Are these symptoms normal when exercising?

Options

Replies

• _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It may not be the coffee. It may be you're pushing yourself much harder than your body is conditioned for. That's when I usually get those symptoms. 2 hrs of highly strenuous activity would be enough to do it. And as far as my experience goes mountain biking, if its good terrain, there isn't enough down hill to truly recover as a rest period. I wouldn't sweat it, try to take it easier.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon. Climbing on a bike is seriously hard work; if your heart and cardiovascular system aren't in great shape, you can expect to get winded regularly and need time to recover. It's tough to deliver that much oxygen to all those leg and core muscles, and it'll take time before your heart and blood vessels are up to the task.

That's certainly part of it, but it's the way I feel after I catch my breath that seems like something other than normal exhaustion.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing too much, too soon. Back off, eat properly and increase over time. If you're just starting out, you shouldn't expect to be keeping up with big boys yet. You have to work up to that. Fitness isn't just a matter of dropping pounds, you also have strengthen your heart, lungs, muscles, etc as well. This is done through progression, not jumping in and going all out on the first day.

That's my thinking.

When I've pushed too hard I also get queasy. I know my limits now through experience and don't push so hard. I remember spending an hour sat on the kitchen floor, cold sweats, trying not to vomit. :laugh:
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Please check with you Doctor. My brother in law, who is only 50 and rides regularly had similar symptoms and ended up with a quintuple bypass! He doesn't eat a very healthy diet, though.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Seeing your doctor is not the same thing as concluding that you have a medical condition. You see your doctor to rule out anything serious. Barring anything serious, you likely need more training for those serious hills. You could choose easier routes, or take more time and more rest during the routes that you're doing.
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Your doctor might arrange a stress ECG for you to rule out tachycardia or atrial fib. Thryoid imbalace can make you prone to irregular heart rates so it woudl be worth getting checked up properly
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've recently gotten serious about mountain biking, but especially where I ride, it's pretty strenuous. Especially when climbing, I have to spend half my time sitting on logs trying to recover. After a bout of climbing, my heart is pounding, I'm breathing like a woman in labor and sweat is just pouring off of me. I'll often tremble involuntarily. Sometimes I'm also super nauseous and absurdly thirsty.

I thought it was heat exhaustion, but it happens when it's not that hot too. I drink a sugar-free electrolyte drink before and during my rides.

Is this normal? I'm hypothyroid, but my numbers are good with medication. Apart from that, no medical problems. It just seems like I can't handle intense exercise, and I'm not seeing progress in this area.

Try eating some nuts before you go...If it's low blood sugar that will help stable the shakes...You might also want to work yourself up to that intense of a ride until your body is ready for it...When my body freaks out I take it easy and push a little more each time because that feeling scares me in a way(I don't like it)I even get slight chest pain if I'm doing too much too soon..YOU"RE BODY WILL OVER COME THIS STAGE unless it's low blood sugar nuts stabilize sugar levels
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon. Climbing on a bike is seriously hard work; if your heart and cardiovascular system aren't in great shape, you can expect to get winded regularly and need time to recover. It's tough to deliver that much oxygen to all those leg and core muscles, and it'll take time before your heart and blood vessels are up to the task.

That's certainly part of it, but it's the way I feel after I catch my breath that seems like something other than normal exhaustion.

You should definitely see your doctor then.
  • mtbVegan
    mtbVegan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I race mountain bikes and I am always very out of breath at the top of a climb. Are you riding with Flat Pedals or with Clipless Pedals? Some times when riding with Flats it can be a lot harder when climbing because you can long exert force on the downward pedal stroke, versus the Clipless Pedals you can push down and pull up to create a more effective and powerful climb.

I literally sound like I'm having an asthma attack at the top of a climb, especially when I'm putting forth a lot fo effort to get up the hill, rather than a slow pedal pace.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I've recently gotten serious about mountain biking, but especially where I ride, it's pretty strenuous. Especially when climbing, I have to spend half my time sitting on logs trying to recover. After a bout of climbing, my heart is pounding, I'm breathing like a woman in labor and sweat is just pouring off of me. I'll often tremble involuntarily. Sometimes I'm also super nauseous and absurdly thirsty.

