Isn't 1200 calories too much for a 5ft tall woman?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How long are you giving 1200 calories to work before you get frustrated and cut your calories?
  • Hclark2010
    Options
    I'm 5'1, I eat 1200 calories a day. My diet is very high in fats, protein, and veggies, so i never feel hungry. I weigh 106 right now, and am trying to get down to 98 before I start lifting weights and trying to gain more muscle. Every person is different, eat the amount of calories you need to to feel good and lose weight. Don't worry about what other people tell you.
  • goalaska
    Options
    Wow I was not expecting so many replies, thanks to everyone for contributing I really appreciate you taking the time :)

I've just opened up my diary for anyone who would like to take a look, you'll notice I've only officially logged for the last several days, but that's really how I eat everyday but with slightly different ingredients for variation. I found that I was getting a bit obsessed with logging and it detracted from the healthy and balanced body and mind I was working towards, so now i periodically log in a few days just to make sure my cals are on track. I have not attempted an increase over 1250 in about 6 months, I always feel silly afterwards because I gain about 2 kg (about 4 pounds) If I go up to 1500. I do eat a bit more fruits and veggies, but I seriously dont see the point of logging lettuce or cucumbers, I'm tired of counting altogether actually bc i eat roughly tthe same ingredients in different variations and styles, So logging over and over is boring and really takes away from 'eating for life' I hope that makes sense. I've been logging on/off for over a year now.

I've rotated different diets which excluded common 'offenders' such as no carb, low carb, dairy free and wheat free. I have cut out my 120 cal soy capp no sugar in the last 2 weeks hoping to reduce empty cals in my diet: I don't add sugar to anything, I also don't have periodic 'binges' like some other low cal ppl which might cause your body to grab everything as fat. I've recently added a teaspoon of polybac 8 probiotics, with 8 strains and 45 billion organisms per serve in case I had some sort of gut imbalance preventing weight loss. I do feel less bloated but otherwise I feel the same so far.

Thank you for suggesting the health-calc website, it said my bmr is 1380 and tdee (at completely sedentary) at 2000 cals which is a mind boggling amount for me to eat every day lol.

I dont believe my current weight is the healthiest I can be, im not saying that out of vanity I really want to carry less fat and be leaner. I've done stints at the gym for several months at a time, HIIT, weight training etc but without seeing any results beside being a bit leaner and heaps fitter, I seriously get over it as my measurements stay the same. I don't think I'm so special as to defy the laws of physics! But this is truly what I do for weight loss and nothing is working anymore and I still have 10kg (22pounds) to go! How can a body with so much to lose refuse to let go of weight at 1200 cals?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    - If you aren't logging every day, and logging everything that goes in your mouth, and weighing those things with a food scale, you really can't be sure that you're actually eating only 1200

- if you are genuinely eating only 1200, you aren't eating enough. You are too young to need to eat that low.

- if you are to increase your calories, it's best to do it slowly. Add 100 extra. Eat at that rate for at least a week, then increase again, and repeat. Realize that you will likely gain a little, but it will also likely disappear once your body gets used to the extra food.

- if you've been eating that low for a long time, it's worth reading up on doing a metabolic reset (basically, how to best get your body used to eating more calories)

ETA - I just took a look at your diary, and see days where you eat under 900. You do realize, my very skinny 8 year old eats more than that, right? If your diary is accurate, and that's how you normally eat, your body isn't going to be in any hurry to let you lose - it doesn't know when it will get more food.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Just posting so I Can come back to this. I am anxious to hear other people's answers.

tumblr_inline_mraamfXzxJ1qz4rgp.gif
  • svesemenja
    svesemenja Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    so i am approximately same as you. I am also around 5 feet, 159 cm and my starting weight is 62 kg and goal is 50 kg, which is in the range of healthy BMI.
    I started with 1200 cal, and at first i couldnt reach it. few weeks after i lost very little around 0.5 kg =1 pound. then i changed to TDEE-20%. now i eat 1500 cal, feeling so much happier and on top of that i am still losing. i measured myself last week and i lost around 10 cm in total for week and half of upping of my cal. i am managing to get to my goal cal mainly because of the snacks. i snack something usually after every meal. i go over my carbs and sugar almost everyday because i eat lot of fruits and veggies but on total i am in minus cal.
    and dont eat bellow your bmr!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My goodness, I just looked at your diary. You are not eating much at all. Have you ever been diagnosed with an ED?
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This health calculator puts it at 1336: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I'm 5'2" and 103lbs. I only have one pound left to lose, but am fine if I lose more down to 98. I'm most comfortable at 100 exactly, but 98-102 is my comfort zone. I've been eating between 1200-1400 calories regularly most days. Some days, with higher exercise or when I was on vacation, it was as much as 2,000 or more....mostly cause of alcohol though on vacation.

At maintenance I plan to eat at around 1500 except on heavy exercise days when I will eat more.

If you want to friend me to see my diary, feel free. I've logged very accurately for the last 2.5 months. But I do tend to eat a vegetarian diet a lot of days.
  • raggle89
    Options
    You are not eating enough, therefore your body will not lose weight as its holding on to everything your giving it! Please eat more! You need to eat enough in order to lose weight.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    So, you don't regularly log. When you do log, you don't count vegetables (which still have calories, btw), and you continually starve yourself, up your calories and freak out when you gain 4lb, the go back to starving yourself. A 4lb weight gain is nothing and perfectly normal if you have been under-eating for a while. You need to give it more time.

Put it this way; why would your body burn fat when you continually underfeed and confuse it? It's sole objective is to live. Give it what it needs and it will do what you want it to do.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You didn't answer my question. How long do you stay at higher calories before you freak out and cut them again? It takes a month, at least, for your body to adjust. And really, especially for women, you have to stick with any kind of change for a month because water weight fluctuations can cause your weight to shift several pounds per day. It can be hard to tell what's going on exactly.
  • rtjenny
    Options
    I'm 5' 1" and approx 103 lbs - I try to maintain most days on 1300 kcal but its probably give or take 20%. I do approx 45 mins of cardio and aim for a MHR of approx 165-170 so I know I'm getting the most of my cardio. I do some resistance training, approx 15 mins for 4 days a week - I do realise that's not a lot so I am planning on increasing that.

Most of my calories comes from fruit but I'm fine with that since I don't go crazy. I know its hard to keep checking the scales and wondering when the weight will start decreasing (or increasing for some folk). It took me 2 years to lose 30 lbs - In the grand scale of things for most folk that seems like an eternity - but I believed that a slow pace works for me. Now I am trying to maintain my weight. However if I do jump on the scale and see 47 kg I get a bit upset - but shrug it off and think - my clothes still fit fine and I am healthy.

One of my main aims was getting healthier as I have pretty bad asthma - now its so much better and I am a lot less cranky that I am not wheezing by the time I climb 1 flight of stairs.

My point is, take it slow, get some advice from a doctor about your concerns.....good luck..
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Most of my calories comes from fruit ...

What does that mean? Are you a fruititarian?
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 and weigh 100 lbs. My TDEE is 1700 (net is 1450 according to MFP, so with my exercise figured in I arrive in the same place). I have been maintaining for the past couple of months at this calorie intake.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am 5', 117 pounds and have successfully lost 25 pounds eating at least 1400 calories, mostly up near 1700.
  • rtjenny
    Options

Most of my calories comes from fruit ...

What does that mean? Are you a fruititarian?

It just means that I eat fruits like bananas and apples which contains a lot of calories - so if we calculate the percentage of kcal from my fruits to my overall intake its >50%.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    No, I highly doubt it. Depends on how much exercise you do and what you do day-to-day. But they say you need 1200per person on average to only get your basics done daily like breathing etc. anything more you need to eat more to support your body.
  • munchkin0518
    Options
    bump
  • Louisedowner
    Louisedowner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think any adult surviving on 1200 calories a day is starving their body, especially as they exercise also.
    After learning about nutrition and being a PT, a lot of weight you are losing is muscle and not fat.
    Would you fill a car up with 3/4 the amount of petrol when it needs a full tank to get to where its going?
    It's more about eating well and your body will utilise so much better and you will still lose weight!
    I know this is not what a lot of people on here will agree with but I'm personally more about the health and burning the right things (i.w. body fat) then what the scales say.
    Good luck!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The MINIMUM amount of calories ANY woman, regardless of height/weight/age is 1200 calories. So no, 1200 calories for a 5ft woman is not too much. IMO, it's REALLY hard to be happy on 1200 calories. I couldn't do it and I'm 5'2. I eat 1500 + exercise calories. I feel soooooooo much happier and healthier, and I lose weight to boot.

If you continue eating below 1200 there's all sorts of problems you're running the risk of getting. You become malnourished, sickly and weak. Your skin becomes gross and your hair begins to fall out. Not to mention that is slows your metabolism. And once your metabolism is slowed and you start eating normal again, guess what happens.... you start gaining weight because your digestive system can no longer handle the higher food intake.

IMO, eat more caloric dense foods like peanut butter, nuts, eggs, yogurt etc to boost up those calories. Give your body the fuel it needs. You're not doing your body any favors by eating so low.