Water Consumption???

Options
Just a quick question if anyone can help????

On this site it says you should drink 8 cups of water daily, I measure water by ml, does anyone know how many ml's are in a cup of water as a lot of cups are different sizes.

Replies

• EffortOverTime
    EffortOverTime Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Research has been done and done again, most studies show the recommended intake of water ranges from 800ml to 3000ml per day, more if exercising.

A metric cup is 250ml so by that count and that recommendation you want to drink a minimum of 8 cups (2000ml) per day, more if exercising.

Furthermore, most disposable cups (think water fountain) are around 175ml so that's closer to 12 cups per day!

Here's a tip, your pee should be as close to clear as possible, if not, drink more water, happy logging :D
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A measure cup is 8oz or 250 ml.

(I realize that measuring cups aren used everywhere)
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    a measuring cup contains 250ml (in the UK and Australia and I think in the US as well) just so you know ... its also handy to know if you want to start baking in future :-)

however if you work out and sweat a lot you might need more then 8 cups a day
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Dont let 8 cups be your limit either. I'll drink 3-4 litres in a day especially when its warm. Water has a lot of functions in the body and if you're training you really need it for recovery and what not.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    250ml just measure out that amount per glass
  • lbryant79
    Options
    Most helpfull everyone, thank you
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options

On this site it says you should drink 8 cups of water daily, I measure water by ml, does anyone know how many ml's are in a cup of water as a lot of cups are different sizes.

How long is a piece of string?

Get measuring cups if you want to measure by ml. Or what makes measuring easier is getting a 2L bottle and drinking that every day.

Also, don't trust just what this site says. Google things. There's some false info on here so do your own research.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is no set limit for water. Drink to make yourself hydrated. Some that's 32oz, some thats 100+ oz. As long as you are hydrated, then it won't effect performance. And other stuff, such as tea does count for water. Personally, I drink about 96-120oz of water, then I drink a few other things too...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

How long is a piece of string?

Get measuring cups if you want to measure by ml. Or what makes measuring easier is getting a 2L bottle and drinking that every day.

Also, don't trust just what this site says. Google things. There's some false info on here so do your own research.

What?
    MFP refers to a measured cup. This is an international site and not evey country uses "cups" so it is likely Op didn't know the conversion.

How long is a piece of string? A cup is 250 ml which is what the OP was asking, not some vague question.