Loss (Grief) and Loss (weight)

Options
So I lost my dad suddenly at the end of July and have been struggling with jumping back into things since. I began this process in April of 2012 with a max weight loss of 79lbs and have since gained 20 lbs of it back. I keep feeding my grief. I feel lost and just fricking SAD! How do i do this? Even now I am sad just reaching out...this sucks.

Replies

• daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss, it's a horrible thing. I lost my sister back in 2010. Tried to wake her up - and she wouldn't. I gained a LOT of weight. It's hard to WANT to work out, and diet, because nothing feels worth it. Trust me, I've been there.

What I found was that jumping back into the swing of things was what I needed to make myself both physically, and mentally healthier. It distracted me, and let me take out my anger at the situation on something (generally a workout machine.) I tried to prove to MYSELF that I could still be strong, no matter how hard the loss.

If you ever need to talk, feel free to friend or message me. I won't say it will get better, but eventually it ends up hurting a little less.
  • Mslabrooks
    Mslabrooks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I understand about coping with the death of your father. I feel your sadness. Pull from that grief the determination to get back on track. The sadness will never go away but how you deal with the sadness is the key. Decide today that you will not be a slave to the sadness and the food that you are eating to feed it.
  • CinDenn3
    Options
    First, I am sorry for the loss of your father. Second, don't make the same mistake I did. In 2009, I joined WW and lost 40lbs. . My dad was diagnosed with cancer at the end of that year. He had major surgery to remove a tumor from his sinus cavity, soft palate, and jaw, plus reconstruction. He died 8 months later. Since then, I've gained thirty pounds back. I have always heard that time heals the pain of losing someone. So far, it hasn't, I just don't visit the pain as often. I still have the sadness and the 80+ lbs. to lose. For three years I have fed the anger and grief and all I have to show for it is misery. Grief is a process that we go through -I just got stuck along the way. I know my dad is in a better place and wants me to be healthy and happy. So now I am making choices to honor my dad and his memory. I want to feel proud of myself and I believe he is proud of me for that. It is difficult but you CAN do this!