when do you guys check your weight?

Options
When do you guys weigh yourselves ? I know to keep track of weight consistently, you gotta weigh same time ex. early in the morning or end of the day. Also, how much of a weight fluctuation is okay day to day ? Sometimes its like I alternate between weighing 2 lbs lighter and heavier day after day!! Is that normal ??
Also, how often do you check weight to track weight loss?

xx
Sarah

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Try weighing once a week, same time, same day instead of daily and you won't see all those fluctuations. As long as you know you're eating right and exercising it really isn't necessary to obsess over little changes everyday. As long as you see a general decline then you know you're on the right track.
  • AmberJewelCR
    Options
    I weigh sunday morning, naked, after I've peed, right after I wake up
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a month. I don't want to chase the scale. Some weigh everyday or once a week. Go with whatever your comfortable with. Good Luck
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday in the morning, after I pee. I feel it's important to get feedback on what I'm doing. I don't sweat if I gain weight from day to day. You have to look at the overall trend over several weeks.

That being said, I can fluctuate +/-3 lbs at ~169. One day I'll be 172, another day I'll be 166. Depends on a lot of factors. Hydration, exercise, bowel movements, etc.
  • LittleAngelamj
    LittleAngelamj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I get out of the shower.. I've heard its not good to do that, but me, myself, I like to know where I'm at every day...
  • LittleAngelamj
    LittleAngelamj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that that is my most accurate and lowest weight first thing in the morning.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning after I get up and piddle. Never after a day of lifting or drinking as I will either be dehydrated OR retaining water.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    How often you weigh yourself is up to you but I would recommend ALWAYS doing it in the morning, preferably after you've gone to the bathroom and before you've eaten. The last two things don't make a huge difference but for the sake of consistency and accuracy, you may as well. Doing it in the morning though, is much more important if you want to know what you actually weigh without the water weight and intestines/stomach full of recently eaten food. Your weight just fluctuates too much from night to night, but the fluctuation will be less from morning to morning.

Edited to say: Feel free to weigh yourself everyday, I do, but make sure you take your weight with a grain of salt if you do it that way. Gaining a lb or losing a lb from day to day doesn't mean that what you did yesterday was especially good or bad. You have to look at the overall week/month of losing or gaining trend. The way I do that is I weigh myself everyday but only record on Saturdays. Another way you could do it would be to record everyday on MFP and then open your report and look at the general trend after a couple of weeks or a month.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    every morning, sometimes every couple of days:)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I weigh sunday morning, naked, after I've peed, right after I wake up
  • akarelis
    Options
    Eight o'clock every morning. I urinate in the shower because you get everything out that way, dry off, weigh myself. Regularity is key.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When do you guys weigh yourselves ? I know to keep track of weight consistently, you gotta weigh same time ex. early in the morning or end of the day. Also, how much of a weight fluctuation is okay day to day ? Sometimes its like I alternate between weighing 2 lbs lighter and heavier day after day!! Is that normal ??
    Also, how often do you check weight to track weight loss?

xx
    Sarah

I'm +/- 3ish lbs on any given day, but I easily gain up to 8 lbs in water when Aunt Flo comes to town. I don't even bother to log weight during that week. If I get on the scale, it is just for curiousity's sake.
  • TinaA72
    TinaA72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, usually on Mondays and at the same time, usually after going to the restroom in the early am before work...
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, after I use the bathroom first thing in the morning. My weight fluctuates a lot, but I like to see it so I can drink more water or eat more fibre or something. As long as the trend is downwards, I'm a happy camper.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning (after the bathroom) and last thing before crawling into bed.
    BUT I'm not the obsessive type, so if I forget I don't kick myself for it.

I find that weighing myself every day, (2x a day!) keeps me mindful of my daily food intake. It also reminds me that there will be those daily fluctuations. For me, those fluctuations can be 1-4 pounds. The weight that I go by is the morning weigh-in.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yes Normal! sometimes theirs water weight, undigested food, and bowels you haven't gotten rid of! It adds up! :)
  • MattUFCP90X
    Options
    I'm always on the scale, not to drive me nuts, but just because its there and I like to stay focused. My goal is 145 and I normally stay in the 152-155 range. I take my weekly meaningful weight on Friday Mornings for tracking. I can easily fluctuate 10 lbs from Friday to Monday due to recovery Sunday and being less active. I Just got a Nike fuel band and that helps me not sit still so much on the weekends.

People say I go overboard with it, but it doesn't bother me not to get to it or make me change anything other than STOP EATING once I see it is above 155. Then I get to walking, running, or bike riding.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Every morning. But I track on a weekly basis, so I count my Sunday routine on the scale as my "official" progress tracker.
  • lumpy_spaceprincess
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week. Every saturday before breakfast. Saturday is my cheat day which works pretty well!
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're weighing yourself too much, if you're asking about fluctuations throughout the day? Just weigh once a week, in the morning right when you wake up.