Heart rate monitor calories burned

Options
I wear a polar FT4 Heart rate monitor when I work on the treadmill. It displays both heart rate and calories burned. The treadmill I work out on displays the heart rate reading from my HRM and also calculates calories burned taking into account age and weight. Unfortunately the calories are not even close. Today the HRM showed 444 and the treadmill 362. Which one is right?

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It depends on how your HRM calculates calories burned, but if it is one that actually takes heart rate into consideration, it will likely be closer to accurate. Gym machines take your height and weight, and then factor in how hard the average person of that build would be working. Calories burned based on HR calculates your burn based on how hard you were ACTUALLY working.

However, not all HRMs factor in heart rate in calories burned. Some use the same type of formula as the gym machines and MFP and just also show your heart rate at any given time. I don't know if the Polar does this or not, so hopefully someone who is familiar with the brand will be able to answer that.
  • newlife6745
    newlife6745 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I also wear the FT4 and recently bought a Fitbit One. The Fitbit One gives me waaay more calories burned than the FT4 but I always go with whatever the FT4 says. I believe it to be more accurate once you set it up with your height/weight. Given that it shows the exact heart rate (min/max) the average zone, etc. I would go with the HRM.
  • Krista916
    Options
    I'd say go with the HRM. The treadmill only take into consideration your height and weight, where the HRM is actually monitoring the work load. I've always been told they are only an estimate. I've also read that that an eliptical is the most inaccurate piece of equiptment in the gym.
  • es513
    es513 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you were going flat between 2-4 mph, or incline less than 4%, then likely the treadmill by a long shot.

That cheaper Polar HRM assumes that a bad BMI value (they know your height,weight for BMI, and age, gender for good or bad levels) means you have bad fitness level.

That may or may not be true, and even if true now, doesn't take long to be untrue while the BMI may remain in bad range for a while.

The treadmill is merely displaying HR, doesn't use it any calculations. It's likely using the same formula's in the topic below link. If you recall your pace and weight used, and calories reported you can compare.

In fact, since treadmill is most tested equipment in labs, the formula's for calorie burn are very correct.
    And actually a way to test how far off your HRM is.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

Oh, in the link to the calculator, Gross is similar to what your HRM and treadmill is reporting - calories you would have burned sleeping or sitting, and extra doing the work.
    NET option given is actually what was burned on top of the resting calories burned, and doing MFP style exercise eat-back, is what you would actually log to eat back.

HRM is using formula's trying to tie HR to the amount of oxygen supplied to do the work.
    Formula's for treadmill are based on actual workload. Which only involves weight actually.

Does a 5 lb weight on the floor take more or less energy to pick it up if you are male or female, young or old, in or out of shape? Nope, freeing 5lbs from the pull of gravity is a constant, your ease or difficulty in doing so has no bearing on energy needed to do it. Now, you lifting it straight up compared to straight out in front of you, now you are talking a lever and increasing the weight on the end of said lever - that takes more energy arm outstretched.
    And that's why the formula's for treadmill start to lose it on steep incline, personal efficiency and method take over and cause differences.
    Same as elliptical, way to many options for personal efficiency to cause differences.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'd say go with the HRM. The treadmill only take into consideration your height and weight, where the HRM is actually monitoring the work load. I've always been told they are only an estimate.

this. with lots of people using the equipment and it never being calibrated i would go by what your HRM says. it can tell your level of exersion versus the treadmill.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Oh, here's all the reasons why your HR can be reading high totally unrelated to the workload you are constantly doing.

The funnest one to confirm is the aerobic drift.

Do the treadmill at a speed that is fairly hard, and or incline, where you'll be sweating really good within 5 min, and leave it at that setting. Note the HR throughout your effort, and go for 60 min. Be that jogging on walking steep incline.

You'll notice your HR went up through the whole effort. Did the workload change? Actually, you likely became lighter from sweating, but the HR went up. So you kept same pace and incline and basically weighed the same. But HR went up.
    Of course HRM thinks this means you burned more calories, but you are doing the exact same workload.

Known effect, among others, that shows how easy it is to get an elevated HR that has nothing to do with actually working harder.

Gotta know your tools. A chisel with a gouge in it will not give a smooth surface.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn