HELP! I am so hungry - what are filling foods??

Options
I am breastfeeding twins and starving ALL the time!! I need some healthy filling snacks / small meals that aren't too high in calories. I would love to hear what you're favourites are.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    First of all you're breastfeeding...... make sure you are eating enough calories. Breastfeeding moms need more calories than average women.

Secondly - filling foods are high in protien, fat, or fiber.

Calorie dense foods - nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil. Because you are breastfeeding make sure you're not eating fat free dairy products. These foods are small portion, but pack a lot of nutrition.

Opt for whole grains as they will have natural fiber and protien intact.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    OP - what is your current calorie goal? What are you eating now?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber. I've found a 2 egg omelette with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and 1 oz of cubed ham to be quite filling, very tasty, and surprisingly low calorie.
  • jjanay100
    jjanay100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

My calorie goal is 1800+ 500 for breastfeeding - I don't usually eat that much though. I also don't eat my exercise calories.
    I opened my diary so you can see what I eat.
  • LoraF83
    Options

My calorie goal is 1800+ 500 for breastfeeding - I don't usually eat that much though. I also don't eat my exercise calories.

^that's why you are hungry.

You need to eat your calorie goal, including your allotted calories for breastfeeding and your exercise calories. Not just for your health, but for your babies as well. Calories = milk supply & healthy mom.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

If you calculated calories using MFP ..... you got a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. So exercising actually makes the calorie deficit larger.

2,300 .... if you aren't able to reach your goals..... add some calorie dense foods.... full fat everything.
  • jjanay100
    jjanay100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

You need to eat your calorie goal, including your allotted calories for breastfeeding and your exercise calories. Not just for your health, but for your babies as well. Calories = milk supply & healthy mom.
    That's why I need some help with healthy ideas ...I have stopped eating cookies, chips and junk but I need something to fill that space with.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You are going to need a lot more calories if you are breastfeeding twins. THEY take everything away from you and you aren't getting what YOU need. I eat lots of protein to fill me up for hours. LOTS of baked chicken and pork chops (mostly chicken though) and sometimes lean beef. Then eat low-calorie veggies to go with the protein.
  • LoraF83
    Options

That's why I need some help with healthy ideas ...I have stopped eating cookies, chips and junk but I need something to fill that space with.

Use fats - full fat dairy products (cheese, milk, etc), olive oil, butter etc. Snack on nuts, cheese, ice cream
    Protein - don't limit yourself to chicken; pork and beef are higher in calories
    Potatoes - great source of carbs and potassium
    Fruits - bananas, apples, grapes, etc
    Rice & pasta - great for carbs (carbs provide quick energy)
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You're breastfeeding, you're exercising, you're not eating back your exercise calories, and you're leaving un-eaten hundreds to over 1000 calories a day. Yes, that would make for a hungry mom!

I am very far from your situation, obviously. But I did find this online, and maybe it will help with food choices for you:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/your-nutritional-needs-while-breastfeeding

And I know, just for myself, that the sorts of food they mention -- veggies, fruits, whole-grains, and full-fat food -- is coincidentally exactly the sort of food that makes *me* feel "full" and satisfied after eating. So maybe that would work for you too-- and be what helps you keep feeding your baby good milk, too.

I wonder . . . what if for a week you just did an experiment and ate back your exercise calories with the sorts of foods mentioned in the link?
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Whole grains. Fiber rich foods (apples, pears, broccoli, spinach). Brown rice.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    When I breastfed my twins, I could not eat enough, I was starving all. the. time. My guys had issues so they needed my milk for nutrition far longer then most babies (one guy was over a year before he could handle solids).

You're welcome to message me, add me, if you'd like to talk, tandem nursing talk.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    My mom breastfed my twin sisters as well. Please, for your babies' sake, eat more calories. Your body is not only your body at the moment, it is their sole source of nutrition.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned legumes. Black beans, lentils, split peas, etc are super healthy and SUPER filling. They pack in protein, fiber, and complex carbs on top of tons of micronutrients :wink: I really found they made a big difference to my satiety and they give me energy!

I do agree with the others that you should be sure you are consuming enough calories for your little ones. Good luck!
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    U are looking for something filling try this: 2tbsp cottage cheese 1 small individual yogurt cup, 1 tbsp of seeds/or raw granola, a tablespoon of cereal and a bit of fruit. All heathy and I promise it will fill u up. I'm a bigger eater and it defiantly makes u full.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Up the protein in your diet, will keep you fuller for longer

Peanut butter/Greek yoghurts/Oats/Protein bars

I eat a lot of eggs, sushi, a lot of porridge with peanuts, ryvitas with cottage cheese

AND ALOT of fruit!!!!

135lbs 5ft 9