Nike FuelBand - anyone?

Options
mmreed
mmreed Posts: 436 Member
I was using the fitbit, but since then its been lost due to how it needs to be worn. :-(

In looking at the options available now, I see Nike has something new out:

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?cp=USNS_AD_122011INV&l=shop,fuel_band

anyone using the Nike FuelBand? Id love to hear real reviews and not marketing hype from Nike.

Replies

• dia9004
    dia9004 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yes, i just got it has a gift this weekend, it's cool and its like playing a game and you want to win the challange.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike+ Sportband. Love it for my outdoor runs. It tracks pace-miles-cals burned. If you don't have Nike+ shoes you can by a Velcro pouch that straps to your shoe laces for the chip.
  • eodtech89d
    eodtech89d Posts: 32
    Options
    I was actually just reading an article today about it, I was thinking about picking one up but also read some reviews that said it was an ok product. Any experience people have with it your input would be appreciated
  • mmreed
    Options
    i liked my fitbit, but it was limited in some cases - more geared towards walking and gettign steps in - nike fuelband seems to take in more activity levels and wider scope.

Would love to hear from folks using it.
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have both the FitBit and the Nike+ fuelband. When wearing both the Nike band will be about 1000 steps ahead of what my FitBit read out is. I like how I can just clip the FitBit to my bra and have no issues, the fuelband I get annoyed with it on my wrist. It is a plasticky rubber and I just don't like how it feels.
  • mmreed
    Options
    I have both the FitBit and the Nike+ fuelband. When wearing both the Nike band will be about 1000 steps ahead of what my FitBit read out is. I like how I can just clip the FitBit to my bra and have no issues, the fuelband I get annoyed with it on my wrist. It is a plasticky rubber and I just don't like how it feels.

I liked my fitbit, but for guys, it doesnt clip anywhere secure - Ive lost 2 fitbits because they fell when clipped to my pocket or pants waistband. there also isnt a good way to tether it to keep it secure if it does fall off. I was very frustrated losing 2 of these.

also - seems like the fitbit is more towards steps tracking - not total activity like the fuelband.

What is interesting is that you say the fuelband registers 1000 steps different... possibly due to hand and arm movements?

Im torn to which way to go - buy a third fitbit and hope the heck it doenst fall off and get lost again - or try the new fuelband.

I dont mind the rubbery bracelet - in fact I wear similar ones now for fashion - this would be functional too.

how durable is the bracelet?
  • CivicSista
    Options
    Its not like a normal rubbery bracelet, its thick. seems pretty durable, haven't had any issues with it.
  • Donna_DiGiacomo80
    Donna_DiGiacomo80 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm getting mine today! I bought one for my mom too for Mother's Day - I hope it's as cool as it sounds :-)

I got it to track my actual calorie burn during Insanity -
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have the fuelband and am enjoying it. It doesn't register weight lifting or biking very well, but other than that it will pick up your daily activity. I wish I knew how they determine how much "fuel" you've burned as it seems to be high on some activities and low on others. All in all, the more you move the arm with the wrist band, the more fuel you burn. The band itself is thicker than a normal rubber (or whatever it is) bracelet. It takes some getting use to. I wish I would have ordered the small as the medium moves around a lot and can get irritating.

That being said, if you take it for what it is (a tool to keep you moving more) then it's worth it. I love the led lights showing how far I have to go for my goal and the fact that it shows the time.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm getting mine today! I bought one for my mom too for Mother's Day - I hope it's as cool as it sounds :-)

You may be better off with a HRM to see a more accurate burn of cals during Insanity...but the fuelband may be fairly close.
  • CivicSista
    Options

You may be better off with a HRM to see a more accurate burn of cals during Insanity...but the fuelband may be fairly close.

I agree with the HRM, I also have one of those to track my exercise calories. The fuel band was way off as well, when doing TurboFire.
  • Donna_DiGiacomo80
    Donna_DiGiacomo80 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good to know! How much was it off by? Was it way under or over?? Humph, now im sad.
    Can you recommend a good HRM??

I agree with the HRM, I also have one of those to track my exercise calories. The fuel band was way off as well, when doing TurboFire.
  • dia9004
    dia9004 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love the band, you can challange your self . It helps me move on days when i'm tired. it reads u'r cals., fuel and steps.
  • CivicSista
    Options
    Here is my workout results:

Workout: TurboFire Fire 30

HRM-
    Calories: 455

Nike FuelBand-
    Calories: 301
    Steps: 3,737
    Nike Fuel: 1,111

FitBit-
    Calories: 265
    Steps: 3,572
    Distance: 2.13 miles
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options

HRM-

Nike FuelBand-

FitBit-

Very cool to see the comparison! Thanks
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options

HRM-

Nike FuelBand-

FitBit-

Very cool to see the comparison! Thanks

I would love to know which one is the most accurate. I have the FITBIT and was thinkning about getting something different as I find the placement of the Fitbit will drastically effect the calorie readout.
  • reginaldhenderson
    Options
    I've got all three as well (Fitbit, Nike FuelBand, HRM) and I can tell you that the Fitbit is more accurate on the steps but the HRM is more accurate on calorie burn. Nike FuelBand is a better indication of overall activity and will get you closer to accurate calorie burn without using a HRM.
  • NateFenimore
    Options
    Awesome!
  • MattUFCP90X
    Options
    I've only had my fuel band for 2 days and I like it a lot. I wish it had a HRM in it, but other than that its cool. It does suck for stationary biking and any move where you really don't move your hand like low plank ab work or push ups. It def helps to let you know you have been sitting on your butt too long. I find it gets me up to walk or move more often as its a competition with friends. also nice to see when I fall off my diet and eat something I shouldn't. I take the calories in from MFP and then walk or run until I burnt those calories off.

Next purchase will be a nice strapless HRM. My insanity workouts register low on the fuel band, and I turn it up on the workout full blast i don't play.