Weight lifting for weight loss-back pain

Options
I am posting this topic as an additional question related to one from earlier; "Advice needed, imitating squats".

Here is my problem:
I need to lose 20 more pounds, but I need to add some muscle mass (Who doesn't?).

I have a bit (understatement) of a weak "core". So as I am able to increase the weights I am lifting my lower back is hurting more. I am having a hard time deciding between continuing as I am, in a calorie deficit, and not increasing the weight I lift or taking a break from the deficit for a while and going into a surplus so I can increase some muscle in my midsection.

Example: If I am doing 1 arm rows using an 80lb. weight; I can pick that weight up with my right hand and walk with it to either get it, or put it away. If I were to do that with my left hand It would be a near instant "Kink" in my back that would require a chiropractor to get me walking straight again. I can also grab a 20lb. weight in my right hand and walk all over the gym and stay straight up and down without thought. Even with that little amount of weight, If I grab it with my left hand I see myself "lean" over just a bit when I go to walk around with it. My core strength is pathetically "Not" balanced or dispersed very well.

I have similar issues front and back. My abs are, by proportion, much stronger than my lower back even if neither presents anything to brag about right now:)

I can guess at the reasons: I am right handed so I will always and have always carried things in my right hand. I need to change that. As for the front/back issue... For the first 6 years of my back problems I went to standard Doctors instead of sports Drs. Without exception they all told me to avoid "all" back work. Now I am not a Doctor by any stretch, but I feel that since I can dead lift 190 without a problem it, perhaps, should have been "avoid all non-focused back work." As in strict attention to form and intent. Don't just absentmindedly bend over holding a weight. I could easily be wrong, but slow steady increases with the mentioned focus hasn't caused me any pain.

I guess being a little detail obsessed causes me confusion as well. I need to balance the strength in the midsection. I know I can't increase size in a calorie deficit, but can I balance the strength? I don't remember the term, but when a muscle isn't used for a while and is than "re-activated" thru use; that isn't really an increase in strength, but will that muscle physically tighten or shorten. If it does, that would help pull an alignment back into "balance".

My question has probably caused more than confusion than not, but any thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just to see if I posted too early.:happy:
    a "bump" as they say.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I am going to comment on this topic considering its right down my alley. I was a powerlifter for 15 years I was squatting 600lbs without wraps and a belt. That was about 20 years ago. Now I have very sore back (to the point of stopping me from moving) I decided even though I have a disability that prevents me from touching my heels on the floor, i was going to try to get back into squats, deadlifts and all that. I realized right off that my back seemed very weak. I started hitting it with a lot of lower back exercises but it didn't seem to help. I ended up working more on my ab strength and combined with a lot of hamstring heavy strength training. For me it has helping 110%. My back is gettting much stronger, I can now deadlift without any pain, squats are still a bit on the off balance but i am supporting my weight on my toes, lol. This whole process has taken about 6-7 weeks now to get to the point where i am. When i first started training legs and back again, it was like starting for the first time. Strict form not so heavy and nail the movement perfectly. I am also training on a calorie deficit btw.
  • KatieLou1022
    KatieLou1022 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have found that doing "Good Mornings" has helped to strengthen my lower back ... my problem was back spasms ... might work for you too ... or might not.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I started hitting it with a lot of lower back exercises but it didn't seem to help. I ended up working more on my ab strength and combined with a lot of hamstring heavy strength training. For me it has helping 110%.
    I have found that doing "Good Mornings" has helped to strengthen my lower back ... my problem was back spasms ... might work for you too ... or might not.
    Good advice here. I also have a weak lower back. But doing extra lower back and hamstring, glute work has been huge for my deadlifts (and to some degree, back squat).

I do my deadlifts and squats on separate days, but I treat them both as leg/back days in a sense.

So on my deadlifts day, I will start off by doing my DLs. And then for accessory work, I'll do some RDLs and Glute/Hamstring Raises (off the lat pull down machine). And on my squats day, I will do my squats first, then my accessory work is Good Mornings and Glute Bridges. And because my form still needs work, I have been doing box squats at 1/3 of my working set weight as an accessory as well.

Hope this is of some benefit! Good luck to you.