starting the journey

kieshi_goingstrong
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately I must admit that even though I have planned and attempted many diets in my head, I have actually only ever been on ONE and even then... it only lasted one week and I was only 60% committed.
I guess I thought that if I never fully commit than I can never completely fail.
However after casually jumping on the scale this morning, I discovered that not only have I gained 5 pounds in 2 months but I am now the heaviest I have ever been.
I think its time to admit that weight-loss isn't just something I want to do just the for the sake of it, BUT is actually a necessity for my health.
I am 22 years old. Diabetes affects multiple members of my family and I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago. I NEED to loose weight but I am lost and baffled as to where to begin. I am open to any advice that you guys have to offer.

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Since you have made the first step (deciding to lose weight) and have signed up, the next thing to do is to faithfully use this tool. Input your recipes and track every single thing you eat or drink (I made a separate meal category to keep track of beverages and discovered that I was using up 1/3 of my daily calorie allotment just by drinking lots of lemonade!). It will help you be more aware of what you are eating as well as the portion sizes.
    Also, track your exercise. I hate exercise - I am terribly accident prone, I hate sweating, and I get BORED easily, but I've been listening to audio books while I go for walks and it makes me want to walk for longer because I want to get to the next part of the story. Find something that motivates you to get moving and then do it, even if it's just for a little bit every day.
    I really don't consider myself to be on a diet. I am simply monitoring my food intake - I have been amazed at how easy it has been so far - and am seeing the results.

Good Luck!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Hi and welcome, new here myself so can't really offer any advice as still learning it all myself. But i'm sure the journey will be made easier with the help and support of a good group and it appears that those on here are a very good bunch.

Good luck
  • I hate exercise too!
    Even though I must admit that exercising itself isn't hard, its getting up and doing it that I find difficult. I definitely need to get motivated.
    Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    I just thought of a few more ideas. Obviously I'm still at the beginning of this journey, but I can tell you what is working for me so far.
    I have started Googling healthy recipe versions of foods I like and have been making them.
    Some easy substitutions are using whole grain pasta instead of regular (Whole Wheat tends to turn to mush if you aren't careful but Whole Grain cooks just like regular and tastes great) and sweetening things with applesauce or fruit juice instead of sugar (apple juice has a mild flavor and is very sweet).
    Also, use the Message Boards to get advice and also look through the Recipes section for healthy meal ideas. :)
  • Thanks for all your help
  • I'm new myself and like you diabetes affects many members of my family as well as high blood pressure. I am 21 and the mother of a one year old. After my pregnancy I was at my smallest size (since high school) and a year later I'm the biggest I've EVER been so I'm trying to get back to my high school weight (I was much healthier then) but there are very supportive people on this site and there is an answer to every question. I can guarantee it.... good luck you can do it!!!
This discussion has been closed.