps of recipes using powders for added protein.

Whats the deal? anyone else heard of this.

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Mens Health gives several protein powder recipes, including banana pancakes.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/cook-protein-powder
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So Yesterday My friend posted a picture on Instagram of 2 ingredient Banana "pancakes" with 2 eggs and one Banana...Here i am thinking I'm being helpful in saying " You should try one egg and add a scoop of protein they come out way more pancakey"

I got grilled one how you shouldn't heat Protein powders and that the a basically void if you do...What the? I have never heard of this and have seen heeeeaps of recipes using powders for added protein.

My protein powder has recipes on it's website, so I certainly hope heat doesn't ruin the protein.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Mens Health gives several protein powder recipes, including banana pancakes.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/cook-protein-powder

Some of them actually look amazing! I love using it in baking Instead of flour (gluten free) too

She is also the type of person that thinks she is right a lot of the time, She tried to get me to buy some cleanse thing from her "trainer" as eating well as exercising wasn't enough apparently.:ohwell:

So werid, maybe i should stop believe anything she says
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options

My protein powder has recipes on it's website, so I certainly hope heat doesn't ruin the protein.

Yeah surely they wouldn't give you recipes if you weren't meant to use it like that!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I have heard that vaguely as well, though never from any confirmed scientific sources. But one time I posted a recipe for a protein mug cake on here and a couple people did say that heating up the protein (in the microwave as the recipe called for) basically rendered it useless. Again, I don't know if this is actually true. I make the mug cake all the time anyway :happy:
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    I have heard that vaguely as well, though never from any confirmed scientific sources. But one time I posted a recipe for a protein mug cake on here and a couple people did say that heating up the protein (in the microwave as the recipe called for) basically rendered it useless. Again, I don't know if this is actually true. I make the mug cake all the time anyway :happy:

hmmm interesting! I had never heard it until now might have to do some further googling.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It doesn't ruin the protein. It may become denatured, meaning it breaks down into the amino acids...but you are still getting all the same amino acids that you would if weren't denatured, and your body would break apart the proteins into aminos anyway.

I had heard the same myth as well, and after researching the topic, discovered that the myth just arose from people not understanding what's really going on. They hear that the protein is "denatured" and freak out.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Never heard of that, there are protein powder recipes all over the internet created by professionals. I wouldn't worry about it :)