booze for exercise?

Options
My husband thinks if he doesn't log his exercise he doesn't need to log his alcohol either. What do you think?

Replies

• GaymonJ
    Options
    I don't ever log my exercise because I don't want to eat back the calories that I burned, but I do log alcohol. As much I would love not to it still have nutritional values need to be counted.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    well I think it will not hurt anyone but him if he drinks more than he burns.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    LOL. what? how does that make any sense?

if you don't log exercise and are not eating back the calories burned from it, you still need to net at your calorie goal. as much as I wish it didn't, alcohol has calories that must be counted towards your daily goal. if he wants more calories for alcohol he can start logging his exercise. tell your husband he's not using his noggin.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the only person who will say this but I don't log my alcohol. I just have no desire to log that when I have a night of drinking.
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The sensible thing to do would be to log both so he has a detailed record of his net calories ... however I wouldn't be surprised if the alcohol calories are at least cancelled out by exercise. 5 pints of beer is around 1000 calories and if he is exercising seriously he should be burning at least that much over the course of a week.
  • piggyb73
    piggyb73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    he's thinking that what he drinks will be pretty much wiped out by his earned calories but I think it's kinda ... stupid...
  • piggyb73
    piggyb73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    he doesn't drink that much and probably burns more then he drinks but it's the logic of a man I guess that I dont' understand
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm actually very disappointed with the caloric intake of alcoholic beverages. Whoever invents calorie free alcohol will be the next Bill Gates. That's all I'm saying.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I'm actually very disappointed with the caloric intake of alcoholic beverages. Whoever invents calorie free alcohol will be the next Bill Gates. That's all I'm saying.

I concur. walden farms... your food is disgusting but let's get that calorie free voodoo going for alcohol.
  • CurlySue8403
    Options
    Weight loss is a simple less calories in than out equation. To leave any part of that out is only hurting yourself, and by not logging your alcohol, you aren't being accountable for what's truly going in. Did you know that a single alcoholic beverage also decreases your fat burning ability up to 70% as well? Sometimes the calories and the slowing of your metabolism like that can be "worth it" if you've got a special event, but in the long run, it's really just working against you consuming it and especially not being accountable for it by skipping the logging of it. I think it's good to log your exercise too so you can use the reports function to see your activity trends over time, that really makes you face how many days you skipped or didn't do as much as you'd hoped. Personally I don't eat those calories back though when I add that though. I use custom goal settings because I watch specific macros and my caloric goals are already set for those, so I don't need to eat those calories back.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Oh God I couldnt sleep if I didnt log my alcohol because I know its full of calories and slows the metabolism somewhat.

For example yesterday I was planning on having a few wkds. Before MFP I'd have 4 WKDs on a " drink " night. Erm, no. If I done that yesterday I would have hit 950 calories. Leaving me 450 calories. That doesn't even cover my cuppas and lunch, never mind dinner! So I decided to only have one.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks if he doesn't log his exercise he doesn't need to log his alcohol either. What do you think?

I think if he's losing weight by doing this, then continue as planned (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). If not, then fix it.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Really?
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the women who run 2 miles and then get a muffin from Dunkin Donuts and think they cancel each other out :huh:
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the women who run 2 miles and then get a muffin from Dunkin Donuts and think they cancel each other out :huh:

Hahaha, definitely!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    he's only fooling himself
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I always log my alcohol to the best of my ability. I'm 22 and go out to bars every weekend, so that logging is probably... shady at best. Lol. It's hard sometimes remembering exactly what I had, especially if I'm taking unusual shots.

But I want to hold myself accountable nonetheless.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's fine but it would be more accurate if he logged both the exercise and the alcohol.

I know if I did that I would probably lose closer to .5lb per week because I can easily drink 500-700 calories in alcohol while only burning 300-400 at the gym.

He might just want to make sure it's all a wash and that he isn't eating too few or too many calories instead of just breaking even. Otherwise, if he is losing as projected, I don't see the issue.