Cinema Treats! What do I eat....??

Options
Ok, so I am going out on a 'Date Night' with my boyfriend tomorrow night, I have already found a brilliant restaurant for healthy eating...A small Turkish place that serves lots of grilled, lean meats with lots of fresh salads and rice etc...HOWEVER, we are going to the cinema afterwards, and even though I will have had dinner earlier, I'd like to be able to have a small treat while watching the film....

Does anyone have suggestions please...? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ktyang04
    Options
    Get popcorn without butter, taste as good way fewer calories. To drink, have a diet pop.
  • vauleese
    Options
    Small popcorn or (and I know this is a HUGE no no) you could sneak in a snack size candy bar or two to snack on during the movie.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    liqourice (sp?) is not too bad if you share it...
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you've got the calories, spring for a container of dibbs to share (http://dibs.dreyers.com/). Popcorn, no extra butter isn't awful either if you get a small/medium & share it.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    oh ya , I sometimes bring my own diet pop and snacks (cause movies are expensive) so you could go to bulk barn and get some ofthe lower cal treats like nibs, or a few little things.. just plan for it with your calories
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Careful if you do get movie popcorn. Be very aware of the calories you are consuming. Even without butter, movie popcorn specifically is cooked in coconut oil a lot of the time. I researched this a while back and was shocked! An entire tub, which, granted is huge, contains over 1200 calories and about 2-3 days worth of saturated fat... all this w/out butter! Do your research.

I like chocolate covered dried fruit for the movies. :)
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Bbygrl5 is on to something there...tons of fat... Nasty stuff.

Go with dark chocolate covered dried fruits for something sweet and decadent. (Just will have to sneak them in) Shhh...we weon't tell on you! But watch the dried fruits, too, they are small but can add up the calories, too, but have some nutritional value.
  • ambercole
    Options
    bring a big purse and sneak in your own!
  • BellaCoconut
    Options
    .....crunchy but healthy choices- seedless green grapes, small bag baked pretzels (can be a bit high on the sodium tho), air popped popcorn, diet soda :drinker:
  • hsquared87
    Options
    My trick is to buy the child's snack pack it comes with a smaller popcorn without butter that is about 4 to 5 cups of popcorn and a small diet soda. Most snack packs come with a small fruit snack too.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    buy red vines! they aren't too bad and better than the popcorn. or buy some hard candy or eat gum.
  • Tala1973
    Tala1973 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sneak in some trail mix. It will last the whole show if you eat each piece separately. Have fun.
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    100% take 2 or 3 Chupa Chup lollys with you. They last for ages if you just don't bite them and are (I think) only about 50 calories each!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Either sneak your own snack in :), or go for twizzlers, swedish fish, sour patch kids, etc. All those gummy-like candies aren't necessarily low cal, but they are low fat! If you want, just eat light the rest of the day so you can enjoy a not-so-diet-friendly snack at the movies.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bring a big purse and sneak in your own!
    I've done this! I also sometimes bring one of those small 70% cocoa chocolate bars. Oh! and sometimes we sneak in a small flask filled with vodka or rum to mix into our diet cokes. :drinker: Makes a bad movie muuuch more enjoyable.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have planned in advance for a small bag of popcorn - no butter. If you think that will be too many calories for you, I recommend taking some 94% Fat Free Orville Redenbacher's Kettle Corn. That stuff is addicting, but not a diet killer in moderation.
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    once i was really good and snuck in some flavoured water and a bunch of colourful fruit (cherries and berries). i heard the lightest indulgence you can buy from there are gummies. i would personally sneak in a small pack of gummies and a drink (have personally done this).
  • gardenlili
    gardenlili Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since it is a date, I agree with the idea of bringing something low cal in your purse. A Special K Granola bar is 90 calories, for example. However, my husband and I stopped eating in movie theaters and once you get into the movie, you don't even think about food. Probably, not a great plan for a date but eating at the theater is very high calorie. It is really best to give it up if you can.
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OK, it's not the end of the world to have a treat here and there. Have a small box of candy if you want, just make sure you're not going over your calories to do it. Since you're planning in advance, work out at the gym a little harder. I have junior mints every time I go to a movie and it hasn't affected my weight loss. Just don't make it a normal habit. :)
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Definitely save yourself the money and calories and sneak in your own. Make up some trail mix using unsalted nuts and dried fruit. I like the idea another poster mentioned about the 70% cacao chocolate.