Am I doomed to struggle with my weight forever?

Options
I wish I'd never read it.......... "When you gain weight, your fat cells first increase in size then in number. Once they begin to increase in number, it becomes harder to lose and maintain a lower weight".

Its a bad excuse. I haven't even seen any solid proof that its more than just a theory. But sometimes when the weight isn't coming off as fast as I expect, it creeps into my mind and I begin to wonder if its true, and even if I meet my goal, will I have to be miserably strict with my diet to maintain it?

I used to be 140 lbs at 5'8". 26 inch waist. I felt healthy. I felt decently attractive. 2 years of binge/emotional eating and I'm 50 lbs heavier, borderline obese, stretch marks on what used to be healthy looking skin, worse asthma, struggling on and off with self loathing and hopelessness...

Sometimes I wonder if I ruined my body forever. I feel cheated... I feel like I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

Overall I know this is just a load of bulls*** excuses combined with vanity. I've saved pictures of people like you guys, who've lost hundreds of pounds and some even have their ultimate goal physics, and it encourages me and reminds me that I have NO excuse.

Is this something that anyone else struggles with? Anyone who's had success with maintaining their weight loss?

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    quite a few people have success maintaining. Don't worry too much about the addition of fat cells. While it's technically true that the cells increase in number at a certain point, the part about them making it harder to lose and maintain is not necessarily true. the number of fat cells in one's body does not dictate much of anything, other than *ability* to store energy. The fact is that many people who become obese enough to grow those additional cells also have willpower and discipline problems. For *those* reasons, the same people have trouble losing and maintaining.

I think I've read the same study you got that from. When reading it, their "evidence" seemed primarily circumstantial and anecdotal to me. I've seen an equal amount of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence right here on these message boards, pointing to an opposite conclusion. What I know for sure is that formerly obese people categorically have the psychological issues that cause weight struggles. Those issues aren't easily shaken. I count myself in that number, and while I know it won't be easy to permanently change my lifestyle to a healthier one... that's my goal.

Good luck :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Mostly I keep my weight under control for health reasons, but I must admit that vanity is at play as well. I read your description of how your body has changed and how disappointed you are and I have to say that the fear of those things is partly what has motivated me to stay in shape through the years. I don't want to have to look back and think: what have I done to myself?

However, you shouldn't beat yourself up too much. Obviously, you've been through a few rough years, but it's up to you to change course. Most of the damage you've done can be undone. And if you have to work a little harder to get there, it's totally worth it. Even if the theory is true, I don't think that you're to the level that you would have added extra fat cells yet. You probably just need to shrink the ones you have.

Don't give up and don't strive for perfection - that's a losing battle. This sounds a little cheesy, but just try to be the best version of you that you can be. :flowerforyou:
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If that is you in your profile pictures, you look gorgeous!

I feel I have ruined my body by being obese not 1 time but 2 times.

I do have great genetics though. Whatever is sagging and bagging at the end, I will get it fixed surgically.

Until then, I'm not going to worry about the past because you can't change it.

And no, you can't ever go back to eating like you did or you'll gain the weight back.

I have gotten it in my head now I really can't just eat anything I want as much as I want and be thin.

I wouldn't really call it a struggle but just leaning to eat normally.

I also consider myself a thin person who happened to get fat. I don't see myself as a fat person.
  • kalebsmummy12
    Options
    You look amazing in your pictures your mad! im only 17 214 pounds and unhappy i used to be slim now im just FAT+the baby weight your title is in my head to maybe we can help eachother!ox
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    So not doomed. You're young enough to learn from some old timers who have been where you are. You just have to start again and keep going until you lost that 50 pounds. Any age is a good age to learn and start again actually but yes you are in the right place. Thinking out loud, and maybe wondering how you got to add so much weight? It's not even *that* much if you think about it. Around 25 kg's. So maybe write out some short term goals and go from there? Like lose 10 pounds first and then worry about the next goal when you get to it?

It's easier to lose weight when you are younger too. It might be good to write a VERY long list of why and how it would be quite easy for you to lose the weight. All the best to you.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are doomed to struggle with your weight forever. So is most anyone on this website. Sorry about that.

Now the good news. You are not morbidly obese and have the good sense to care about your health and appearance to post this solicitation for support. I went to an NFL football game a couple weeks back and as I looked at the people around me I noticed how most of them were obese, many morbidly so. As they carried their chili cheese nachos to their seats I couldn't help but feel a bit disgusted and a bit pleased with myself for taking steps not to continue down gluttony road. Self-control is a virtue and in our society where you get bombarded by food advertising 24 x 7, it is even more noble to control your weight. All you have to do is stay on the wagon and do your best each day. When idle, exercise. When hungry, eat something a little more healthy in a little smaller portion. Your fat cells are not keeping you fat--your brain is.