I thought it was heat exhaustion, but it happens when it's not that hot too. I drink a sugar-free electrolyte drink before and during my rides.

Is this normal? I'm hypothyroid, but my numbers are good with medication. Apart from that, no medical problems. It just seems like I can't handle intense exercise, and I'm not seeing progress in this area.
    Sugar free? If you deplete your glycogen stores and continue with intense exercise, your blood sugar could drop quite a bit. Trembling/shaking is a symptom of this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    one word: DOCTOR
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    very normal, a good workout!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I got this way when I started ultimate frisbee.. now I eat a protein bar about half way through and drink something around 2 quarts of water throughout the game. Pretty much went away.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks,everybody
    It's true I am tackling some absurd climbs and I expect to have to catch my breath at the top, maybe feel weak and whatnot, but I'm getting the shaky/jittery/nausea/crazy sweating thing even early on after the second climb. I do get similar symptoms when I bike home from work after an afternoon cup of coffee. It might be that caffeine isn't the cause, but exacerbates the cause - I naturally have slightly low blood sugar. will be tracking my heart rate for a while to see how that fits in. I'll ask doctor about maybe getting a heart test too just in case, although I think that's fine.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    After a bout of climbing, my heart is pounding, I'm breathing like a woman in labor and sweat is just pouring off of me. I'll often tremble involuntarily. Sometimes I'm also super nauseous and absurdly thirsty.

Climbing hills on a bike while carrying a bunch of extra weight is extremely hard work. And it takes a long time to get good at it. And it takes practice to not constantly go into the red zone, which means it's real easy to completely blow up.

My advice is to grab a HRM and stay out of the red zone by stopping for a rest when your heart rate blows out the top of the aerobic zone.

In time, with practice, it will get better.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you check out okay with your doctor, high intensity interval training is great for developing stamina for hills. You could do shorter high intensity intervals, with easy cardio in between, and work up to those long uphill climbs.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks,everybody
    It's true I am tackling some absurd climbs and I expect to have to catch my breath at the top, maybe feel weak and whatnot, but I'm getting the shaky/jittery/nausea/crazy sweating thing even early on after the second climb. I do get similar symptoms when I bike home from work after an afternoon cup of coffee. It might be that caffeine isn't the cause, but exacerbates the cause - I naturally have slightly low blood sugar. will be tracking my heart rate for a while to see how that fits in. I'll ask doctor about maybe getting a heart test too just in case, although I think that's fine.

If you have lower blood sugar in the first place then you should know that before doing any strenuous exercise you should make sure to eat/drink to boost your blood sugar first, plus bring such items with you in case of a crash. When I read your symptoms it sure sounded like a blood sugar crash to me. Being that I'm borderline Hypo, I make sure that such workouts are accompanied with things like granola/nut bars, FRUIT (pack an apple if need be), juice along with my water. I don't like that crash feeling and others, I've found, get freaked out when they see me get all shaky and my breathing gets all screwy and I nearly pass out, imagine that. :P Eat/drink before and after a workout or take with you if you are going to be gone for a long time. Sugar-free electrolyte drinks aren't doing you any favors in this.

The other suggestions of getting a better HRM certainly can't hurt either. ;)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HRM? It sounds like you may be overdoing it... at least on the hills. I've run hard enough to feel like passing out... with my HR at about 95% for an extended time, but I've not felt quite what you're describing. I get super chills after an intense workout (i.e. long run). Can you choose slightly lesser grade hills to climb? Change gears to make the climb easier? I'd recommend a HRM if you're not already using one.

I came in here to say this ^^^^

Very intense exercise can cause nausea and vomiting. You may want to baby step your way up to those intense climbs.

I agree. You might need to increase your carb intake too. If it turns out to be reactive hypoglycemia' google using 'SMARTIES' candies to combat this.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Smarties for reactive hypoglycemia

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058561.php
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Actually, there are glucose tablets specifically for such things. I use to carry little plastic containers of them in my purse. They are chewable tablets kind of like Rolaids or Tums, but actually taste better. :p Better than downing candy I would think.